Author Topic: Smorgon has a go at Browny / March blasts Smorgon and Dogs  (Read 2822 times)

Moi

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Smorgon has a go at Browny
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:06:54 AM »
Yet Libba scratching opponents faces was a fine example of being a bulldog ::).

Browny was the one along with Sugar who turned up to see Tyler Fishlock at short notice. So much for him caring for only about himself Smorgan  :sleep.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »
Smorgon swipe at 'mercenary' Brown
02 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Daryl Timms

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has fired a salvo at his former champion player Nathan Brown, saying the star forward joined Richmond for the dollars.

"The only fellow that left our club, I would say for the wrong reason, was Nathan Brown," Smorgon said on 3AW.

"He went for dollars.

"And he went because he could not look me in the eye and say, 'I'm committed to do what I need to do for this footy club'.

"Why was Browny the only one who would never go to community groups? He would never go and do the things and was always handpassing to someone else to go and do it."

Smorgon said that while he hoped Brown recovered from his leg injury quickly, the Bulldogs were a better club when he left.

"We took a stand and that's why we are a better club and it had nothing to do with Nathan Brown per se," he said.

"We were a stronger club because someone that fundamentally didn't want to be there was out of there and we made a statement with Nathan.

"And it could have been anyone else that we made a statement with at that time but he left because of his reasons. He didn't want to be there. And, frankly, when he left everyone else knew they had to be there for the right reasons and that's why we are stronger."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21488017%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:12:49 AM »
Brown's exit helped Dogs: Smorgon
AAP with Samantha Lane | April 2, 2007

"We've all moved on and I am really sorry that Nathan has hurt his leg again, I hope he comes back very quickly; but we're a better club when Nathan Brown leaves … a stronger club because someone who fundamentally didn't want to be there, was out of there — we made a statement with Nathan."

Wallace's column last week, in which he analysed the Dogs, clearly generated plenty of talk at Whitten Oval.

"Frankly, it's about time Terry let go of some of the issues that were at the Bulldogs four or five years ago and moved on," Smorgon said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/browns-exit-helped-dogs-smorgon/2007/04/01/1175366081328.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:14:29 AM »
Smorgon sparks row over Brown's exit
Samantha Lane | April 2, 2007

Brown's manager, Jim Panna, hit back immediately, demanding that Smorgon retract and apologise for his comments, also threatening to publish the last contract the Bulldogs offered Brown.

Panna, speaking on Triple M, said he believed Brown left the Bulldogs "because the Western Bulldogs did not want him there".

"And that is an absolute fact because Nathan Brown was offered less money than he was on after leading the goalkicking twice … and being an All-Australian twice.

"If he (Smorgon) doesn't retract what he's saying, or at least correct or apologise for what he's saying, I will publish the contract that he was on, and I'll even get a statement from Nathan himself to verify what I'm saying.

"But I can assure you that Nathan Brown, when he left the Bulldogs, he was offered less money than he was on and (it was) very much an incentive-based scenario, a ridiculous offer for a bloke who finishes up a two-time All-Australian.

"The guy left the club, do you think that's an easy thing to do for anybody? He had all his mates there … he loved the club.

"They offered him less money than he was on … They may as well have said 'Listen mate, we don't need you here, off you go'."

Earlier, Brown, responding to Smorgon's claims, said: "People who don't know much about football always make comments so you've got to take them with a grain of salt. David can have his views.

"I mean, obviously Richmond and another club were going to pay me more than what the Bulldogs were going to pay me, so he's right on that part.

"They're (the Bulldogs) playing good footy now and they're probably a better club than when I was there, so I don't know if they're a better club without me. But David's entitled to his opinions … I'm not going to get into a slanging match with him."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/smorgon-sparks-row-over-browns-exit/2007/04/01/1175366084179.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
But Wallace refused to bite back at Bulldogs president David Smorgon, who earlier said Dogs players had laughed at an article where their former coach praised their list.

"I thought it was a positive article and I write for a newspaper and I was asked to write an article on them," he said.

"It is part and parcel of my role. It's four years ago, so maybe he needs to make a bridge . . . I'll leave it at that."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21487121%255E19742,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
How long ago did Browny leave the Doggies? ::)

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:24:44 AM »
Didn't Browny want to play in front of crowds bigger that 1200 ?

And at the MCG ?

(and probably for the money, but hey, if you can, why not!)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »
We don't still go on about Ottens leaving although I did have a chuckle at the paper today lol.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »

"Frankly, it's about time Terry let go of some of the issues that were at the Bulldogs four or five years ago and moved on," Smorgon said.

Hypocrite.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:03:05 PM »
They strange thing is they haven't done anything yet. Sure they're a top side but Smorgon is getting way ahead of himself if he thinks back-to-back finals is success. Pride before a fall.

Moi

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 07:11:56 PM »
A premiership is hard to get even when you've got a pretty good side.
And if you have a loser mentality like they must, that's another hurdle. 
Not that we can talk about that lol

I'm sure Nathan doesn't give a toss what he says!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
I'm sure Nathan doesn't give a toss what he says!

Yep. Browny is counting the growth in his property investments lol

Offline Holfdog

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 10:19:41 PM »
who is this david smorgan bloke
the only reason that club was still around was because of Browny.
Sure there getting there act together now but how much dosh are they getting form the AFL
He wanted a secure future and thats what hes got with us.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 10:28:59 PM »

holfdog ... you are spot on about the Bulldogs ...

some supporters STILL HATE BROWN for leaving ...

that club has NO MONEY and never will ! ...

Brown is better off here then that "POVE" club ...

David Smorgan ... is a "NOB" ...

LM"F"AOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ...