Author Topic: Luke McGuane [merged]  (Read 44228 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luke McGuane - where's he at?
« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2013, 01:24:31 AM »
Forward or back, Griff would want to play a hell of a lot better than he did tonight.  McGuane played a perfect role as a 3rd tall forward and I can't wait for someone to force him out on form - will be a great thing!

dwaino

« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
Much at the amusement of bay M5, I kept confessing my love for McGuane throughout the match  ;D

Been a fan of his style since he was moved forward last year. I love the crash and bash, I love the grunt work. Provides a contest, pees off a few opposition players and gets in their face, loves to tackle to hurt and kicks a few on the way. Don't have to be a gun to be a good player. Knows his limitations and knows he's playing for his career. Will be a solid contributor without being a star. I think Vickery had a good night and as long as Vicks and Jack get the defensive attention McGuane can run a muck on the crap defender  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2013, 03:11:51 AM »
I still don't see him as a long term option but credit where it's due for last night's game. McGuane contested and fought like a man possessed all night.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McGuane is grabbing his chances (afl site)
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »
McGuane is grabbing his chances

By Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
Friday, March 29, 2013

RICHMOND forward Luke McGuane knows how significant Thursday night's thrilling five-point win over Carlton was, even if he's prone to talk down the role his game-saving tackle played in it.

A Tiger for nine years, McGuane has never played in a win over Carlton and that run looked set to continue at the MCG as the Blues surged to kick eight of the game's last 10 goals. 

In the dying stages, Richmond held its collective breath as Chris Yarran missed two gettable shots that surely would have won the game for Carlton.

Then, with the Tigers ahead by four points in the final minute, McGuane had his match-saving moment when young Blue Josh Bootsma tried to rebound out of Carlton's defensive 50.   

"Lucky I got a hand on him and dragged him in," McGuane told AFL.com.au on Thursday night. 

"I just tried to equalise numbers and then he tried to take me on. He's a lighter frame than me.

"I think we always knew we had them, but we just ran out of legs a little bit towards the end.

"I think we learned a bit out of it, that we need to slow the game down. We slowed it down and we got the win."

Thursday night was Richmond's second round one win over Carlton since the fixture became a regular in 2007, and it snapped a
nine-game losing streak against the Blues.

McGuane, who kicked two goals in a significant performance, said the win meant a lot.

"The last time we beat Carlton in round one was 2008, so it's a massive thing for us," he said.

"We don't want to get too carried away, but it's a good start to the season and we start on the right side of the ledger for once.

"Confidence is a big thing in football and usually after round one our confidence isn't at the highest.

"It's good to get this win, especially against Carlton, and get that voodoo off our back. Now we just move on."

Coach Damien Hardwick praised McGuane's ability to compete in a forward line that functioned well with Jack Riewoldt pushing higher up the ground.

"I don't think he got out-marked once tonight when he was one against two," Hardwick said.

"He had a couple of huge tackles and he kicked two goals. He competes, and that's what we thrive on as a footy club.

"If he keeps ticking those boxes he's going to play a lot of footy for us."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-29/mcguane-grabs-tiger-win

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #514 on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:09 AM »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #515 on: April 06, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
Took some very strong marks against the Saints

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #516 on: April 06, 2013, 07:29:56 AM »
Some people have to pull there head in I think.Dimma and his crew have gave him first crack this year and it's his place to loose until Elton and co step up and are ready.For me he can play the Roberts Lewis Thomson and Kepler Bradley role for us.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #517 on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
Doesnt have to be good long term, he's doing his job now and offering plenty

Oh yes, Lukey is offering heaps

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #518 on: April 06, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
Some people have to pull there head in I think.Dimma and his crew have gave him first crack this year and it's his place to loose until Elton and co step up and are ready.For me he can play the Roberts Lewis Thomson and Kepler Bradley role for us.

See how he goes against a decent side before the ticket tape parade.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #519 on: April 06, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »

Carlton are a decent side, make no mistake about that.  And St Kilda arent to shabby either

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

Both Saints and Blues decent sides.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »
Going very well... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #522 on: April 06, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
Played a great cameo last night, shouldve had 4. Its no coincidence that when another tall is giving the opposition headaches Jack has more space to work in. Happiest when he slotted the goal after that ripping mark

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Luke McGuane is enjoying his new role as a forward this season (H-Sun)
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
Richmond's Luke McGuane is enjoying his new role as a forward this season

Matt Windley
    April 09, 2013 11:24AM

AFL players often go back to go forward in their careers.

But in the case of Richmond's Luke McGuane, he's making good on the promise he showed as a junior forward after spending right seasons as a defender.

"I've enjoyed the change, the freshen up I suppose," McGuane said this morning.

"I've spent eight years down back, but got drafted as a forward so it's good to get down there."

McGuane has kicked four goals and averaged 13.5 disposals and 3.5 marks per game in the Tigers first two games - both wins.

The switch has been a long time coming according to the 26-year-old, who paid credit to the influence of forward line coach Mark Williams.

Not "Choco", but the former Carlton and Footscray player who coached Sandringham to three VFL premierships in the 2000s.

"I did need change," McGuane said.

"I started as a forward and Mark Williams came along and said 'let's get you back up forward' and Damien (Hardwick) was really good about it.

"Initially it was for forward pressure because I like to compete, so they put me up there and I've enjoyed it and am now starting to get some rewards on the end of it and am enjoying working with Jack (Riewoldt) and Ty (Vickery)."

McGuane also paid credit to the other Mark Williams, the premiership-winning Port Adelaide coach.

"Choco, to work with this year, has been great for me and given me a lot of confidence."

McGuane said he learned a lot from defending the likes of Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas, Brendan Fevola and Lance Franklin over the years.

But now that he's up the other end of the ground he's enjoying being able to fly for marks rather than spoil them.

"You can fly with a bit more confidence up forward knowing that if you bring it to ground then hopefully our crumbers are going to get a hold of it," he said.

"Whereas when you used to fly down back it was their crumbers who would get a hold of it and I'd be the one in trouble for dropping it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/richmonds-luke-mcguane-is-enjoying-his-new-role-as-a-forward-this-season/story-e6frf9mx-1226615638786

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
Elton and mcbean looking sharp at training. Griffs is turning into a monster.

I wonder how long Luke will hold this spot.