Author Topic: Open letter from Andrew D re AFL Drug Policy  (Read 1250 times)

Moi

Open letter from Andrew D re AFL Drug Policy
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »
An open letter from the AFL chief executive to all Australian football supporters.

AS a key stakeholder in the AFL competition, I would like to take this opportunity to brief you on our illicit drugs policy and our anti-doping code relating to performance-enhancing drugs.

Let me stress a key fact and that is our organisation is the only one in Australian sport which tests for illicit drugs out of competition

As you are aware, our response to illicit drugs over the past few weeks has been subject to substantial media coverage since the West Coast Eagles announced that they were indefinitely suspending Ben Cousins.

Firstly, our thoughts are with Ben Cousins and his family. The AFL and the West Coast Eagles are committed to continuing to support Ben and his family and provide any assistance we can to help him to overcome the current challenges he faces due to substance abuse.

Our primary focus is Ben and his family – football is not the issue.

Secondly, we will continue to work with all AFL clubs and players to build better responses and a better system to tackle illicit drugs. We care for the health and welfare of AFL players and will continue to educate and do all we can reasonably be expected to do to prevent them from using illicit drugs and to arm players with the information and guidance needed for them to make the right decisions.

Ultimately, players will make choices and if they make the wrong choice, we will provide counselling and rehabilitation as part of an overall response.

If following our current review we need to do more target testing or increase the number of out-of-competition tests for illicit drugs, that’s what we will do.

It is also worth considering what Justice Murray Kellam said in a Supreme Court judgement concerning the Illicit Drug Policy last year:

"It is argued before me that bearing in mind that the ID (Illicit Drug Policy) imposes a regime upon players over and above the World Anti-Doping Association compliant Anti-Doping Code, the IDP reflected ‘a ground-breaking, innovative and co-operative initiative’ between a major sporting administration body and a player representative body directed at proactively addressing illicit drug use in a manner designed to protect the health and welfare of players and others whilst simultaneously condemning and recognising, the potential harm involved with the use or possession of illicit drugs. I accept that argument."

The AFL has a history of being prepared to tackle difficult issues as we have demonstrated through our racial and religious vilification policy and our respect and responsibility policy to address attitudes to women. In both instances, we were the first Australian sporting body prepared to address these issues.

We have also been prepared to be the first Australian sporting body to tackle the issue of illicit drugs through out-of-competition testing because we are genuinely concerned about the health and welfare of players.

It is clear from recent public debate and commentary that not everyone will agree with our approach but as we did when developing our racial and religious vilification and respect and responsibility policies, we sought the advice of experts in the field to help us develop the system.

In the current environment, we will also not make short-term decisions but take our time and again seek the best possible advice – from AFL clubs, drug prevention experts, players and other stakeholders.

The introduction of our illicit drugs policy some two years ago came about after statistical testing indicated that the use of illicit drugs by players had increased during a four-year period.

With the support of the AFL Players’ Association, we introduced our illicit drugs policy which provides more training, more resources, more support and more testing than any other professional sport.

So how is the AFL different from other sports in its bid to tackle illicit drug use?

All major Australian sports are compliant with the World Anti Doping Authority Anti-Doping Code. This anti doping code is often referred to as the WADA code. The AFL is fully compliant and has zero tolerance to performance enhancing and illicit drugs on match day and performance enhancing drugs out of competition.

In relation to illicit drugs on match day, if an AFL player tested positive for cocaine on match day, that player would be suspended for two years.

We differ from other national sporting organisations as follows:

* AFL players are tested outside of competition for illicit drugs. Athletes in other sports are not tested out of competition for illicit drugs other than the NRL, which currently allows clubs to test players for illicit drugs and is considering adopting a competition wide illicit drugs policy for out of competition.

* The AFL’s out-of-competition testing for illicit drugs is in addition to the WADA compliant in-competition testing program conducted by the Australian Sports Anti Doping Agency.

* The AFL has a comprehensive education and prevention program including counselling to try to prevent illicit drug use.

* The AFL has a system to target-test players suspected of using illicit drugs.

* The AFL releases the results of out of competition testing for illicit drugs each year.

* AFL players have agreed to be tested for illicit drugs out of competition under a policy applicable to all AFL Clubs and players.

Our message is clear. Do not take illicit drugs. We believe that one positive test is one too many but we also know that illicit drug use is a difficult and complex public health issue.

Our policy is consistent with the Federal Government’s National Drug Diversion Initiative which sees drug users diverted into counselling rather than the criminal justice system.

Our aim is to prevent illicit drug use and change behaviour. But our policy also recognises that if players fail to heed the message or take advantage of counselling they will face suspension.

We have also included following this letter a summary of comments from various experts in the field in relation to our illicit drugs policy for your consideration and have attached separately a comparison between the approach of various sports to performance enhancing and illicit drugs.

I hope you find this information useful and it provides you with a better understanding of the AFL’s Illicit Drug Policy and our ongoing fight against drugs.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Demetriou,

Chief Executive Officer

Comparison of all Sports on Drugs in Sport

What do Australian sporting organisations do to combat the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs?

All major Australian sports comply with the WADA Code. Under WADA, drug testing consists of:

In competition (match day) testing for performance-enhancing drugs and illicit drugs.

Out of competition (365 days a year) testing ONLY for performance-enhancing drugs. There is no WADA testing for illicit drugs outside of competition.

What do sporting organisations do to combat illicit drug use?

Match Day or In Competition: The AFL has joined with other major sporting codes in adopting the WADA Code for testing and sanctioning for match day use of illicit drugs (e.g. ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana). Any player in any major sport who tested positive for cocaine on match day would be automatically suspended for two years).

Out of Competition: The AFL is the only Australian national sporting organisation to have a system to detect illicit drug users and provide help and counselling to change their behaviour. The system also allows for the players to be sanctioned (i.e. suspended, as well as counselled.)

The AFL is the only sporting competition in Australia that has a policy of testing and sanctioning players for illicit drug use outside of competition.

SPORTS CODE
 TYPES OF DRUG
 IN COMPETITION

(match day testing)

All major Australian Sports comply with the WADA Code
 OUT OF COMPETITION

AFL Illicit drugs 2 years
 Tested for illicit drugs.

A third positive test results in ban of up to 12 matches.

Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs
 2 years
 2 years

Other Football Codes – eg NRL, ARU, FFA
 Illicit drugs 2 years
 No Testing*

2 years
 2 years

Olympic Sports – eg swimming, athletics, cycling
 Illicit drugs 2 Years
 No Testing

2 years
 2 years

Illicit drugs include cocaine, ecstasy, amphetamines, marijuana etc.

Steroids include all performance-enhancing drugs and masking agents etc.

* Some NRL clubs conduct in-house tests. NRL currently considering adopting an illicit drug policy.
(Updated March 26, 2007)

COMMENTS FROM VARIOUS EXPERTS IN DRUG TREATMENT

Dr Rob Moodie, Chief Executive Officer, Victorian Health Promotion Foundation:
“I am writing to add my support to the AFL’s approach to the management of illicit drug issues. I know that the AFL complies with the WADA regime in relation to performance enhancing substances. The fact that the AFL has chosen, with the support of the Players’ Association to address other illicit substances is commendable. Importantly, the Illicit Drug Policy both focuses on player welfare and reduction of use of illicit drugs in AFL teams. The strategies in place to reduce illicit drug use involving a series of confidential interventions is the most appropriate if the goal of player welfare is to be met”.

Professor Nick Crofts, Director, Turning Point Alcohol & Drug Centre:
“Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre is a leading agency in Victoria in relation to alcohol and illicit drug treatment and policy issues; as such we are deeply involved in developing rational and effective practice and policy on alcohol and other drugs in many areas of life and with many communities.

“From this background, I am writing to commend the AFL in its approach to the management of illicit drug issues among its players and urge you, with any support we can offer or provide, to hold the line against those who call for quick fixes based on emotion rather than evidence”.

Professor Margaret Hamilton, Member, Australian National Council on Drugs:
“I am aware that the media and community regularly call for tough, confrontational naming and blaming type responses. In my experience, these are most unhelpful in actually achieving behavioural change. While there is a place for confrontation within a trusting, supporting counselling relationship, this is not usually helpful if and when it is public. My own approach in working in this area for over 35 years has always been to maintain a stance that is both humane and pragmatic. My reading of the IDP suggests that it is consistent with this approach".

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=40068