Author Topic: Luke McGuane [merged]  (Read 44207 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luke McGuane - 2009 expectations?
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »
Luke's proving a lot of his critics wrong.
I thought his disposal improved out of sight in '08 as did most of his game.
He works hard at it and has a bit of genuine niggle.

I think he will become one of the best defenders in the competition in '09. :o

Gotta love MCG. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
If Luke can back up 2008 and play 22 games barring injury I'll be happy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:14 PM »
Still needs to put on at least 5 to 8Kg's so he doesn't get bumped out of marking contests and packs against #1 power forwards.

Still needs a truck load lot of work, however if Croad can be an AA premiership player there is hope for Luke yet.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Luke McGuane [merged]
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
Tiger take: Drought over
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke McGuane 4:48 PM Thu 23 April, 2009

I KNOW there's a lot of big issues around in footy at the moment and our club is probably leading the pack.

So I want to talk about something positive. Something exciting. Something new.

It took me 36 games to get it but I'm now off the list Will Thursfield is still on, just behind Josh Gibson at the Kangaroos: the AFL player with the most games without a goal.

It was good to eventually get one. I wasn't planning on going up forward, but then at the end of the game against the Dees we threw caution to the wind.

I thought we weren't going to win by staying back, so I thought 'Oh well, I'll take a risk'.

After my horrible effort from about 20 metres out against the Dogs, I was feeling a bit better with this one. I've always been a bit better from the longer distances because I don't get as nervous.

So I just laid back on it and thought I'd just give it everything. There wasn't long to go in the game, so if I'd chip-passed it off it was just going to burn up more time. I just thought I'd go for home.

The adrenalin was pumping because of the state of the game and I just really had to kick the goal. That was all there was to it.

After it went through, I was pretty excited and celebrated a bit because I thought we were still in the game.

I didn't know there were only 37 seconds left. I thought we had maybe another minute or two on the clock.

I should say there's no truth to the rumour that Richo is my kicking coach, despite missing that easy one in round three and booming this one home.

When I was younger, I used to get told when I played forward that I kicked liked Matthew Richardson.

I'd miss from 30 out in front and kick them from where I shouldn't. But no, he's not to blame here.

Sure enough, you kick one goal and people are talking about a move to the other end of the ground.

I'm pretty confident down back at the moment and I think our forwards will show how good they are very soon. There won't be any need for me to sneak into attack.

One of the great things about being down back right now is playing alongside Alex Rance. It's always great to get new blood into a team and Alex is terrific.

Anything he doesn't know he usually comes to either me or Kel or Newy and asks us what he should be doing.

He's going very well. His run off half-back has been great and you know he'll give you 100 per cent at every contest.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/75520/default.aspx

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
It was good to eventually get one. I wasn't planning on going up forward, but then at the end of the game against the Dees we threw caution to the wind.

Not too sure about why they had to wait to the end of the game, but surely this week they will throw caution away right at the first bounce and play attacking football right throughout the game.  It's not as if they have anything to loose as a playing unit now.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
Good to see he still has a sense of humour.

IMO he needs to improve. Been caught being a bit slack a few times although to be fair the relative openness of our defensive half (due to lack of pressure further upfield) has been startling at times.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
Going well is Luke.

Offline Richogun

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
A lot of pressure on the kid he is only gonna benifit and improve from it.
The other younger kids should take a leef outta his book and just  have
a fair dinkim crack no matter which way the game is going!!! :cheers

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
A lot of pressure on the kid he is only gonna benifit and improve from it.
The other younger kids should take a leef outta his book and just  have
a fair dinkim crack no matter which way the game is going!!! :cheers
Spot on Richogun, Lukey takes them on! He makes a few mistakes but he throws caution to the wind and takes risks. In other words, he doesnt play like a rabbitt stuck in the headlights like some others :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Luke McGuane not keen on Gold Coast and wants to remain a Tiger (Sportal)
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
McGuane not keen on Gold Coast
29/07/2009
Paul Gough
Sportal

Promising Richmond key defender Luke McGuane says he wants to remain with the Tigers for the long haul amidst speculation he could emerge as a recruiting target for the new Gold Coast club.

"So to be honest it (a move to the Gold Coast) is not in my thoughts at the moment because I just want to enjoy my time here and have success with the Tigers."

Full story at:
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/mcguane-not-keen-on-gold-coast-74894

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
Nice repy Luke.
Good to see loyalty and belief in the team going forward. 
Would hate to loose him now when he is comming into his prime.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
 :clapping :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Luke's improvement since he was drafted has been unbelievable. We get bagged for not making the most out of the 2004 draft but people forget we selected McGuane at pick 36. Further reason to keep hold onto your 3rd round picks. If from the 2004 draft we end up with Lids, Blingers, Polo, McGuane and Thursty (rookie) becoming good 10-12 year players for us then we've done well out of it. If only all our recruiting each year was that good we picked up 5 AFL players per year.

If GC17 require a uncontracted Tiger then they can have what they are given at our choosing and who isn't part of our future.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Why Is McGuane Still Out Of Contract?
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2009, 02:00:55 AM »
Why Is McGuane Still Out Of Contract?

Ramps

Re: Why Is McGuane Still Out Of Contract?
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
because we are probably looking for a decent draft pick from somewhere