Author Topic: Good Friday Proposal  (Read 12122 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Good Friday Proposal
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 12:45:06 PM »

Swish......Swish......Swish

(the sound of tumble weed rolling through this thread)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
Geelong and Collingwood  ::) want Good Friday to themselves. After only 55k last night that's hardly an endorsement crowd wise. In fact the Pies' crowds have been down in all 3 rounds so far. So much for carrying the rest of the comp  :sleep.

They're all in jail :thumbsup
:lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 02:33:01 AM »
what i find funny about people who dont believe in the days and dates of good friday or any other public holiday based on the catholic calender, they are quite happy to make the most of it and take the public holiday and either work for  double time and a half.  isnt interestering how so many non catholics or atheists take the easter and christmas holidays buys gifts for family and friends to celebrate an occassion they dont even believe in. i know i a bit off the topic but as i said b4 , imo Good Friday should reamian a non afl day.
Sorry but that's just stupid, a public holiday is a public holiday regardless of it's heritage, think of it as a collective RDO.
By your logic, anyone who doesn't watch the Melbourne Cup should be at work, immigrants or families with no Australian Army ties should work on ANZAC Day, people who aren't in unions should work on Labour Day. Hell, Queen's Birthday isn't even on the Queen's birthday and is different in almost every state so what's the relevance there? Jewish or Greek people don't get public holidays for their religious holidays, it's simply tradition.

I'd have no problem with AFL being played on Good Friday, but I'd like to see most of the proceeds to be donated to the Good Friday Appeal

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »
true a public holiday is a public holiday, but sometimes we should sit back and reflect and understand why these days are public holidays and what they mean.
this is the problem with society today. nothing has meaning anymore and respect is quickly escaping western culture

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
true a public holiday is a public holiday, but sometimes we should sit back and reflect and understand why these days are public holidays and what they mean.

No, not when it is for religious reasons, absolutely not.  No-one has the right to force (or even present) their religious beliefs on anyone and if you choose to disregard or reject religion for whatever reason then that is your prerogative.  In this free (and very, very lucky country) you have the freedom to reflect and celebrate whatever is important to you on whatever day you wish for whatever reason you wish.  No-one forces our society to observe customs for any other religion - Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu etc etc but by forcing the closure of services or restriction to activities because of Christian beliefs we fly in the face of the very freedom and tolerance we espouse and cherish.

this is the problem with society today. nothing has meaning anymore and respect is quickly escaping western culture

Don't restrict your comment to western culture - lack of respect and meaning is endemic throughout the modern world - probably the only places left where this doesn't apply are in the remote areas of 'third world' (a horrible term) countries where supposed civilization hasn't had much opportunity to tarnish and pollute yet.  If you want to find the 'problem' with our society today then look closer to home - the breakdown of family, the breakdown of social morals, the decrease in education standards, the increase in chemical dependence - that's where you will find the real problems with society today.

</ OT social commentary rant>

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »

No, not when it is for religious reasons, absolutely not.  No-one has the right to force (or even present) their religious beliefs on anyone and if you choose to disregard or reject religion for whatever reason then that is your prerogative.  In this free (and very, very lucky country) you have the freedom to reflect and celebrate whatever is important to you on whatever day you wish for whatever reason you wish.  No-one forces our society to observe customs for any other religion - Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu etc etc but by forcing the closure of services or restriction to activities because of Christian beliefs we fly in the face of the very freedom and tolerance we espouse and cherish.

Don't restrict your comment to western culture - lack of respect and meaning is endemic throughout the modern world - probably the only places left where this doesn't apply are in the remote areas of 'third world' (a horrible term) countries where supposed civilization hasn't had much opportunity to tarnish and pollute yet.  If you want to find the 'problem' with our society today then look closer to home - the breakdown of family, the breakdown of social morals, the decrease in education standards, the increase in chemical dependence - that's where you will find the real problems with society today.

for only a handful of times i agree with everything you have said here.

absolutely agree!

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »

for only a handful of times i agree with everything you have said here.

absolutely agree!

I agree too, absolutely 100% spot on!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 12:03:36 PM »
The Blues and Hawks are now pushing for Good Friday football

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25435851-19742,00.html

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

and they will get it

afl are greedy and they said no to the kangas but to these 2, they will be like where do i sign.

its a done deal and we once again are too slow to jump at any opportunity
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »

and they will get it

afl are greedy and they said no to the kangas but to these 2, they will be like where do i sign.

Our administration does seem abit slow on some matters, what is most perturbing is we dont seem able to defend our clubs territory or clubs best interest on some matters- giving up the SE suburbs to Hawthorn for one thing, allowing Geelong to continually get its home fixture against us at Kardinia Park, allowing the media to run the club agenda- ie. ratcheting up speculation on coaches and players, getting the supporters in on the act- coz they usually follow anything in the press, and then the press stick the knife in. etc etc etc

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »
There you go running your mouth again about the club
I think you'll find that Richmond put forward a proposal to play on Good Friday last year

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 06:38:32 PM »
Why have it as a public holiday if it means nothing, why not just get rid of it and everyone can work or we could replace it with a national marti gra day or maybe national shopping day  :lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
Why have it as a public holiday if it means nothing, why not just get rid of it and everyone can work or we could replace it with a national marti gra day or maybe national shopping day  :lol

Sometimes you worry me bigfella  :o ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 02:06:11 AM »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 04:55:59 AM »
Well, I know where i plan to be 3.30 on good friday next year!!
The AFL really need to get with it on this issue.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI