Author Topic: Luke McGuane [merged]  (Read 39863 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Lukey McGuane
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »
Good rehearsal for a final
10:17 PM Sun 26 August, 2007
By Russell Holmesby
for richmondfc.com.au

Young Tiger Luke McGuane treated the hyped-up clash with Essendon as a bonus.

“We didn’t think we deserved the opportunity to play in front of 90,000, considering the way our season has gone. But we had the opportunity and thought we would treat it like a final,” he said after the Tigers’ 27-point triumph.

“We just knew we had to stand up and, for a lot of us younger blokes, it was the first time we had ever played in front of a crowd anywhere near that size.”

McGuane was nervous during the week leading up to the game. “But once the game starts it is just another game,” he said. “It was a great atmosphere. The next time I play in front of a crowd like that I hope it is a final.”

He said Richmond had hoped to take advantage of the football world’s pre-game focus on the Bombers.

“We knew we could fly under the radar because it was all about Kevin Sheedy and Hird . We respected that, but at the same time we weren’t going to come out and let them walk all over us.”

There was a change of plan for McGuane when Essendon’s usual centre half-forward, Scott Lucas, strode to the opposite end of the field at the beginning of the game.

“I was supposed to start on Lucas but I actually started on Patrick Ryder. I played on the rucks for most of the day – Laycock and Hille. Lucas came down forward for about five minutes and Joel Bowden took him, and I went to the talls.”

Although McGuane didn’t have to confront Lucas, he has run the gamut of star forwards this year.

“The one I definitely remember is Barry Hall, which was a very good learning experience. So was Ashley Hansen earlier in the year. They are big names and have been part of sides that have won premierships. I was looking forward to playing on Lucas, but he played down back.”

McGuane said people who talked about clubs “tanking” had no idea, and the Tigers were hell-bent on winning next week against St Kilda and lifting from the bottom of the ladder.

“Now it isn’t Richmond’s worst season ever and it sets us up for next year. The last thing you want to do is win a wooden spoon, and you aren’t going to sacrifice your career. We really do believe we are a good side.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=49840

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:56 PM »
This lad just keeps on improving IMO :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
That's pretty much all that needs to be said about Lukey Mopsy. He showed how much he has improved yesterday since he last played a VFL game earlier this year. Now clearly above that level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »
That's pretty much all that needs to be said about Lukey Mopsy. He showed how much he has improved yesterday since he last played a VFL game earlier this year. Now clearly above that level.

just needs to improve his kicking to the level at which he consistently hits targets otherwise he'll be remembered as Chubba MkII for all the wrong reasons

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
mcguane CHF?
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
mcguane and thursty are of very similar build and look like playing similar defensive roles. It looks like one of them, most likely  lukey, is going have to change their game so that both can play in the same team.

Mcguane played most of his junior footy as a leadup CHF in the Ash Hansen mould.

Anyone else think that it would be a positive step both for him as a player and for the team if he made the move to CHF?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: mcguane CHF?
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »
Lukey IMO is a 3rd tall defender similar to Andy Kellaway except Lukey will run and rebound more than Chubba. So he can still play in defence alongside Thursty. The bonus would be if Lukey could be moved forward like Polak can. That would make Lukey very versatile. He hasn't showed if he can as yet at senior level although we haven't really tried him up forward. He's only played forward a couple of times at Coburg and that was last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
If they kick the ball into the forward line the way Coburg did today,
we'll need him in the backline.

Ramps

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 04:32:47 PM »
id offer mcguane up to brisbane and see if we can get adcock.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »
id offer mcguane up to brisbane and see if we can get adcock.

And what pick?  ???
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 12:30:33 AM »
With Schulz and Hughes struggling to have any impact whatsoever, it's certainly worth giving McGuane a go in the front half next year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 02:45:11 PM »
Brian Royal's RFC player review

Luke McGuane

Luke’s come a long way in the last couple of years and had an interesting 2007, playing the first seven and last seven games. He did some terrific jobs for us as a backman later in the season and we’re really impressed with his development. One of the areas that let him down was his kicking, but he understands that, so will continue to work on that area to bring his kicking skills up to AFL standard.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=52313

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Luke McGuane [merged]
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
How are we all seeing McGuane's season so far? A quiet achiever?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
I like him.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »
My question is this - Is there room for: Thursfeild, McGaune, Moore & Rance in the same back 6?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
My question is this - Is there room for: Thursfeild, McGaune, Moore & Rance in the same back 6?
Maybe not but chances are you are going to have one out with an injury for any given period and as we are all becoming aware over last year and this - it's all about depth.