Author Topic: DID WE GIVE UP OTTO FOR DONUTS???  (Read 2863 times)

letsgetiton!

DID WE GIVE UP OTTO FOR DONUTS???
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:24:19 PM »

ok, a couple of years have past and we gave up otto in return for 2 first round picks

meyer and patto.

i know patto is young  and big blokes take longer to develop but i am getting overly concerned about this.

meyer wont make it, he may have skill here and there, but it is quite clear he does not want to be with us. he should be busting his guts for coburg to put his hand up to make our team as polo did. polo busted his pooper vavle to get into the team but meyer is shoing nothing . he has no desire to be with us imo and i bet next yr will be gone.

if guys like moore, mguane polo foley howat hyde etc can make our team over a first rnd pick something is wrong

now patto, he may be ok but i doubt it, he is no ruckmen as we know and is meant to be a chf but we have yet really seen him play there, and lets say he does , where does that leave cleve and jack.

the more i think about the more i think we really stuffed up those picks(meyer and patto) and if we picked wiser with those two we would be far better off now!

discuss

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: DID WE GIVE UP OTTO FOR DONUTS???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Getting rid of Ottens for 2 first round picks was the right way to go. Otto's record in 3 years at Geelong is similar to his last 3 years with us. Injuries and inconsistent form. If we had kept Otto we wouldn't have gone after Simmo either.

Patto needs time and he's coming along even if he did have a bad game. He would've learnt heaps contesting against Everitt and Jolly. I know there'll be pressure on him from out own supporters now that Cameron Wood has been named the rising star nominee for this week. Patto doesn't have a Beau MacDonald to help him out with Simmo out. Patto won't just be a ruckman like Wood anyway. He'll play both forward and ruck. I'm willing to give him slack as big guys take time. You can see significant improvement from last year which is the main thing.

Meyer is the concern given his 2004 peers are all playing for Richmond. Danny isn't doing himself any favours but we aren't either. His best game for us was playing off a HBF against Geelong last year yet we continue to let him rot on a HFF in a struggling young Coburg side :banghead. Yeah that's really going to help with his development  ::). It wouldn't surprise me if he did want to leave now. Who can blame him. Play him on a HBF at Coburg for god's sake!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »
i was and am all for getting rid of otto, but did we pick the right kids with the picks we got for his trade, imo, we failed, patto wont be a match winner nor game breaker and meyer will be gone as he is not doing the hard yards which suggests he does not want to belong

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
i was and am all for getting rid of otto, but did we pick the right kids with the picks we got for his trade, imo, we failed, patto wont be a match winner nor game breaker and meyer will be gone as he is not doing the hard yards which suggests he does not want to belong

At the moment none of those picked up around Patto and Meyer look like being matchwinners yet. Off the top of my head Monfries, Bate, Dunn, Wood and McQualter look handy acquitions but not superstars. Early days yet. The question that should be asked IMo is are we developing them properly? Patto yes but in Meyer's case that would be a no.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:17:49 PM by mightytiges »

Life goes on

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:13 PM »
I am concerned about Danny Meyer

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
meyer is def a worry

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »
I am concerned about Danny Meyer
I'm concerned about his form, especially, as X has stated, because he was a 1st rd pick. He has the skill, but he appears to lack the requisite desire and desperation. Is it just his personality ie non-aggressive type? Is it due to lack of confidence? Or is playing football just not that important to him anymore? It may be that he likes playing footy, but doesn't love it like some kids do.Perhaps he wants to do other things with his life, and may just fade away from the AFL scene like others before him.

Life goes on

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
Is a bit intraverted

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:44:07 PM »
Play him on a HBF at Coburg for god's sake!

That's where they played him in most of his Coburg games last year and he struggled. They chuck him in the mid-field and IMO he seems to lack desperation, play him on the HFF he fades in he fades out.

I agree with X on this one he should busting his woofer valve at Coburg to try and get into the seniors but he just doesn't seem to show it. Maybe he is one of those players that floats along at VFL level but then shows more at AFL level. But I reckon you have to show some desire, you have to want it and unfortuantely Danny isn't showing that at the moment

As for Cleve - I think they are trying him out as a defender - which I have no problem with - these kids need to learn the defensive side of the game
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
Meyer needs a Coburg 2nds wake up call for 3 to 4 weeks. When he show the desire to become a AFL player then they should play him in the Coburg seniors. Either way he needs to earn his place in the senior side. Wallace and co made the mistake of promoting him before he had earnt his place. Now he doesn't want to work for it!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Meyer needs a Coburg 2nds wake up call for 3 to 4 weeks. When he show the desire to become a AFL player then they should play him in the Coburg seniors. Either way he needs to earn his place in the senior side. Wallace and co made the mistake of promoting him before he had earnt his place. Now he doesn't want to work for it!
u may be onto something there

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
Meyer and Tambling who are the two who our supporters have focused on over the past 12 months are good players- but this where imho our recruiting is wrong. Tambling and Meyer are finishing type players- theyre the types you get when youve already got a decent side and they become the cream- the players who can kick you a magical goal when you need it but the problem is we expect them to be key drivers in the team- when that happens you get debates like the ones we get at the moment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Play him on a HBF at Coburg for god's sake!

That's where they played him in most of his Coburg games last year and he struggled. They chuck him in the mid-field and IMO he seems to lack desperation, play him on the HFF he fades in he fades out.

Fair enough WP. I still believe though he should be persevered on a HBF in his 3rd year. Even if he gets soft uncontested possessions from a switch of play at least he gets his hands on the footy playing across HB and can build up some confidence using his strength - foot skills. Every time I've seen him play at Coburg which admittedly is only a couple times per year he's lined up across HF and as you say fades in and out. Mostly out like a number of our boys given Coburg's lack of big bodies to win the ball and straighten them up. If Danny fails to work hard to get the footy across HB then he's only got himself to blame and we cut our losses. Agree with Ramps that Meyer is the polish you add after you have the foundation of a decent side which isn't Richmond or Coburg.  

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 04:18:28 AM »
You can bet the media will bring up this topic even more now with Otto being part of the premiership.

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »
Ottens left us for bigger money & to be in a winning team cause he aint no matchwinner
so he had to joina club that was full of matchwinners

Note; What did Ottens himself win this year apart from a premiership medal that Geelong would have won regardless of him being at the club

Ottens is gone who gives a stuff about players who have left Richmond
Pull your heads out of the sand stop living in the past thats why Richmond never moves forward its supporters have to revert back to the past