Author Topic: Who will captain us?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Who will captain us?
« on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:23 AM »
Now that Cambo is gone for a month, who will take on the captaincy duties?

Gaspar is re-learning the craft in the 2's, Stafford is out injured, Chaffey is on the verge of being dropped, Richo has been relieved of his leadership duties, as has Bowden, Brown hasn't played a season for us, which leaves who?

I suppose they'll give it to Johnson. Can anyone else think of a worthy alternative?

I can't see the likes of Ottens or Tivendale getting the nod. Maybe Andy Kellaway?

froars

Re: Who will captain us?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 09:16:22 AM »
I'm past caring - I don't think whoever they make captain will win us a game.
But i don't want to win a game either!
What a crap year.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:37:18 AM »
JohnF - How about Richo? I think he's worthy to fill in. Good year with much improved body language, encourages team mates and is good with the media.
As for next club captain, I'd say Johnson or Brown.
Unlike most I don't think Coughlan is up to being captain yet, even if he was playing. On sheer inspirational play he would be right, but I think he has a long way to go to overcome his shyness to be the mouthpiece of the team via the media and public speaking.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

2JD

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »
I'd go for Johnson, he tends to fly under the radar, mature, reliable, doesnt attract controversy, just goes about his business.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:52:49 AM »
Yeah its a tough one. They say Richo is too erratic for captain.....

I will say this: I beleive Brown should be the Captain. Time at the club shouldnt mean anything especially when on-field he looks to be the most classiest of the lot. Yeah he plays differently to Campbell but appears to be the general when he gets the ball and control things....

I heard JOhno is being groomed for next year to be the new captain so that may be another option. I would be happy with either.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:12:49 AM »
IMHO - Kane Johnson for next few weeks

3AW - last night suggested Brown should be captain next year as we need a complete overhaul of leadership structure

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 02:26:27 PM »
Johnno is the only option
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 02:36:17 PM »
Agree - Kane Johnson for captain and that goes for next year as well.  8)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 06:07:08 PM »
Kane Johnson for mine, and for the next few years also

Leads by example.

Jackstar

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 09:40:13 PM »
Kane will be captain next year, Browny will be vice. ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »
Kane will be captain next year, Browny will be vice. ;)

With Cogs in the leadership group ??? you would hope

I reckon Johnno would look pretty good in No. 17
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Captain Johnson
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
I reckon the Club heard us  ;D

'Sugar' to skipper Tigers
4:09:23 PM Fri 16 July, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Richmond has anointed dynamic midfielder 'Sugar' Kane Johnson as its skipper for Saturday's clash against St Kilda at Telstra Dome with regular captain Wayne Campbell sidelined for at least four matches with a shoulder injury.

Tigers' coach Danny Frawley said Campbell told Johnson the news on Friday morning.

"He's been a beauty since he's been over here. He's been a Richmond man all of his life, bar six years when he went over to Adelaide, so he's really excited about it," Frawley said at Punt Rd on Friday.

"Wayne told him this morning. It's no added responsibility. He's just got to go out there and perform by his actions. He's been one player who's been able to perform very consistently."

Frawley said the clash against the Saints was an important occasion, as the inaugural Ian Stewart Medal will be presented to the best and most courageous player from that match. It will honour the triple Brownlow Medallist, who is an icon at both clubs.

"It's a good day for both clubs tomorrow, recognising the great Ian Stewart. His record speaks for itself at both clubs and in football in general," Frawley said about Stewart, who was also having lunch with the Richmond players on Friday.

Frawley also spoke about the Telstra Dome surface for the round 16 clash and said it raised no issues from his perspective.

"We haven't played there for a while. The surface, as far as I'm concerned, is very good. I saw a few players slip over last week, but you've got to remember we're getting into the cold months," Frawley said.

"I think we should get a tape out of the '84-'85 games at Moorabbin, if you want to see what surfaces are like. I'd love to play on it (Telstra Dome)."

Meanwhile, Frawley said he was not prepared to comment on the playing future of ruckman/forward Brad Ottens.

"I probably won't get drawn into too much of it, but I've always said Brad's best football is going to be from the start of this year until whenever, and he was always going to take 12 months after his back operation," Frawley said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=160738

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 06:33:40 PM »
I think this pretty much answers who will be captaining us next year as well.

I'm not his biggest fan but he has been very consistent since coming over and is enjoying his best year in the AFL from an individual perspective. Good luck to him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »
I reckon you are spot on John about this elevation to captaincy is a tell tail sign Johnson will be captain next year with Brown as vice.

Like Cambo he won't be a "grab the game by the scruff of the neck" captain but he will lead by example and by his form and consistency since he's come across to Richmond from the Crows. Add to that him  being a dual premiership player he should have high respect from his teammates.