Author Topic: Catch Judd if you can - Sheahan's Top 50  (Read 1636 times)

Moi

Catch Judd if you can - Sheahan's Top 50
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
I RECENTLY invited Jonathan Brown to contribute to the eternal debate on the most valuable player of the time.

The complete player: West Coast captain Chris Judd.

I suggested to him if he were more durable, he would need to look no further than the nearest mirror for his answer.

The fact is he has struggled to stay fit for a full season in recent years, but that's another story.

Brown had no difficulty deciding where the mantle should sit.

"Chris Judd would be the best player, mate," he said.

"He's just the full package. He's explosive and he plays well in big games. The great players get marked on how they perform in the big ones.

"He won the Norm Smith the year before (2005) and could have won it last year, too. He always seems to stand up.

"Pretty durable, humble character. Never met the bloke, but he seems to have the same sort of humility that Vossy (Michael Voss) does, I reckon.

"You wouldn't mind having half his leg speed. Reckon I'd kick 10 goals every week."

Pretty compelling case, really. Imagine Brown on Judd's legs.

This time last year, I named Barry Hall at No. 1, with Judd immediately under him.

The rationale was simple enough, and based on one of Jack Dyer's numerous quotable quotes: "A good big man will always beat a good little man . . . unless the little man is very, very good."

I have reversed the order this year on the basis of Judd's contribution to West Coast's 2006 premiership and Hall's failure to deliver for the Swans.

It was as close as that.

Judd, 23, is just about the complete player. Not so small, either, at 189cm.

His peers voted him the most valuable player in the competition in 2006 with 181 votes, more than double the number recorded by the runner-up, Brownlow Medal winner Adam Goodes.

Judd had the most possessions on the ground in three of West Coast's four finals, including the Grand Final, and was equal fifth in the other.

He averaged 16 kicks, 13 handballs and eight clearances in finals, amazing numbers.

Hall comes in second because of his extraordinary durability and consistency.

He finished second on the 2006 goalkicking table (including three finals) and took the most contested marks.

Brown's best might be better, but Hall just keeps fronting up and delivering. He has played 116 games in five seasons with the Swans, topping the goalkicking in each of those seasons, with a minimum 55. Playing virtually as a centre half-forward.

If Brown were to play 18 or more games in the form he showed in the first 10 rounds last year, he will be No. 1 come season's end.

Dean Cox is the best ruckman in the competition and sits comfortably among the top five. Even after watching him for five years, he still amazes with his mobility and dexterity for someone standing 204cm.

Matthew Pavlich, Goodes, Brad Johnson and Nick Riewoldt are next and can be rearranged to suit. Consistent, classy, productive, all of them.

Riewoldt needs only to improve his kicking to go to the top of the quartet.

Shaun Burgoyne is the player with the red bullet.

He is a super talent. His brother, Peter, is a high-class player; Shaun is even better.

Chad Cornes rounds off the 10 as the most valuable defender in the competition.

For the first time in 14 years, none of James Hird, Nathan Buckley or Robert Harvey is in the 50.

They will be when the season starts, but age and their coaches will see them slip out as the year unfolds.

Harvey is 35, Hird and Buckley 34. They will be nursed through, spending considerable time on the bench.

Harvey is a marvel. He was excellent yet again last year, playing all 23 games, while Buckley started in 21 and Hird 13. Harvey finished fourth in the Saints' best-and-fairest, Bucks missed the top eight in the Copeland Trophy. Hirdy still managed to finish sixth in the Bombers' B&F from virtually half a season.

The Essendon champ will play three or four blinders, but history says blokes don't become more durable, quicker, stronger or better in their mid-30s.

The biggest mover on my list is Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands. From nowhere in 2006 to 14 . . . and climbing. There are commentators, principally Gerard Healy, who would see him as undersold at 14.

I, too, watched him accumulate 516 hitouts from 21 games last year, including 39 in the preliminary final loss to Sydney. His reputation has grown with remarkable speed.

If he is as good as Healy and others suggest, expect to see plenty of him – and the Dockers – come September.

SHEAHAN'S TOP 50

1. Chris Judd (West Coast)

2. Barry Hall (Sydney)

3. Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions)

4. Dean Cox (West Coast)

5. Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)

6. Adam Goodes (Sydney)

7. Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs)

8. Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)

9. Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)

10. Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide)

11. Brendan Fevola (Carlton)

12. Simon Goodwin (Adelaide)

13. Scott West (Western Bulldogs)

14. Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)

15. Daniel Kerr (West Coast)

16. Brendon Lade (Port Adelaide)

17. Ryan O'Keefe (Sydney)

18. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)

19. Matthew Lloyd (Essendon)

20. Brett Kirk (Sydney)

21. Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)

22. James Clement (Collingwood)

23. Simon Black (Brisbane Lions)

24. Adam Hunter (West Coast)

25. Luke Power (Brisbane Lions)

26. Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda)

27. Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)

28. Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)

29. Scott Lucas (Essendon)

30. Nick Stevens (Carlton)

31. Cameron Bruce (Melbourne)

32. Paul Chapman (Geelong)

33. Luke Ball (St KIlda)

34. Dustin Fletcher (Essendon)

35. Andrew Embley (West Coast)

36. Lindsay Gilbee (Western Bulldogs)

37. Craig Bolton (Sydney)

38. Joel Bowden (Richmond)

39. Darren Glass (West Coast)

40. Brett Burton (Adelaide)

41. Luke McPharlin (Fremantle)

42. Andrew McLeod (Adelaide)

43. Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide)

44. Aaron Davey (Melbourne)

45. Daniel Cross (Western Bulldogs)

46. Tyson Edwards (Adelaide)

47. Daniel Wells (Kangaroos)

48. Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs)

49. Graham Johncock (Adelaide)

50. Brock McLean (Melbourne)

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21435277%255E19742,00.html

Moi

Re: Catch Judd if you can - Sheahan's Top 50
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »
Two that come immediately to shock me are Scott Lucas and Fletcher from the Bombers at 29 and 34 respectively.

Pleeese!

Moi

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:18:05 AM »
No Cousins  ::)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
A couple of them might be cousins.  8)
Maybe Mike thinks Benny's sad situation points to him having had his performances enhanced. If he does, I'd tend to agree. He should still be in the top 20 anyway if the list is fair dinkum about who performs.

Brown at 3 when he rarely takes the field.  ??? Lenny Hayes at 21 when he didn't play after round 9.  ??? Gary Ablett Jr missing.  ???
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:51:39 AM »
Gary Ablett Jr missing.  ???
Yep, another glaring one  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
In the actual paper Mike puts Cousins in his "injured/unavailable" list. Browny and Simmo  ::) were also there. Simmo had a break in his ankle Mike and will miss only the first couple of rounds but we leave him out while injury-prone players that FF mentioned are high up on top 50 anyway. Lloyd ripped his hamstring off the bone yet is still at 19.

When you look at each club separately there is some odd ordering:

* Hall better than Goodes especially after last year's GF ???.

* Riewoldt in the top 10. His kicking for goal is even more unreliable than Richo's.

* Griffen the 5th best doggie  :rollin. No way is he in the top 50. Is he this year's poster boy? On the front cover of the liftout as well.

* Hunter at 24. I would have him in the top 10. A matchwinner who can play both CHB and CHF.

* Scarlett at 27 after last year's form.

* McPharlin the 3rd best docker  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd