Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 277111 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond urged to consider Riewoldt trade after CCJ breakout game (Nine)
« Reply #2250 on: June 01, 2021, 05:31:57 AM »
Richmond urged to consider Jack Riewoldt trade after Callum Coleman-Jones' breakout game

By Chris De Silva
Nine WWOS
June 1, 2021

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes says Richmond should consider moving on Jack Riewoldt in order to free up playing time for Callum Coleman-Jones.

Coleman-Jones starred in his long-awaited return to Richmond's side in Round 11, kicking four goals up forward as he partnered Riewoldt in Tom Lynch's absence.

However, Cornes suggested that Lynch's return could see the 21-year-old slip back out of Richmond's first-choice team and could potentially cause him to look elsewhere for a steady opportunity, given he is currently out of contract.

Cornes compared Richmond's predicament to that of Hawthorn back in 2016, when it traded veteran duo Jordan Lewis and Sam Mitchell, and urged the Tigers to consider doing the same with Riewoldt.

"It's a good position to be in, but I think they've got a big decision to make," Cornes told Nine's Footy Classified.

"He's out of contract and once Tom Lynch comes back, if he goes back and plays reserves, then he'll go for more opportunity.

"Jack Riewoldt is out of contract and I just wonder whether there is a discussion that needs to be had with Jack. Is there an opportunity to be really mature about this?

"I am (suggesting Richmond trades Riewoldt) similar to how Hawthorn did with Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell and it worked well for the players who left.

"If you're Callum Coleman-Jones, are you happy to sit? You know you're good enough, you kicked four on the back of hardly any preparation.

"I think it's a conversation worth having. He's 33, Jack Riewoldt, are they going to win another premiership? Probably not. Has he got two or three years left in him? Absolutely."

Riewoldt has been in fine form to start 2021, and is likely to kick the highest number of goals he's kicked since the 2018 season, having already booted 30 majors in 11 games.

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd suggested that one of Richmond's other players, potentially big man Toby Nankervis, would eventually make way for Coleman-Jones.

"(The solution is) playing the boy at someone else's expense," he said.

"You love having champions stay and remain at that football club. Nankervis isn't getting any younger so I think he plays ruck-forward in the next couple of years."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/kane-cornes-urges-richmond-to-conisder-jack-riewoldt-trade-callum-coleman-jones/e22cf2a2-ec9e-479f-a9fe-dccccf832eae

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #2251 on: June 01, 2021, 11:32:44 AM »
Caro has become a bit of a man hater the way she talked about Shai Bolton issue last night.  She was also talking about Nathan Buckley also last night and the board and you could tell she was just giving her opinion but when pressed tried to pass it off as factual.  Makes my blood boil.
In regards to Kane Cornes well he is just a flog who is looking for click bait which he has achieved. 
Matthew Lloyd is the only panelist with any credibility in my opinion.  Sometimes he just looks at Caro and you know he's thinking what is she on about. 

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2252 on: June 01, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »
Used to watch it all the time but this year I switched it on for the first time yesterday only to see Caro banging on about how had the 'boys club' is in the AFL without providing any factual evidence.

Is coming across as if she is the all knowing expert on all things AFL.

Methinks the Reporter is drinking her own bathwater.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2253 on: June 01, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
“CRAZY STUFF”: DWAYNE RUSSELL RUBBISHES RIEWOLDT TRADE SUGGESTION

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
1 June 2021

Dwayne Russell believes it is “crazy talk” to be even be thinking about moving Jack Riewoldt on from Richmond.

On Footy Classified on Monday night, Kane Cornes suggested that the Tigers should consider moving the veteran forward on to make room for development.

Cornes said: “He's 33, Jack Riewoldt, are they going to win another premiership? Probably not. Has he got two or three years left in him? Absolutely."

Specifically, Cornes indicated that it was time a conversation was had for Riewoldt to make way for Callum Coleman-Jones who kicked four goals in his second AFL game last weekend.

Russell has leapt to the defence of three-time premiership star Riewoldt who continues to play quality football for the Tigers.

“Kane said a couple of things last night that I thought were a bit of a stretch,” Russell said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“He said last night that Richmond should trade Jack Riewoldt, or force him to leave at the end of the season to secure Callum Coleman-Jones long-term to play in Jack Riewoldt’s spot.

“To me, I think that’s crazy stuff. It’s the last thing I’d do.

“He’s been the heart and soul of Richmond for so long. He’s still playing some really, really good footy. He’s a fantastic leader, he’s the kind of guy that makes Richmond what it is.

“I wouldn’t be doing that.

“Callum Coleman-Jones has played two games. Yeah he played really well on the weekend, but I do believe that they (Riewoldt, Coleman-Jones and Tom Lynch) all can work together.

“I wouldn’t be trading Jack on the back of that.”

Riewoldt kicked five goals in Sunday’s win over Adelaide, taking his season tally to 30 goals which has him placed fifth in the Coleman Medal race.

The 32-year-old also sits fourth in the competition for marks inside 50, which doubled with his history displays to Russell that the Tigers wouldn’t think twice about moving him on.

“Crazy talk. I wouldn’t be trading Jack at all,” Russell added.

“I’d be letting Jack play out his days at Richmond. He’s become a Richmond icon.

“I just love the way he goes about it these days, not only as a player who is still in full flight right now, but also as a leader.”

Russell concluded: “When this era is said and done, Dustin Martin will get a statue.

“But I think Jack Riewoldt gets into the AFL Hall of Fame first year of eligibility.

“He’s been iconic for this era, he’s got a great resume now. As a leader of the football club, as a player that stands up when the heat’s on.

“He’s become great. He’s become one of the most watchable players in the comp.”

Riewoldt, a three-time Coleman Medallist, three-time All-Australian and two-time Jack Dyer Medallist, has kicked 694 goals in 294 matches in the yellow and black.

He comes out of contract at the end of this season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/01/crazy-stuff-dwayne-russell-rubbishes-riewoldt-trade-suggestion/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2254 on: June 01, 2021, 07:20:11 PM »
Matty Richardson got moved to a wing so Jack can play and learn the game up forward. Trading Jack is the wrong solution getting him up the ground is what will work here now.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2255 on: June 01, 2021, 07:37:12 PM »
I think referring to cornes as a “port Adelaide great” is a bit of a stretch

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2256 on: June 01, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »

His old team hates his guts.  Just like everyone else

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2257 on: June 01, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »

Take the blinkers off.
Premiership, 300 games, 4 best and fairests and a couple of all Australians.

He’s a Port Adelaide great without doubt.

Just because he’s a grade A flog, doesn’t change what he achieved as a footballer

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2258 on: June 01, 2021, 09:10:51 PM »
I didn’t know he won 4 b+f HOLY MOLY. For me I think of wanganeen, Burgoyne and tredrea as port royalty. Everyone else is a bit meh to me.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2259 on: June 01, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »
No wonder he hates us. We spoiled his 300th and final game  :snidegrin.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kane_Cornes.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2260 on: June 01, 2021, 10:12:28 PM »

Take the blinkers off.

Just because he’s a grade A flog, doesn’t change what he achieved as a footballer

Spot on Damo, was a heart and soul player for Port, would have been Lorded as legend by everyone here had he played in the yellow and black.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2261 on: June 01, 2021, 10:21:19 PM »

Take the blinkers off.

Spot on Damo, was a heart and soul player for Port, would have been Lorded as legend by everyone here had he played in the yellow and black.

Like Wayne Campbell who also played 300 (practically) and won 4 b&f’s.
At least Campbo had the dignity to bow out at the right time and not limp to 300 before splitting to be a “fireman” which was always a red herring. He was a great alright .... a great big flog who played for himself and cracked it when he got dropped and retired
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2262 on: June 01, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »
Didn’t campbo say something like he didn’t want to eclipse the games record of Bourke and dyer because he didn’t feel right having his name held next to theirs so bowed out?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2263 on: June 01, 2021, 10:54:25 PM »

Take the blinkers off.

LMAO - he was a good tagger but he got played as tagger for the same reason most taggers end up in that role - he was a very mediocre footballer...:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2264 on: June 02, 2021, 07:42:18 AM »
Has always been sook.One year apparently didn't win the B and F and spat the dummy at the function stormed out then either his old man or brother consulted him to come back inside.