Author Topic: Edwards and King to debut on Friday night  (Read 4703 times)

Moi

Re: Edwards and King to debut on Friday night
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 05:15:49 PM »
I sat next to Gas, and I gave him all the best from my friends on here lol
Didn't talk footy - we talked babies.  His wife is due tomorrow week - identical twin girls.  I refrained from saying he couldn't get that right lol
And I had Andrew to my right and Richo on the next table.

Good night  ;D
Was julz there with Richo?
Julz will be very disappointed to know there was a blonde next to him  :rollin

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »
Didn't talk footy - we talked babies.  His wife is due tomorrow week - identical twin girls.  I refrained from saying he couldn't get that right lol

Good night  ;D
They get dirty quicker :lol

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »

Good night  ;D
They get dirty quicker :lol
:lol

Did you get any pics Moi? :shh
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »

Better have part of the night included getting your pic with your sponsored player :clapping

Just had to stand on the black x that marked the spot ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 09:34:44 PM »

Better have part of the night included getting your pic with your sponsored player :clapping
She'd prefer Geoff lol

Quote from: Bull
Gee Paul Armstrong has put some pressure on Edwards comparing him to John Platten.
Why can't officials just let young guys make their own name instead of saying he's a John Platten type ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to go for pace (The Age)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
Tigers to go for pace
Michael Gleeson | April 19, 2007
The Age

IN AN attempt to change a winless mix and introduce more run to the team to confront the fleet-footed Western Bulldogs, Richmond will bring in two debutants for tomorrow night's game at the MCG.

Former rookie Jake King and young midfielder Shane Edwards will play their first games for the Tigers against the Bulldogs. Collingwood successfully played three newcomers in last Friday's game against Richmond.

King, a tough small defender, has endured the long road to AFL football, having been best and fairest at the Tigers' VFL affiliate Coburg last year.

He achieved a position on Richmond's rookie list this year after a strong push from Coburg coach Andy Collins.

He follows the path of another rookie Cam Howat, who was also a Collins project player, having played under the former Hawthorn premiership player when he was coaching Box Hill.

Richmond football manager Paul Armstrong said both players had impressed in the pre-season and would play.

"King has been an emergency for the first three games so he has been close for some time," Armstrong said.

"Both King and Edwards are from very, very different backgrounds, King is from Heidelberg and came through Coburg last year and was promoted from the rookie list when Carl Petersen was injured.

"Shane is from Adelaide and played under Andrew Jarman. He is a very hard-running midfielder, very slight frame but runs very hard and carries the ball. He caught the eye in one of our first intraclub matches in Wonthaggi."

It is understood Jack Riewoldt, cousin of St Kilda's Nick, has also been close to making his debut after impressing in the VFL.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-to-go-for-pace/2007/04/18/1176696916392.html

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
Fighting fire with fire, the Doggies are playing two debutants as well including Tom Williams, the guy taken at pick 6 in the Deledio draft.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Different tales of two new Tigers
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
Different tales of two new Tigers
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
April 19, 2007

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has no doubts that both now deserve their opportunity at the game’s highest level . . .

“Jake has really had to do it the hard way, playing park footy, as such, about 18 months ago and then arriving at Coburg without any knowledge of whether he was going to make the grade at VFL level, let alone anything else,” he said.

“The other interesting part of his story is that while he was playing at Coburg last year, he was also working as a labourer on building sites all day before going to training late afternoons.

“They reckon a lot of times at Coburg, they’d come in and find him asleep on the benches in the rooms and they’d have to wake him up to get him out to train.

“It’s a fantastic story that he’s now been able to make the grade in AFL football.

“Kingy is very much your hard-nosed, ‘take-them-on-from-their-toes’ type player. He mostly plays down the back end, but can also play on a wing or up forward because of his competitive nature.

“If he reminds me of anyone in the competition at the moment, it’s Steven Baker at St Kilda . . . just that real one-on-one approach to his football – keep your eyes on the footy and go after it.

“Shane Edwards, by comparison, has come through the purest football program, playing under-age and then senior footy over in South Australia.

“He’s probably the youngest-looking kid I’ve ever played as a coach . . . I’ve got a 15-year-old son and I can’t tell the difference between them in terms of their ages. He could probably ride in the last at Flemington, but he’ll obviously develop body-wise as time goes on.

“Look, Shane has earned the right to play . . . he has been our most in-form player at VFL level. He’s shown that even though he’s lightly framed, he’s prepared to throw his body on the line with regards to tackling, harassing and doing all those sort of things.

“Shane is your archetypal running, modern-day midfielder. He has a big ‘motor’, can run all day, links up between the lines very well, and he’s got good skills.”

Jake King - 23,  174cm, 74kg, defender
Shane Edwards - 18, 180cm, 71kg, midfielder

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=41515

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jake King, the new back pocket plumber
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 01:51:48 AM »

Vice versa: 18-year-old Shane Edwards makes his first appearance for the Tigers tonight, while his older teammate 23-year-old Jake King lines up for the first time. Picture: Michael Dodge.

Plumber perfect for leaky Tiger defence
20 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Scott Gullan

A PLUMBER from the suburbs lining up in the back pocket for Richmond. Ring a bell?

Tonight at the MCG the new millennium's answer to Kevin Sheedy - 23-year-old Jake King - will make his debut for the Tigers.

The King story is one which would stir Sheeds' heartstrings given it is a ripping tale of making it against the odds.

Growing up in the northern suburbs, King cut his teeth in the Diamond Valley League with North Heidelberg.

He had an ill-fated stint with the Northern Knights for two seasons which was ruined by injury and his own attitude.

"I was a smart-arse, mate," King says about his TAC Cup days. "Like everyone else at 18 you don't really give a s--- what anyone says.

"I probably only played seven games in the two years I was with the Knights. In the last year I had bad stress fractures in the back just through growing, so I basically gave it up."

With his AFL dream all but over, King returned to North Heidelberg, the club where his stepfather, uncles and brother had distinguished careers.

He put most of his energy into his plumbing apprenticeship, but he carried a football to every job and at lunchtime would enter into kick-to-kick with whoever was up for it.

Two years ago after he starred for North Heidelberg throughout the finals, earning best-on-ground in the grand final victory, King's family took matters into their own hands.

"I was happy playing for North Heidelberg and I actually wasn't going to leave North Heidelberg," he said. "But my stepfather, my brother and a couple of uncles pretty much threw me out of the club.

"They said, 'On your bike, we are not playing you next year even if you do come back'."

They urged him to give it one last shot at a higher level before giving up playing in the big time.

King trained with Essendon for a few weeks over the pre-season before finding himself signing with the Coburg Tigers in the VFL, under another back pocket player, former Hawthorn champion Andy Collins.

He quickly made his mark and when he was the joint winner of Coburg's best-and-fairest, the AFL dream had been reignited.

"It wasn't until I reckon three weeks before the end of the year that people started saying stuff.

"A couple of phone calls were coming here and there so then the mind started thinking, 'Hang on, we might be in with a go'.

"There was still the age factor which worried me. I was turning 23, that's five years on an 18-year-old kid coming out of the system."

A week before December's rookie draft Richmond told King he was under consideration, then on the morning of the draft the club rang and confirmed he would be at Punt Rd.

King put himself on coach Terry Wallace's radar by impressing in three pre-season practice matches and was promoted off the rookie list to replace the injured Carl Peterson before Round 1. He is described as a "hard-at-it defender" in the AFL season guide with his measurements at 174cm and 74kg, which King disputes.

"They have robbed me there. I'm nearly the same size as Nathan Foley (177cm), in fact I am taller than Foley, so let's go with 178cm."

Joining him on the MCG tonight is another Tigers debutant, South Australian Shane Edwards. The No. 26 pick in last year's national draft, Edwards, 18, has had a more conventional route than his teammate.

A 180cm midfielder with pace, he represented South Australia in the national under-18 titles, then played 10 senior games for North Adelaide in the SANFL.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21587796%255E19742,00.html

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
Re: Jake King, the new back pocket plumber
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 10:49:32 AM »
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 11:00:11 AM »

He's a bit spunky  ;D
Maybe that big tool makes him look good to others.

Good story. I hope for Jake, but especially Richmond, that he ends up as good as Sheeds was.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »

He's a bit spunky  ;D
Maybe that big tool makes him look good to others.

Good story. I hope for Jake, but especially Richmond, that he ends up as good as Sheeds was.

YEP Lets hope the fairytale continues.

'tool' ha ha - looks like he allready has a wench - bad luck steph.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »

i hope Jake King takes this opportunity with both hands ... obviously ...

but i have heard his disposal is a worry !

good luck to Edwards, the last south australian we drafted (Meyer) ... hasn't made an impact !

but richmond are saying that these 2 are in our best 22 ...

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »
I'm hopeful that Edwards will be a main on-baller in the next year or 2 and for a long time.

good luck to Edwards, the last south australian we drafted (Meyer) ... hasn't made an impact !

Cleve Hughes.  ;)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Bulluss

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 11:51:46 PM »
I thought that both the first gamers did ok

Not convinced that King is up to it, atleast he had a crack and flew the flag a few times which is more than most of his team mates can say. Good pace and his skills were ok, hardness at the footy and awareness will come with more games.

As for Edwards, i reckon this boy looked really good.

Didnt have a huge impact but picked up a few touches and certainly knows how to use it. Sure he made a couple of mistakes but he certainly looks a likely type.

I am sure he will be told of for trying to straighten up the team at times.  :P