Author Topic: Former AFL Chairman Ron Evans dies  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
Former AFL Chairman Ron Evans dies
« on: March 09, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
Former AFL chairman Ron Evans passes away
1 hours, 34 minutes ago | Back

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

It is with deep regret that the AFL advises that AFL Commission chairman, Ron Evans, OAM, passed away today.

Mr Evans had been battling cancer and died early this morning, Friday March 9, at Melbourne Private Hospital.

AFL Chief Executive Officer, Mr Andrew Demetriou, said the football community would deeply miss the leadership and guidance of Ron Evans.

“Everything Ron did was marked by his personal integrity, dignity, sense of fairness and humility,” Mr Demetriou said.

“Under his leadership, those values guided AFL decision-making and ensured the focus was always on improving football for the next generation, not celebrating yesterday’s achievements,” he said.

“He was a great mentor and inspiration to me personally as he was to AFL staff and everyone who came in contact with him. He will be missed but he will never be forgotten.”

Mr Demetriou said Mr Evans and his wife Andrea had been surrounded by family and friends over recent weeks, which was extremely important to both of them.

“The family has asked me to thank everyone associated with the game and the wider community who has left messages of support. This support has been quite extraordinary and deeply appreciated,” Mr Demetriou said.

The AFL’s acting chairman, Mr Bob Hammond, said Mr Evans’ term as AFL Commission Chairman stood as a model for every sports administrator in the country.

“Ron was a wonderful man and it was a privilege to work with him. He believed it was the responsibility of every administrator to leave the game in better shape than he found it,” Mr Hammond said.

“Ron achieved that objective. Every level of the game of Australian Football has benefited from his energy, rock-solid integrity and his leadership.”

Mr Evans served the AFL Commission from 1993 and led the Commission as Chairman from 1998, overseeing a period of record growth for the game at all levels.

As a player he was a champion full forward, twice topping the goalkicking while playing 64 games and kicking 210 goals for Essendon. He also had a distinguished playing career with West Perth in the West Australian Football League and was twice the leading goalkicker in the WAFL. Mr Evans represented both Victoria and Western Australia in interstate football.

He served as president of the Essendon Football Club from 1988-1992 and in June, 2006, he received an Order of Australia for his contribution to Australian football as a player and administrator, for service to business and commerce and to the community through the support of a number of charities.

Mr Evans has also been recommended by the AFL Commission for Life Membership of the AFL. The AFL Commission will also consider a permanent memorial of Mr Evans.

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=38919
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Former AFL Chairman Ron Evans dies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
RIP Ron Evans - condolences to the Evans family

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Former AFL Chairman Ron Evans dies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
Sympathies to Evans' family and friends

RIP
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd