Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 216556 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
I think Ricky needs to face the fact, that it looks like Benny's career is done and dusted

Build a bridge Ricky and get over it

Next....
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
Yep it's all over for Cuz. Ricky wrongly thought Brissy were going to pick up Ben, told other clubs to buzz off, and now he's left out to dry.

I can't believe a manager would not stop his client, who is supposedly trying to portray a new clean image, from attending a gangster's funeral  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »
I think the entire Ben Cousin's saga is a true tragedy in modern football. No winners here but many, many losers.

The Ricky Nixon stable has claimed many victims and while he may have been the first to start player management in this country, it looks as though his methods are sadly outdated and increasingly irrelevant in today's market.

Just an all round sad story, I hope the AFL take a good, hard look at this case and try and take some learnings that shrink the potential for this to reoccur.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2008, 09:48:14 PM »
I think the entire Ben Cousin's saga is a true tragedy in modern football. No winners here but many, many losers.

One winner; the media.

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:43 PM »
I think RFC would be silly not to take cousins on because the team is nilly set to go high and can you just imagin this guy EXPODING out of the center in a final. I think it would make every tiger suporter stand and roar. It would be a mistake letting him get away, 2010 will be our year and he will be prime, he's only going to want to prove him self now to all the clubs that knocked him back. I SAY GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE, HE IS A STAR!!!   :gotigers

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
He is a star on the field but off the field he is a naughty hairless little boy.

Ox

« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »
You kinda lost me a bit there Ekto but I'll ask you this:

Yes, I thought you might get lost. The students from Dallas High school were never very good with English or morals, but the girls behind the shelter shed were pretty good, even if not pretty.

Was it morally acceptable, to you, that our captain urinated on a police station this year? Should he have been sacked for that?

Peeing in public is a misdemeanor, not a criminal offence.

I wouldn't use Kane's name in the same sentence as that drug user who will never play at AFL level again.

ur so full of poo that it's oozing out of ur eyes.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #337 on: December 02, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »
You kinda lost me a bit there Ekto but I'll ask you this:

Yes, I thought you might get lost. The students from Dallas High school were never very good with English or morals, but the girls behind the shelter shed were pretty good, even if not pretty.

Was it morally acceptable, to you, that our captain urinated on a police station this year? Should he have been sacked for that?

Peeing in public is a misdemeanor, not a criminal offence.

I wouldn't use Kane's name in the same sentence as that drug user who will never play at AFL level again.

ur so full of poo that it's oozing out of ur eyes.

LOL, well the topic had some sort of rationality being argued until that comment came along  ;D

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #338 on: December 02, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Demons have said no as well now

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/12/02/Ben_Cousins_Hes_no_Saint_but_hes_no_Demon_either
The Melbourne Demons have emerged as the latest club to deny interest in Ben Cousins, reaffirming their quest for youth in ahead of the upcoming pre-season draft.

Cousins, who was brushed aside in Saturday's national draft, is hanging his hopes for an AFL return on the pre-season draft, with his manager Ricky Nixon approaching Demons chief executive Cameron Schwab in a desperate attempt to rekindle the career of the 2005 Brownlow Medallist.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

One winner; the media.

The other thing if he doesn't get picked up in the PSD it becomes a pretty clear message to the other 750 odd players that there is a limit to bad behaviour

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »
A reporter on SEN just said that Cousins' only chance is with the Eagles as a mature age rookie or with Richmond (at Sheedy's urging).
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2008, 02:37:32 AM »
Psychologist attacks clubs for bringing game into disrepute
Mike Sheahan | December 04, 2008

THE AFLPA's psychology expert says the "Cousins affair" has brought the game into disrepute, and she doesn't blame Ben Cousins.

AFL Players' Association psychologist Dr Pippa Grange has told clubs Cousins has her sympathy as the victim of a "circus".

"I believe that the 'Cousins affair' has brought the game of AFL football into disrepute," she wrote.

"At the whim of a fearful, baying public, fuelled by panicked and over-zealous politicians and a steamrolling media, the industry has bent and buckled, demonstrating that the human beings that are the hub of the AFL industry wheel are disposable, dismissable and quickly disregarded."

The emotive tirade continued: "We have allowed it to become a circus and a problem bathed in apathy that everyone just wants to be resolved.

"The self-congratulatory pats on the back that we in the AFL industry give ourselves on the creation of supportive, harm-minimisation policies such as the illicit drugs policy must seem ultimately ironic to Ben Cousins and his family when the collective power and informed wisdom of such are brushed aside for the 'greater good' of the game, the AFL engine, and the sweet taste of brand management."

Dr Grange's letter carried an endorsement of sorts from AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale, who sent an accompanying note saying: "I support Pippa's letter . . . her willingness to share her thinking with key AFL industry decision-makers."

The letter sparked a blistering response from Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett.

In a written response to clubs, Kennett said: "I am tired of the allegation and inferences that it was the clubs' responsibility to provide Ben with a second chance.

"Ben made a choice at some time in his life to use drugs. He was not a child, but an adult. His family, club, AFL was not able to help him, nor was Ben prepared to help himself.

"Successful football outcomes will be more than ever the result of team efforts, both football (departments) and administrations working professionally together.

"Where any club allows one or more person to become bigger than the club I suggest will lessen that club's opportunity of success.

"Had any club selected Ben, Ben Cousins would have become the issue for that club for as long as Ben was part of that club.

"The whole concept of team would have been subsumed by the media's interest in Ben, the resources of the club consumed in protecting/dealing with issues relating to Ben.

"AFL clubs have a duty of care to all their employees. If the addition of one person, in the view of the club, puts at risk all or part of the rest, the club must act accordingly.

"Maybe he is getting his second chance at life, and let's hope he takes it. But it might not be at AFL level.

"For all of us again, the message is clear. If we make the wrong choices in life, we may pay a heavy price."

Dr Grange said Cousins had paid a crushing price.

"We offer support to a point then struggle with our feelings of betrayal and disappointment when the inevitable relapse or ingratitude shows up.

"It may have been more acceptable had he gone to rehab in Mansfield not Malibu, had his public face been contrition not cockiness.

"At the bottom of the scrapheap is a human being; a man whose story remains unfinished and whom we as a society and an industry have a responsibility to at least look in the eye and learn from rather than passively allow to unravel in front of us.

"To anyone who is really paying attention, this is a missed opportunity of great proportions.

"I encourage you (the clubs) to reflect on the role-modelling we have really offered to the interested observer."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24747925-19742,00.html

Offline tigers_of_old

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »

One winner; the media.

The other thing if he doesn't get picked up in the PSD it becomes a pretty clear message to the other 750 odd players that there is a limit to bad behaviour

Yes, hopefully some good will come of all this. I do feel sorry that Ben had to learn this the hard way.Perhaps a career as a footy  commentator may be his next opportunity.
2014 - Grand Final

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
Richmond should go throught some due diligence and at least meet with Ben and get him to meet the leadership group, coach, whoever.  Ben Cousins fully fit would mean probably 3 -4 wins extra to the Tigers in 2009. It could save Terry Wallace's career and give Richo, Browny, Bowden etc a taste of finals action.
Why wouldnt you at least talk to him face to face. When do you get the chance to pick up a superstar of the AFL who has 4 years left in him for nothing with no-one standing in your way to inflate the price or length of contract. 
It would also be seen as an act of goodwill for the AFL who have openly said he needs to play the game to rehabilitate.
C'mon Tigers at least have a crack !! Take a chance

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »
The Club has said no so I don't know why we are seen as Cousins' last hope by the media as Healy did tonight.

The problem for Ben is his "advisors" (Nixon, AFLPA) have all along been pushing the line of what is best for Ben and that's why a club any club should pick him up. Clubs will only pick up a player if they believe it's in their and only their interest. They don't want to be a pseudo drug rehab centre for one individual when they have over 40 players to focus on getting the best out of them individually and as a team.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd