Author Topic: Excuse me, my dog is going Baaaaa  (Read 3793 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Excuse me, my dog is going Baaaaa
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »
 :rollin

Sheep or poodle?
Photo: Erin Jonasson

Japanese fleeced in poodle scam
The Age
April 27, 2007 - 10:13AM

Thousands of Japanese have been swindled in a scam in which they were sold Australian and British sheep and told they were poodles.

Flocks of sheep were imported to Japan and then sold by a company called Poodles as Pets, marketed as fashionable accessories, available at $1,600 each.

That is a snip compared to a real poodle which retails for twice that much in Japan.

The scam was uncovered when Japanese moviestar Maiko Kawamaki went on a talk-show and wondered why her new pet would not bark or eat dog food.

She was crestfallen when told it was a sheep.

Then hundreds of other women got in touch with police to say they feared their new "poodle" was also a sheep.

One couple said they became suspicious when they took their "dog" to have its claws trimmed and were told it had hooves.

Japanese police believe there could be 2,000 people affected by the scam, which operated in Sapporo and capitalised on the fact that sheep are rare in Japan, so many do not know what they look like.

"We launched an investigation after we were made aware that a company were selling sheep as poodles,'' Japanese police said.

"Sadly we think there is more than one company operating in this way.

"The sheep are believed to have been imported from overseas - Britain, Australia.''

Many of the sheep have now been donated to zoos and farms.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/pets/sheep-or-poodle/2007/04/27/1177459933458.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

Re: Excuse me, my dog is going Baaaaa
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:28:22 PM »
LMAO@ French cutlets

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 04:38:32 PM »
Might be the same company that was scamming Richmond until recently.
Sold us recycled hacks as stars because we didn't know what good players looked like.  :-\

A sheep would probably be just like a poodle on valium anyway.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:25:23 AM »
I've gotta couple of possums I can't get rid of, you reckon I could pass them off as cute puddycats  :rollin

2JD

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
I dunno....a poodle that can trim the grass and doesnt yap might be a good thing ;D