Author Topic: David Rodan  (Read 13233 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Rodan
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
Bugger, I was glad to get rid of him as apart from his ball bouncing he was fairly crap but bad news to hear him with another knee injury

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rodan sacking still lingers at Tigerland (Backpagelead)
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »
Rodan sacking still lingers at Tigerland
Jon Pierik
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 21:51

Former Richmond powerbroker Greg Miller says the Tigers had no regrets about trading the AFL’s “bionic man” David Rodan after the 2006 season but has revealed his messy departure left a lasting legacy at the embattled club.

Tiger supporters this week have again bemoaned the departure of Rodan, who, in his second match back after a radical knee reconstruction, gathered 27 possessions and powered Port Adelaide to a stunning 10-point win over St Kilda at AAMI Stadium last weekend.

Depending on who you talk to at Tigerland, Rodan was either unfortunate or treated shabbily after the ‘06 season when he inadvertently, and embarrassingly, heard he had been sacked by the Tigers during an acceptance speech by skipper Kane Johnson at the club's best-and-fairest count.

Rodan had struggled that season after returning from his first knee reconstruction, and coach Terry Wallace, having just finished his first year at Tigerland, felt Rodan wasn’t part of his ultimately doomed five-year plan.

The nuggety onballer was snapped up with a seventh-round selection in the national draft by the Power and rebounded so well he went on to play in the club’s losing grand final against Geelong.

Rodan has been pretty much a consistent performer since, again demonstrating his commitment and determination to return to AFL battle just 122 days after agreeing to pre-Christmas knee surgery that used a ligament of industrial-strength polyester fibres to replace his torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Miller, then Richmond football director, said Rodan had been the perfect clubman at Punt Rd but the match committee felt he couldn’t consistently win a midfield berth in a team that, ultimately, finished last in 2007.

“He didn’t have a good year and I guess Terry didn’t see him going ahead at the end of the year. It was his first year back after a knee op,” Miller told backpagelead.com.au. “There’s a million of those stories, aren’t there?

“The one thing I will say about him was that he was a fantastic clubman, everyone liked him, everyone was rapt to see him doing well. He was a popular person. He used to do rap dancing in the rooms, light up the room. He was a good rap dancer.”

Asked whether Rodan perhaps deserved more time to recapture his form after his initial, and traditionally repaired, knee reconstruction, Miller replied: “I think that’s a fair comment.”

“Some players need a change. He was a young guy, he’s done well,” Miller said.

“As you know, last year he got dropped for a few games. In terms of the decision, I don’t think Terry or any of the match committee had a regret one way or the other because these decisions are made all the time. The needs of a team and the balance of a team always differ.”

Miller said he wasn’t at the Tigers’ best-and-fairest count on that infamous night when Rodan, Tom Roach, the son of club great Michael, and rookie Jeremy Humm prematurely all discovered they were no longer wanted, prompting assistant coach Brian Royal to immediately deny the club had made any decisions about the trio's playing future.

Suffice to say, they weren’t at Punt Rd for pre-season training.

Miller said the embarrassing incident prompted the coaches and match committee to resolve to stop even informing the captain about what future trade plans were.

“It was a difficult thing. Sometimes you tell players early, sometimes you don’t, sometimes you wait until trade week,” Miller said. “I think the most important thing out of all that was to keep it a secret within a tight group.”

Miller, now working with player manager Ricky Nixon at Flying Start, said best-and-fairest counts held during the trade period were fraught with danger.

“I remember Peter Bell winning the best and fairest at the Kangaroos and the deal (with Fremantle) had already been done,” Miller said of the 2000 incident.

“He was getting up and had won the best and fairest, people were booing him instead of cheering him.

“Nowadays you are clever to not tell any player that may be drafted or traded until after the trade period. And, of course, that period after the grand final is when the trade period is on. They don’t marry in well the timing of those two events.”

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/1084-rodan-sacking-still-lingers-at-tigerland

FNM

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
A lot of people said Rodan was aware he was going to given the chop
Always remember that night and I don't think he was aware given his reaction and him telling me he didn't know
Very embarrassing for all of them
Kane's darkest hour  :wallywink

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
What is a rap dancer?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
A lot of people said Rodan was aware he was going to given the chop
Always remember that night and I don't think he was aware given his reaction and him telling me he didn't know
Very embarrassing for all of them
Kane's darkest hour  :wallywink
I was at that B&F and was chatting to one of my mates who was on the senior list at the time about half way through the night and before Kane's speech.
I asked him if he knew who was leaving the club and he was able to list all of the players Kane mentioned, including Rodan who he said had agreed on terms to leave as he still had a year of his contract remaining.

TigerTimeII

RODAN
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2010, 11:42:18 PM »
THIS IS WHY WE GOT RID OF HIM

DOWN HILL SKIER

HACK

TigerTimeII

Re: RODAN
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »
who needs that rodant

yesterday i saw all our midgets have a real dip, nason, nahas, white, edwards, king etc

yet

i sw rodant show his true colors..hack

Tigermonk

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »
who tagged Rodan

TigerTimeII

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »
who tagged Rodan

i forget who was on him, with all the rotations, but i hardly saw rodan on the tv screen, the rodant was hiding

Tigermonk

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
who tagged Rodan

i forget who was on him, with all the rotations, but i hardly saw rodan on the tv screen, the rodant was hiding

haha mate he was there  ;D his the same color as the mud  :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
who tagged Rodan

Didn't notice anyone specifically tagging him TM.  I have a feeling that Hardwick might have known he would go missing when the conditions demanded tough hard work and probably backed his opponent to do more damage regardless.  Despite all the hoo ha about how hard it was coming back from Darwin I can tell you this - Port were totally unprepared for our physicality - it shook them very early on and they never recovered - and that was well and truly before they ran out of legs because of Darwin.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
Hard to tell on TV but it looked as though Edwards played on Rodan in the first half and King in the second half.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Tigermonk

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
Hard to tell on TV but it looked as though Edwards played on Rodan in the first half and King in the second half.

how was Edward & King games ??  ;D

TigerTimeII

« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »

how was Edward & King games ??  ;D

edwards played a brilliant game, getting better week in week out, and king was very good, cant fault him either

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
Rodan was never gonna be much chop with a couple of knee reco's in that weather to be fair.  Our blokes were stuffing fantastic and hard at it all day.  Tuck was like earthmoving equipment in the packs lol.
Lots of people name their swords......