Author Topic: AFL ressies to return = End of Coburg Tigers?  (Read 4414 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: AFL ressies to return = End of Coburg Tigers?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »

would benefit all clubs if they had a reserves team !

All Clubs - How?

As I said it's all about the cost involved - some Clubs could not afford it

tv rights

how much money do the afl make and how much have they made with this new deal
they have the money but they will surely put membership prices up sau $50 which will be worth it if it gurarantees we have a reserves team

the afl have enough money to increase afl lists and squads , dont worry about that

X the people from the Big House at the Docklands released a paper just before Xmas that listed details of how all the TV money was going to be distributed - I doubt very much they'd cover all the costs involved in this.

thanx wp.

obv the afl does not know how to manage money and maximise profits like scumwood.
scumwood last yr turned over nearly 40 million dollars and only made nearly 2 mil profit! where is all their money going.
if i ran a company that turned over 40million, i would be totally pis sed if all i had to show was 2 mil for it

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »
obv the afl does not know how to manage money and maximise profits like scumwood.
scumwood last yr turned over nearly 40 million dollars and only made nearly 2 mil profit! where is all their money going.
if i ran a company that turned over 40million, i would be totally pis sed if all i had to show was 2 mil for it

Buying assets like pubs around Melbourne and spending money on junkets to Arizona where the altitude is apparently no higher than Mt Hotham lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »

Buying assets like pubs around Melbourne and spending money on junkets to Arizona where the altitude is apparently no higher than Mt Hotham lol.
:ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :jump :invasion :jump :ROTFL

Moi

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
I just wanna know what has changed since they scrapped the reserves till now.
Wasn't it better for the competition to scrap them?
I want them back, but I don't understand the U-turn.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »

Agree Moi it doesn't make any sense. The ressies were scrapped originally because the clubs couldn't afford the large lists and the other overheads of maintaining a second team. Nothing has changed on that front.

Probably another Adrian Anderson urge to change something for the sake of change :scream.

Any change would also effect the Calder Cannons - Coburg - Richmond alignment.

Moi

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 12:03:38 PM »
Any chance this has something to do with the increasing interest in soccer?
Trying to bring footy back to how it used to be for the fans.
Okay, it's a bit of a stretch, but I just can't imagine why the AFL is thinking like this.
Great for us, but financially ruining I would have thought.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
The other thing to consider is ground allocation. Where would they play?
With 5 "tenant" clubs already at the MCG it wouldn't be there because the surface wouldn't handle it. We'd be ok having Punt Rd Oval and a short walk but other clubs would be miles away, so it wouldn't be curtain-raiser matches which is probably the big allure of having reserves.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »
Spot on Fish, they wouldn't be playing games on the Telstra Dome surface as well for the same reasons.
I think it's pretty nasty of the AFL to build people's hopes up like this  :lol when for that reason alone it can't be done.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »
The MCG games would be easy to handle as all ressie games would be played at Punt Rd prior to the seniors (plus perhaps more $$$ to the RFC in the process  :pray ). It's games at the Dome that are the problem as you say Moi. They could have played on the concourse but that's banned now lol. The nearest ground to the Dome would be Arden St  :-\.

In the old U19s they use to reverse the fixtures. If Richmond were playing Essendon at the 'G then the U19's would play at Windy Hill.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Venues would be a massive problem - smart thinking :clapping

Exactly

As I said yesterday alot of the clubs could not afford it.

And as for Rohan Connolly's opinion piece this morning - what can you say ... I would say he has no idea :chuck :chuck  ;D Perhaps Rohan can cover all the costs
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »

F*** you AFL ... bring back AFL Reserves !

we should have the national competition !

Seniors and Reserves ...

am i pushing it buy saying bring the under 18's ??? each club has an Under 18's team ...

but that would end the TAC Cup !!!

i don't care ... it would be good to have the 1st,2nd's and 3rd's !

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL may resurrect reserves in 2009
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 03:04:20 AM »
League may resurrect reserves
Stephen Rielly | May 24, 2007 | The Age

AFL reserves football seems certain to return to Victoria in 2009, and with it, many of the suburban grounds that continue to serve as spiritual homes for the 10 Victorian-based AFL clubs.

Changes that are expected to be introduced by the AFL next year will make it easier and more appealing for the AFL clubs in the state to field their own reserves sides, as Geelong alone currently does, in an expanded VFL competition from 2009.

All clubs have the right to field a stand-alone reserves team but the problems of financing a second side and of sourcing players have put all but one off the idea.

The AFL, as part of a continuing review of the relationship between the state-based competitions and the elite national competition, is understood to have concluded that the current alignment system in Victoria, where surplus AFL-listed players are farmed out to a VFL affiliate, is failing both parties and putting Victorian AFL clubs at a disadvantage to their rivals in South Australia and Western Australia.

While the review has explored the possibility of establishing a national reserves competition or a stand-alone Victorian competition separate to the VFL, the consequences for the VFL clubs should they be relegated to third-tier status has produced the idea of a remodelled state competition that will combine AFL reserves sides and those VFL sides who can compete on their own.

The size of AFL lists is unlikely to increase, because the teams in other states would also need increases, but thought is being given to a return to the system which preceded the AFL/VFL alignments, of having top-up players and access to the TAC Cup teams.

While the idea of the reserves sides playing curtain-raisers at Telstra Dome or the MCG has been dismissed, an expanded VFL competition will bring regular football back to the likes of Whitten Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Junction Oval and others.

The AFL's development manager David Matthews said yesterday that, with the second-tier review under way, no final decisions had been reached.

"However, it's clear at this point that the arrangements in South Australia and Western Australia don't present the tensions or issues that are apparent at times in the VFL," Matthews said.

"Tensions between VFL clubs and AFL clubs exist because the VFL clubs exist to win and the AFL clubs essentially want to develop their players. The question is, can those competing interests, which have been managed in the past, continue to be managed or is change required?"

The AFL/VFL alignments have become increasingly problematic, to the point that one club official said yesterday: "AFL clubs are spending more and more money and time on development but where it counts most, on match day, we lose control of that. Increasingly, we don't help them and they don't help us."

Said Matthews: "We're very conscious of the fact that there is a lot of history and identity and a lot of time and effort involved with the VFL clubs and an important consideration in all of this is how they are preserved and can flourish. But the AFL clubs are in a position at the moment to determine their own destiny. It's whether we consider changing the conditions under which they could do so."

It is not only the AFL clubs that are increasingly unhappy. It is also apparent that the success of the VFL teams has become largely dependent upon the injury lists of their AFL partners.

When alignments were first created it was envisaged that AFL lists would come down to 35. But list sizes haven't decreased and there have been examples of VFL sides fielding shadow AFL combinations and few of their own players.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/league-may-resurrect-reserves/2007/05/23/1179601488742.html

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
This will be a fantastic revenue opportunity for Richmond to play reserves games at Punt Road prior to senior AFL games on the MCG.

The punt Road redevelopment will be completed in 2009, what a fantastic opportunity to show off our new facilities.

Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »
The size of AFL lists is unlikely to increase, because the teams in other states would also need increases, but thought is being given to a return to the system which preceded the AFL/VFL alignments, of having top-up players and access to the TAC Cup teams.

But who pays for this? The reason this was abolished in the first place was because of the added cost.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: AFL may resurrect reserves in 2009
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »
The AFL/VFL alignments have become increasingly problematic, to the point that one club official said yesterday: "AFL clubs are spending more and more money and time on development but where it counts most, on match day, we lose control of that. Increasingly, we don't help them and they don't help us."

Would love to know which Club official said that  ::)

Would think you shouldn't tar all the AFL/VFL alignments with the same brush  :banghead

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)