Author Topic: Leadership  (Read 6424 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Leadership
« on: July 18, 2004, 10:07:36 PM »
During the game against the Saints there was a small incident that highlighted to me at least how much leadership we lack.

In the 2nd quarter Hamill had a go at Jackson - nothing serious just a bit of pushing and bumping - bascially roughing the kid up. Sad that someone like Hamill had to rough up a school kid ::) but hey it is AFL footy. :-\

Not one of our "senior" players came in to help - I think Hartigan may have and eventually Kane Johnson did but no one else. Richo is excused because he was down the other end of the game but for the others it was poor.

Isn't part of leadership about going in helping and for want of a better term "protecting" your younger teammates?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Leadership
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 10:11:28 PM »
How many so called leaders were actually playing?

The real question though is how many leaders do we actually have?

As Ox said, they have a hard enough time taking care of themselves let alone looking out for someody else.

Sad but true.

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 10:13:32 PM »
We dont have any enforcers whats so ever.
Saints have Hamill, Kangas have Archer and King, Port have Pickett,Brisbane have the Scott bros and others,Bombers have the johnson boys and Soloman, even the hawks have Brown and Vandenberg.
We have no one ! And dont anyone say Fleming either ;)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:39:42 AM »
During the game against the Saints there was a small incident that highlighted to me at least how much leadership we lack.

In the 2nd quarter Hamill had a go at Jackson - nothing serious just a bit of pushing and bumping - bascially roughing the kid up. Sad that someone like Hamill had to rough up a school kid ::) but hey it is AFL footy. :-\

Not one of our "senior" players came in to help - I think Hartigan may have and eventually Kane Johnson did but no one else. Richo is excused because he was down the other end of the game but for the others it was poor.

Isn't part of leadership about going in helping and for want of a better term "protecting" your younger teammates?

I saw that too WP...sad really.

By the way, it was Chris Hyde :o who went in to stick up for him before Johnno got there.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 10:38:08 AM »
Note: Our two players who are meant to be our two strongest candidates for Captain next year have been shocking the past 2 weeks. Ok Johno was handed the baton on Sat and I was a big rap for it and for him.....he failed miserably. He lacked winning the ball and while he was 'ok' around the clinches, he did nothing that says we should strip Campbell of it. He did nothing more and possibly less than what Campbell would do......Browny....well another bad game...

I beleive a captain has to be a match-winner....which is why Im all for taking it of Campbell. Everyone says Richo is not worthy, but I have done a 180 on this, I think he should be thrown the job. He consistently beats his man one-on-one, he is the ONLY man who can turn a game by a single moment, and hes a Tiger.

Yes his attitude has been poor in the past and the like but I think its time we try something radical. Campbell is good but not a captain, Johno...Im willing to give him the rest of the season but he needs to be damaging, he needs to be seen driving with the ball....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 03:40:15 PM »
The person I was sitting next to on Saturday brought up Jackstar's topic of the top teams having a number of enforcers as well as the skilled and star players. He liked Fleming because of this although a enforcer still needs to have decent disposal. The only other blokes we have that could play as enforcers are Zantuck and Stafford. We need blokes in our side who remind the opposition that they are around and fly the flag for their teammates.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 03:47:46 PM »
Im now officially a Fleming Supporter.

I just cant bag someone with spark - simple as that.

Go Tim !!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 04:05:05 PM »
And because of that "spark" I think it's safe to say Fleming will be around next year. He won't be part of a premiership team due to his disposal deficiencies but his commitment and urgency is something many of his teammates severely need.

Sheesh it's like watching the old footy marathon from the 60's and early 70's when we play. Take a mark or get a free kick and just plod back and take half an hour to make up your mind so all your teammates are manned-up then bomb it long to a pack ::). No wonder we get slaughtered when we play a style of footy from 30+ years ago which we suck at in any case. Yawn!  :(
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 04:14:26 PM »
Sheesh it's like watching the old footy marathon from the 60's and early 70's when we play. Take a mark or get a free kick and just plod back and take half an hour to make up your mind so all your teammates are manned-up then bomb it long to a pack

So true MT !!!
I'm just waiting for us to to start kicking drop kicks for goal. ::)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:18:19 PM »
We will be taking a step backwards by retaining Fleming. He must be one of the first to go....No skill and no brains is a lot of what we have had over the past pfftt I dont know how many years.

Lets not fall into the trap again....he wouldnt get a game at any other AFL club...not even the Dogs.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Ox

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 09:29:22 PM »
he wouldnt get a game at any other AFL club...not even the Dogs.

But we're the Tiges !!! ::)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »
Note: Our two players who are meant to be our two strongest candidates for Captain next year have been shocking the past 2 weeks. Ok Johno was handed the baton on Sat and I was a big rap for it and for him.....he failed miserably. He lacked winning the ball and while he was 'ok' around the clinches, he did nothing that says we should strip Campbell of it. He did nothing more and possibly less than what Campbell would do......Browny....well another bad game...

I beleive a captain has to be a match-winner....which is why Im all for taking it of Campbell. Everyone says Richo is not worthy, but I have done a 180 on this, I think he should be thrown the job. He consistently beats his man one-on-one, he is the ONLY man who can turn a game by a single moment, and hes a Tiger.

Yes his attitude has been poor in the past and the like but I think its time we try something radical. Campbell is good but not a captain, Johno...Im willing to give him the rest of the season but he needs to be damaging, he needs to be seen driving with the ball....

om21, the problem with Richo is that if he starts playing badly or isn't able to contribute to the team becuase of others' deficiencies then he takes it out on the team and drops his bundle as well. What I saw last year makes me doubt that he is captaincy material. However you are right that he is a matchwinner and can lead the way in terms of swinging a games' momentum in our favour. he is also probably the most charismatic and most loved player we have, by fans and players alike, which works in his favour. If he is to be considered for captaincy again he would have to start by being in the leadership group next year, not given the captaincy straight away.

About Johnson, I don't see him being able to do a better captaincy job than what Campbell has done but i think he is probably the best man we have available for the job at the moment seeing that Campbell is past it and can't even keep himself out on the field. I have my reservations about Nathan Brown being captain. He's a super talent and all, can win matches off his own boot, but he seems one of those players that should be left to work their own tricks and not have to worry about the performance of others. Somewhat similar to Akermanis, though Brown is way more diplomatic than Aker.   
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 09:53:27 PM by JohnF »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:55:27 PM »
Fleming, if for no other reason, should be kept next year becuase we have about 15 softies that should go before him...

Jackstar

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 12:07:46 AM »
Your right John F, Fleming stays !

Offline gustiger12

• Tiger Rookie
  • unleash the passion
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 12:57:39 AM »
Fleming, if for no other reason, should be kept next year becuase we have about 15 softies that should go before him...

JohnF I may have to report you to the moderator for child abuse......that Avatar cracks me up.