Author Topic: Luke McGuane [merged]  (Read 44156 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: McGaune ankle injury
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
Actually i thought it was Mcguane's best game of the year.

His possessions were of a good quality and decision making spot on.

That being said will be happy when Moore comes in as his replacement.

geez a few of those side ways handballs to richmond players about to get smashed were not great

It was his best game amongst many average ones.

Thought Smokey's assessment was spot on.

He made some errors no doubting that but i was happy with his game.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: McGuane played ok
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »

Lukey had his usual couple of brainfades in defence yesterday which cost us a couple of goals. One was that shot pass on the run across goal to a teammate who had a Freo opponent right up behind him and the ball was turned over.

Was that when he sauntered across the goals and handballed to Grigg who was covered? If so, it was a point to Pearce.
Can't recall him directly costing any goals.

Yeah, he cost us one in the 2nd quarter when he tried a fiddly pass to a temmate who was covered on the Melbourne members wing instead of booting it long and direct up the boundary line.
I still think he's our weakest link in defence, and I would rather we persisted with Astbury or Post.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luke McGuane [merged]
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
Playing ok and serving a purpose.

Still think he's ideal trade bait.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: McGuane played ok
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »

Yeah, he cost us one in the 2nd quarter when he tried a fiddly pass to a temmate who was covered on the Melbourne members wing instead of booting it long and direct up the boundary line.

That's the one I'm referring to. It was a point.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

10 FLAGS

« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »

Morton and Conners are the players looking most likely at this stage to be offered up with McGuane and Tuck also in the frame. The GWS u17 player pick is looming large. A club that can secure a pick is likely to get an A Grade player.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
I could not stop laughing in the last quarter when he ran 50 metres almost losing balance through defensive fifty on the members stand side only to handball to a contest thirty metres up the line. It was awkward wayward and yet so funny.

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
A couple of times, he had the ball but did not take the first option, held the ball back and sort of got into trouble.  Wonder why he didn't take the first option.  Was it because they were covered, or indecisiveness?  Hard to tell from the TV replay.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »

Morton and Conners are the players looking most likely at this stage to be offered up with McGuane and Tuck also in the frame. The GWS u17 player pick is looming large. A club that can secure a pick is likely to get an A Grade player.

thursfield might join that group

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
A couple of times, he had the ball but did not take the first option, held the ball back and sort of got into trouble.  Wonder why he didn't take the first option.  Was it because they were covered, or indecisiveness?  Hard to tell from the TV replay.

It was very congested and there weren't many (any) options. Having said that getting the ball as far away from the back line by kicking to a contest would have been preferable to being caught close to goals.

McGuane doesn't seem to have that creative flair where he can find a handpass or sidestep out of a seemingly unwinnable position which opens the play up and allows us to stream down the field. There are others in the team that seem to have that skill.  :thumbsup

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »
I watched a replay last night of the Geelong game, only watched the second half, couldn't bring myself to watch the first half. I paid special attention to Luke McGuane and can honestly say that he is one of the most inept inefficient defensive players we have. On just about every occasion he got near the ball he lost his feet. Generally his disposal by foot and hand is second rate and is overly clumsy in marking contests and laying tackles. Its taken me a little while to come around but this guy is VFL standard at best and the sooner he is moved on the better.

From our defensive zone the transition of play going forward is very important, its all about skill by foot and hand, both he hasn't got. I don't think there are many players who handball as badly as he does, its reminiscent of a 10 year old where the ball is heavier than they are. He is just not a naturally talented player, gutsy yes but that's not enough for today's game. Maybe he could have been passable in the 70's in a mud bath at Windy Hill but not today playing on pristine surfaces where above average skills are almost a prerequisite. I hope by seasons end Hardwick can see that as much as McGuane tries his heart out its a simple case of him not being a piece of the puzzle, Luke McGuane.......its time to go.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »
Must find a way to have him not on the rfc list next season.

If rather thursty as the 44th player on the list

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Must find a way to have him not on the rfc list next season.

If rather thursty as the 44th player on the list

Don't reckon either will be at Richmond next year.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
I watched a replay last night of the Geelong game, only watched the second half, couldn't bring myself to watch the first half. I paid special attention to Luke McGuane and can honestly say that he is one of the most inept inefficient defensive players we have. On just about every occasion he got near the ball he lost his feet. Generally his disposal by foot and hand is second rate and is overly clumsy in marking contests and laying tackles. Its taken me a little while to come around but this guy is VFL standard at best and the sooner he is moved on the better.

From our defensive zone the transition of play going forward is very important, its all about skill by foot and hand, both he hasn't got. I don't think there are many players who handball as badly as he does, its reminiscent of a 10 year old where the ball is heavier than they are. He is just not a naturally talented player, gutsy yes but that's not enough for today's game. Maybe he could have been passable in the 70's in a mud bath at Windy Hill but not today playing on pristine surfaces where above average skills are almost a prerequisite. I hope by seasons end Hardwick can see that as much as McGuane tries his heart out its a simple case of him not being a piece of the puzzle, Luke McGuane.......its time to go.

Agreed. The only qualification is that he is tough as nails and on occasiosions has the ability to spoil when looking way out of position.

But yes, can't kick and should be upgraded when possible.

the claw

« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »

lol dont be so optimistic this bloke has no trade value what so ever. if we are offered a pack of crispy cremes i suggest we should take it.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
GWS would take him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI