Author Topic: Three Tiger cubs may debut  (Read 2083 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Three Tiger cubs may debut
« on: July 14, 2004, 04:35:41 PM »

3:41:23 PM Wed 14 July, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond might have only farewelled retiring veterans Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers last Saturday but their potential long-term replacements could debut as early as this weekend, ushering in a new era at Tigerland.

Richmond football director Greg Miller has revealed three youngsters are in line to make their AFL debuts this weekend - against league leader St Kilda at Telstra Dome.

And in a further boost, reigning Jack Dyer Medalist Mark Coughlan will make his comeback from a severe groin injury in the VFL this week.

The Tigers' top draft pick last year Alex Gilmour plus fellow 18-year-olds Daniel Jackson and Andrew Raines - the son of Richmond legend Geoff - are all in contention for senior selection this week.

"They are all a chance and it will be interesting to see which ones get the nod," Miller told afl.com.au on Wednesday.

Miller said fellow youngsters Tom Roach and Brent Hartigan, who have both already tasted senior football this year, were also a chance to return as the Tigers look for replacements for injured duo Wayne Campbell and Rory Hilton and the retired Rogers while Joel Bowden is also in doubt with a knee injury.

The Tigers' chief said the imminent debuts of the three youngsters would give success-starved Richmond fans something to look forward to over the last seven weeks of the season.

"Last week was disappointing as we farewelled Matty Rogers and Duncan Kellaway but any Richmond fans that went to the VFL to watch Coburg the following day would have been excited,' Miller said.

"All the youngsters were terrific. Gilmour kicked seven goals while Jackson played well on (Hawthorn veteran) Nick Holland, Roach and Raines were burning up the wings and Hartigan played well."

The Tigers have lost their last seven in a row to again slide out of finals contention - echoing similar fade-outs since round eight in both 2002 and 2003 - but could soon welcome back Coughlan.

The tough midfielder has not played since round five due to what the Tigers referred to as ‘pubic instability’ - a combination of lower stomach and groin problems, but Miller said Coughlan would definitely play for Coburg this weekend with the aim of returning to the seniors for the round 17 clash with Melbourne at the MCG provided he pulled up well.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=160202
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Three Tiger cubs may debut
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
I keep seeing in all the Coburg match reports that Jackson did well. I saw him hold his own for 3 quarters and then get towelled up by Nick Holland in the last.
Not saying this as a negative because I'm a Jackson fan and it's no disgrace to be beaten by such an experienced player. Just wondering if the scribes were at the same game as me.
Gilmour would have to walk into the side. Raines particularly impressed me, he has really come on and looks to have bulked up a bit.
I know a lot of people wouldn't want to hear this, Marsh was very good and if promotion is based on performance then I think he deserves a go.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »
Raines particularly impressed me, he has really come on and looks to have bulked up a bit.

I didn't get to see Coburg last week (1st game I have missed all year :'()

But Raines has impressed me all year. Why he spends so much time on the bench is beyond me (perhaps just getting him ready for the seniors :-\ ;D).

I have heard Greg Miller say a couple of times that Raines has come along better than the thought - they expected him to play mostly in the TAC Cup for the Clader Cannons but he has really worked hard.

On bulking up - I think he was around 68kgs when he arrived and is now 74-76kgs. Slowly but surely he's getting there. ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 12:25:27 PM »
Is Raines really ready? I mean if he has spent so much time on the bench for Coburg is he going to be ready for the seniors?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 12:37:18 PM »
om21 in my opinion we have nothing to lose, except priority picks so lets give him a go and why not morrison while were at it! Lest try to get them up to speed as soon as possible, we can live in hope that the Tigers can find a team like the baby bombers...

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:42:55 PM »
Fair point....do we get a cheesy name like the Tiny Tigers as well?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:51:39 PM »
Fair point....do we get a cheesy name like the Tiny Tigers as well?

Sure beats being call called "toothless" ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)