Author Topic: AFL ressies to return = End of Coburg Tigers?  (Read 4415 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL ressies to return = End of Coburg Tigers?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:50:12 AM »
AFL toys with plan to bring back reserves football
Stephen Rielly
The Age
March 8, 2007

THE AFL is exploring the idea of creating a national reserves competition, a league that would replace the various state-based competitions as the second tier of the game and involve a return to the days of "firsts" and "seconds".

The option, one of several being examined as part of a review of the relationship between the AFL and the competitions closest to it, would be expected to increase list sizes to a minimum of 55 players.

It would sever the alignments that have existed, in Victoria for example, between nine of the state's 10 AFL clubs and the VFL since the demise of reserves football a decade ago.

Fourteen of the 16 AFL clubs have been briefed on the national reserves competition proposal and several other alternatives, including the idea of an eastern seaboard reserves competition and a stand-alone Victorian reserves competition that would effectively relegate the Victorian Football League to third-tier status.

The AFL Victoria board was briefed on Tuesday night, with other state bodies, principally the SANFL and WAFL, to whom Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast farm out players not selected for a senior game, to be consulted next.

The impact an AFL reserves competition would have on the profile and quality of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL is expected to produce serious opposition to the idea from all three leagues.

While the consultative process is far from complete — the review is expected to continue through much of this year and is unlikely to have any changes introduced before the 2009 season — it is understood that several AFL clubs have indicated enthusiasm for the creation of a national reserves competition.

But more of the Victorian clubs have expressed interest in a 10-team Victorian league.

Either way, all have endorsed the idea of doing away with the farm system and of reclaiming or, in the cases of the South Australian and West Australian sides, gaining total control over the welfare and development of players from draft day onwards.

David Matthews, the AFL's general manager of national and international development, said the reintroduction of reserves football was being considered as the code looked to how it might satisfy its need to grow and develop.

"It's a second-tier review we're conducting because we're keen to review the structures of football below the AFL competition and how appropriate they are for the development of the game," Matthews said.

"It's a national project, not one concerned with state boundaries, that we hope will serve the game across the country for the next 10 or 20 years at least."

One of the appeals for the AFL of a reserves competition, either national or state based, is the access as many as 200 or more players could get to the elite AFL system, a figure far beyond any other elite sport in this country.

"We promote pretty heavily at the moment that the AFL offers 640 jobs for elite athletes at an average salary of $200,000. So in theory, that would allow us to offer even more opportunities than we do against other sports. That said, the AFL competition still has to be elite," Matthews said.

But the likelihood of change is being sold to the clubs on the grounds that the widening gap — financial and otherwise — between the state leagues and the AFL is starting to fail them both.

"There's a bottom-up perspective, which is how clear and how good is the pathway for a talented young player coming up through the system?" Matthews said. "There is also a top-down perspective, which is from the AFL competition's position, that asks how well are we meeting the needs of AFL clubs who want to develop their listed players and how and in what environment are we going to meet their needs?

"We then need to ask: can we make structural improvements across Australia or do we need to look at different structures to service our future needs?"

1: Present model remains or does so with minor changes.

2: A 10-team Victorian-based AFL reserves competition.

3: A 12-team eastern seaboard AFL reserves competition including Brisbane and Sydney.

4: A 16-team national AFL reserves competition.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/03/07/1173166799460.html

Moi

Re: AFL ressies to return = End of Coburg Tigers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:09:11 AM »
I would luv to see a pre-game match happening again, but that would probably send the VFL teams to the scrap heap.

Not sure about it to be honest.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:26:20 AM »
who cares about teh vfl/vfa teams

bring back the ressies!!!!!!!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »
Do what the fans want!! Bring back the ressies NOW!!
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
I support the 10 team reserves concept. 18 game season + final 5 over 4 weeks.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:25:14 AM »
Nationwide reserves. 

The reserves play whover the seniors do - before the actual game.

How good would it be to go to Punt rd oval, watch a game then walk to the G.

Remember those days?
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:26:28 AM »
A mistake to get rid of the reserves in the first place. I think the AFL was promoted as "the people's game" at the time.
If the reserves return, I hope the clubs which have aided an AFL club are looked after.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
I can uderstand why everyone would think let's bring back the ressies but I have just one question...

Just who's going to pay for it?

I mean we have AFL clubs no who rack up loss after loss even allowing for their AFL handouts - are how they supposed to pay for it?

The option, one of several being examined as part of a review of the relationship between the AFL and the competitions closest to it, would be expected to increase list sizes to a minimum of 55 players.

I read that to mean the rookie list would be out. A list of 55 players from the current 44 (38 + rookies) is an increase of 11 @ $80k-$100k a year = Increase player payments of at least $1 million

Again who's gonna pay for it

I know....

the supporters will pay for it with higher membership prices and admission prices

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
But can the Vic clubs afford to pay for the extended list that would be necessary to field two teams? I'm not sure.They're talking about 55 players. It would make some people happy because there'd be more of those "not quite good enough" players on the list, and this would allow people to cry out "get rid of that dud" even more often than they can now!!!!!
I suppose Geelong already field 2 teams, with their top-up players, but  they have a unique situation down there because there are no nearby competing AFL or VFL clubs, the closest being Werribee. This gives them greater drawing power for the top-ups.
The relationship with the VFL clubs works reasonably well. I'd like to go back to the "old days", but I'm not sure it is practical.

Edit - you posted while I was writing mine, WP.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
I can uderstand why everyone would think let's bring back the ressies but I have just one question...

Just who's going to pay for it?

I mean we have AFL clubs no who rack up loss after loss even allowing for their AFL handouts - are how they supposed to pay for it?

I read that to mean the rookie list would be out. A list of 55 players from the current 44 (38 + rookies) is an increase of 11 @ $80k-$100k a year = Increase player payments of at least $1 million

Again who's gonna pay for it

I know....

the supporters will pay for it with higher membership prices and admission prices

tv rights

how much money do the afl make and how much have they made with this new deal
they have the money but they will surely put membership prices up sau $50 which will be worth it if it gurarantees we have a reserves team

the afl have enough money to increase afl lists and squads , dont worry about that

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES ... BRING BACK THE RESERVES !!!

there should be all victorian teams ... 10

and maybe all the interstate teams ... 6

would benefit all clubs if they had a reserves team !

there would be more opportunities for young players to be drafted !

I REALLY HOPE THE AFL BRING BACK THE RESERVES !

play the match before the match ... if its a 2:10pm match play at 10:00 so there plenty of time to prepare !

same length matches too !

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reserves competition unlikely - AFL
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
Reserves competition unlikely: AFL
afl.com.au
Matt Burgan

AFL game development general manager Dave Matthews has hosed down speculation that a reserves competition will be introduced into the AFL, saying that a review of second-tier football in Australia will be conducted instead.

Matthews, speaking after The Age flagged the possible return of the 'twos', said the AFL was not "running around canvassing reserves options" to AFL clubs, state leagues or state league clubs.

"Inevitably, alternatives do get debated, but the AFL hasn't at any stage, for instance, said there is going to be any national return to the reserves or that we're seeking to replace state league football," Matthews told afl.com.au.

"Some of those assertions are just false."

"We really need to reassure stakeholders, based on some of the media speculation today (Thursday), that one of the real potential outcomes of this is [a continuation of the] status quo or some minor modifications to current structures," Matthews said.

"They're the more likely outcomes, rather than some of the other more extreme alternatives that are being floated.

Matthews said the AFL had no "preferred position" and hadn't specified any timing on when the findings would be determined.

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=38869

letsgetiton!

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »
afl are b a s t a r d s!

A = all
F = f%^&ing
L = losers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »

would benefit all clubs if they had a reserves team !

All Clubs - How?

As I said it's all about the cost involved - some Clubs could not afford it

tv rights

how much money do the afl make and how much have they made with this new deal
they have the money but they will surely put membership prices up sau $50 which will be worth it if it gurarantees we have a reserves team

the afl have enough money to increase afl lists and squads , dont worry about that

X the people from the Big House at the Docklands released a paper just before Xmas that listed details of how all the TV money was going to be distributed - I doubt very much they'd cover all the costs involved in this.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »
It's an "out-there" idea but has the AFL ever considered the idea of AFL clubs loaning their players to their VFL affiliate or any club in secondary competition (VFL,SANFl, WAFL) where say the VFL club pays the players wage while he's with them (make it for a season and on a rookie's salary) yet the player is still technically part of the AFL club's list so he doesn't need to be redrafted. A bit like what they have in soccer where one club can loan a player to another club so he gets game time. You might then be able to extend AFL club lists without incurring the considerable cost if you just added on another 11 players to a AFL club's list.

As for reintroducing the ressies, I'd be just as happy if Coburg were allowed to play curtain raisers at Punt Rd Oval or the MCG. I miss the actual early game. There's no point getting to the footy early anymore without them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd