Author Topic: Development  (Read 2035 times)

froars

Development
« on: July 14, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
Who do we blame for lack of development of the playing group?
Is there a Development Coach or team of development officers at the club?
Never really bothered to find out, but this has been a great disappointment over the last couple of years to see high draft picks like Fiora and Pettifer struggle.  Will always wonder what happened to them and would they have gone better at another club.
Anyone know if there's a person down there we can put the knife in lol.
Beck has to cop it for the recruiting, and so does the person responsible after they arrive at the club.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Development
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:45:41 AM »
Dale Weigthman is listed as our Player Delevopment Officer

see the OER main site:

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/club.htm#football
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 09:52:04 AM »
Well, he has to go then.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »
I could be wrong but I thought the Flea was more involved in finding study etc for the players so they have something to fall back on when their AFL footy career is over.

Anyway I would say sticking our young blokes on the bench for most of the game when promoted to senior level and not bringing them on until the game has alot to do with lack of development of our young guys. Not only is it a waste but as Harry has mentioned before it reduces their fitness level. Just plain dumb. Add to that trying to make a player play in a position he's not suitable to - eg: Pettifer in a forward pocket on and off for 3 years without trying him anywhere else. Not surprisingly, when on the few occasions Danny has finally shown faith in someone (Cogs and Schulz for example) and given them full game time they responded well. I still believe development comes down to the player firstly making the effort to continually improve and the coach(es) then getting the best out of that player. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
I could be wrong but I thought the Flea was more involved in finding study etc for the players so they have something to fall back on when their AFL footy career is over.

I reckon what you have a said MT is good way of describing what Flea does. A development officer or manager is more involved in developing the "off-field" rather than the "on field".

And lets be honeest - I hear alot of people saying we need "Richmond" people at the Club. Flea is the only "Richmond" person in footy Dept. that is someone who played forthe Tigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 04:46:56 PM »
Did anyone else see In the Record on the weekend they had three pics side-by-side of Chris Johnson of the Lions through his career. The first one was of him at Fitzroy - a skinnish kid. The second was a few years later at the Brisbane lines where he had obviously done heaps of gym work and was huge through the chest, shoulders and arms. The last pic of him now shows less definition than the second as his focus has been on improving strength rather than just building more muscle. It would be a nice change to see that sort of physical development in alot our players over time  :-\. I'm sure the OER ladies wouldn't mind seeing it either for other reasons ;D.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 07:05:17 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 06:54:40 PM »
Would that be Chris Johnson MT lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 07:04:54 PM »