Author Topic: Drug net getting bigger and bigger according to the Sunday Age  (Read 2176 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
For those who DONT buy the Sunday Age, you should get your hands on a copy this weekend, mail is they will expose other drug users ;)Should be a good read

No names but Worsfold says 8 past and present Eagles players use/used drugs.
Another guy busted for smuggling drugs claims to have seen 3 premiership players including a Brownlow medalist snorting lines of coke.
And finally claims a former Melbourne based champion player now in media is being investigated by drug squad police as part of a wide-ranging inquiry into a so-called "rat-pack" of sport, media and entertainment cocaine users.

The net is getting bigger  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Drug net getting bigger and bigger according to the Sunday Age
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »
The SUnday Age what a joke - they took a full page to say what MT said in a coupld of sentences

Caro named 5 players though ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
And finally claims a former Melbourne based champion player now in media is being investigated by drug squad police as part of a wide-ranging inquiry into a so-called "rat-pack" of sport, media and entertainment cocaine users.

Honest, I'm not lyin' but they're talking about this on Bigfooty  ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »

Thank you  ;). Not very subtle about who it is are they lol.

We don't have any recently retired tigers in the media (apart from old KB) so we can rule any ex-Richmond players out anyway.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:07:37 AM »
In the Australian, the Eagles are claiming they are now drug-free, including Kerr, after 3-months worth of drug testing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:05:29 AM »

"He"'s denied it and Hutchy now is saying it's ludicrous that his name was brought up in the internet innuendo.

Also Miller was on SEN this morning sticking up for Wayne Johnson. Greg said Caro has been after Johnson for a while (over his drug history) and is unfairly trying to get rid of him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »
Lyon denies drug rumour
Monday Mar 26 13:00 AEST
By Tony Jones
National Nine News sports presenter

Given the AFL's 2007 season officially gets underway this Friday night, those who mix in football circles should be on a real high this week.

But being on any sort of "high" at the moment is fraught with danger; guilt by association.

Having fed off the West Coast Eagles for the better part of a fortnight, it was only a matter of time before the media would turn on itself.

Football's rumour mill has long been swirling with talk of high profile ex-players-turned-commentators mixed up in illicit drugs.

The finger-pointing and cryptic mobile phone conversations have now reached fever point following an article in Melbourne's Sunday Age which indicated that one such person was central to a police investigation and is poised to be charged.

The resume reads as this:

- a player of distinction at a Melbourne-based club

- high profile member of the media

The field suddenly narrows and that's a slap in the face to the likes of former Melbourne champion and Channel Nine identity Garry Lyon.

It seems that Lyon's name is frequently mentioned when it comes to these drug rumours to the point where he has gone public in his denial.

"I can categorically state, 110 percent, that it's not me" Lyon told the Herald Sun newspaper.

"It's a slap in the face when people ask. It's certainly not me,” he said.

I felt a sense of guilt reading the last quote given that, despite my friendship with Lyon, I had cause to phone him over the weekend to ask similar questions.

Not for a moment, did I seriously suspect Garry was caught up in any such activity but I needed confirmation from the man himself.

Another who "fits the bill" is former North Melbourne star Wayne Carey. As a result, he's found himself the subject of a headline "Carey stays silent on drug use ducking a hot topic".

All this because Carey was within earshot of his young daughter and not prepared to comment.

Lyon, himself, is a father to three young boys. What must they think when they read of their dad's supposed links to illegal activities?

Like most footy scandals this one has a limited life.

Soon, there'll be more controversy to cover.

Surely it's only a matter of time before we (the media) start umpire bashing and criticisng the surface at Telstra dome.

Then again, best we steer clear of grass and white lines.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=256688

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:14:37 PM »
Wayne Carey has now come out said it isn't him either.