Author Topic: 70 more possessions; 17 less scoring shots - please explain!  (Read 2471 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
70 more possessions; 17 less scoring shots - please explain!
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:52 PM »
I haven't seen the game as I was at a family birthday party (lucky me going by tonight's posts lol) but it sounds as though we played crappy chip chip chip happy handball Hawk style footy. 70 more disposals yet 17 less scoring shots ... WTF  ???. If you have over 350 possies you should win easily unless you're stuffing around with the ball :scream

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

Re: 70 more possessions; 17 less scoring shots - please explain!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »
I'll tell u.

A captain that should just stuff off and die.

A full back that spends his time with his hand on his own prick and aspires
to be an outstanding figure within the community

Gaspar - period.

How can u ahave these limp wristed personell being the example?

They haven't got a clue about teamanship.

They try to implement a game that doesn't suit them or the team and they "lead" the way,because they're "leaders"
and it's up to them to see that the kids follow suit.

stuff right off you pathetic wamking sons of bunnies.:chuck

You make me sick to the guts.:chuck

The sooner you stuff off the sooner our club will be on the mend.:chuck

:chuck

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:26:52 AM »
some of the vitriol is now getting out of hand. we lost, we are a poor side, lets learn to live with it.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »
I think we should be thankful that Carlton played poorly.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:55:06 AM »
When you are a poorly skilled side as we are and you persist with a possession chip chip brand of football then you will overuse to avoid contests by trying to constantly create a loose man to give the ball to. When that fails that leaves you exposed . Furthermore when you get outcoached regardless of how badly the opposition plays well that does not help also. Some of Carltons misses tonight were very gettable. In fairness 15 25 could have been 20 20 which adds up to a 7 goal loss not a 17 point loss. Palyers who constantly go missing when the game needs to be one and those that continually fail to step up when it is time to perform. Too many players who drift in and out of games rather than playing four quarters of solid footy.
In short we shot ourselves in the foot by overpossessing overfinessing and trying to be too cute. Outcoached and out thought eg Cameron Cloke never thought he could ruck but D Pagan was able to try him there with some success. Terry seems to be very predictable and stagnant when it comes to being creative with our players and their positioning. Outhought Terry had no Plan B for us tonight and his Plan A was too elaborate for a team like Carlton. A combination of Carlton's desperation in the second half and our quarter of a century legacy of not taking opportunities and making things difficult for ourselves when we have chances to put opponents away.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:45:35 AM »
Thanks HT74. Seems by what you say it was a combo of sheer dumb footy and lack of leadership out there last night due to our senior players failing to turn up for round 1 again. Us being our own worst enemy again  ::).

As for Cloke he was played in the ruck at the Pies. Tonight Pagan got away with it because we only had Patto up against Ackland and Cloke. Simmo would have had a field day against Cloke. Hell even a dud like Knobel would have altered the hitout stats in our favour.

As for Carlton's misses. Well that's bad footy. Not different to us missing gettable targets via hand or foot. We failed to punish them for it due to our lousy kick-ins. With that many points we should have had 10 goals at least just from going coast-to-coast from the kick-in. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:19:47 AM »
Richmond dominated possession in the first half, but was inefficient. In the modern style, it sought to run at the Blues, rugby-style, inviting contact and slipping the ball from one to another by hand. It is a style that looks spectacular when it works, abject when it comes undone. Carlton's fierce tackling eventually undid it.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/carltons-stars-shine/2007/04/01/1175366079652.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Guilty of chronic over-possession - Wallace
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 03:31:57 AM »
Wallace makes possession law
02 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace last night said his side was guilty of chronic over-possession after it coughed up what should have been a matchwinning lead against arch rival Carlton.

Wallace's Tigers were 27 points up after a pair of Kayne Pettifer goals in the third term, before the Blues recorded a 44-point turnaround.

Despite 70 more possessions, Richmond had 19 less inside-50s and wasted a golden opportunity to gain early-season momentum.

Despite the lead, Wallace denied the Tigers should have easily taken care of last year's wooden spooners.

"It was obviously disappointing," he said.

"We started all right in the second half and kicked the first couple of goals and got ourselves to a position where we were 27 points in front.

"(But) I thought it was probably a fool's economy, the 27-point (margin).

"They had had real opportunities to capitalise and didn't do so early in the game and just missed goal opportunities. I thought the game was closer than the score suggested."

He said his side had continually gone short from the backline and through the midfield, despite being instructed to take risks and get the ball moving forward.

"I thought we (over-possessed) all night," he said.

"I went to the Collingwood game yesterday and for a lot of the game they were in exactly the same position. Sometimes going short and keeping hold of the ball is OK for an individual because you don't want to lose possession, but it doesn't give you an opportunity to get the carry into the game."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21487121

"It's obviously disappointing to be 27 points up. I thought it was probably a fool's economy the 27 points — they had had real chances to capitalise and didn't do so, so I thought the game was closer than the scoreboard suggested and I just think we went back into our shells. We missed targets because we weren't prepared to pull the trigger early enough and played a real stationary brand of football," Wallace said.

"I thought we did (over-use it) all night. Sometimes possession of the ball — going short and keeping hold of it is OK for you as an individual because you don't want to lose possession so you say 'I will go short chip it short' and make sure you maintain but it doesn't give you an ability to get the carry into the game.

"At half-time even though we were well up in possession rate and well up in time in possession we were well down in inside 50s. It wasn't correlating to playing a winning brand of football, something needed to change and it actually got worse, not better."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/blues-repay-pratt-with-firstup-win/2007/04/01/1175366081325.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 06:12:40 AM »
message to terry

f ur game plan right off

go to the archives and bring back northeys game plan, the best game plan off all for a team with absolutely no skill nor grey matter

uncomprimising, team orientaed, tough and kick the f@#$er long!!!!!!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 07:32:15 AM »
Gotta admit Fev's misses were pretty funny.  Boy was he spewing.  And when he charged at Krak at the end of the second quarter. :-X

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
They didnt have 17 more scoring shot.  They had 8.

We rushed 9 behinds.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
They didnt have 17 more scoring shot.  They had 8.

We rushed 9 behinds.

Fair point, but to rush behinds the ball still has to be near their goals, if we didn't rush the behinds they could have easily turned into goals.

Rushing that many behinds suggests to me panic and no options up the ground to kick to.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Jackstar

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 12:25:17 PM »
Answer to the initial post is the game plan is wrong.
Secondary, who was Kane Johnson kicking to at the opening bounce, Darren Gaspar ?
Or didnt he look who he was kicking too which is more alarming

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »
70 more possessions were the result of 2 very special games played within the actual game

1. Is called HAPPY HANDBALL

2. Is called Chip Chip

Both games can be caused by bad skills, poor execution and terrible decision making

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
Answer to the initial post is the game plan is wrong.

It has its flaws but the main reason it fails is our players especially most of the senior ones are too dumb to execute it. They don't have a strategic bone in their body. They know they have to use this run and carry style but they (yet?) don't understand when and where to use it. They can't read the play 2-3 posessions ahead so are never in the right positions to offer options. They become to concerned with what their opponent is doing and play reactive. The game is about taking calculated risks and backing and supporting your teammate to win the footy. That's how you straighten the side up instead of going chip chip chip to safe useless options. The players say the right things but during games and even at training it shows up they still don't get it.  

Also despite claims to the contrary fitness did play a part yesterday. This style takes it out of you even with a fit 22 so if you have underdone players going into the game and not well in front by 3/4 time then you're at risk to being run over.