Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 11. Joel Bowden  (Read 1622 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 11. Joel Bowden
« on: July 20, 2004, 05:24:35 PM »
As the season is now about judging who stays or goes at the end of the year, thought we might have a look at each player who is on a knife's edge and get opinions until the end of the season.

Since getting a kick up the backside and dropped to Coburg earlier in the year, Joel is probably now playing his best footy. Before this year he took over from Daffy as the supporters' whipping boy but seems to have silenced his critics for the meantime who have moved their anger onto other senior players (Chaffey, Gas, etc).

I believe he still has a another year to go on his contract. So do we trust that he'll now keep his current good standard up in the future or do people still believe we should trade him while his currency is good? Either way why?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Re: Yeah or Neah - 11. Joel Bowden
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 05:38:33 PM »
He's slowly winning me back since his long awaited kick up the arse.
The thing that annoys the buggery out of me is he CAN play when he applies himself,but takes the soft undisiplined option too often :banghead

The backline may be just what he needs if he can rebound and run the lines properly.
The midfield is not the spot for him,too hot in that oven and we get to see the one arm in a contest Joel.
The forward line Joel is the 2nd/3rd option poor decision making Joleine.

mmmm keep.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »
Everyone (except the out and out duds) is tradeable. Especially the likes of Joel Bowden. His current form is pleasing, he is a very talented footballer, but if we could get some good draft picks for him we would have to consider it. The question is will we get offered good draft picks for him? probably not.

Most likely keep. I don't expect him to keep up the form he is in though. But if he was put up for trade we'd probably only get a second round draft pick for him. In which case, we may as well keep him.

froars

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »
Anyone's tradeable but do clubs normally trade their B&F players.
Me thinks he might win it this year.

Bulluss

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »
He hasnt done his chances any harm by his performances since coming back from Coburg, but i would think anyone would be stuggling to beat Browny as he was our best player nearly everygame of the first half.

In regards to Bowden staying or going, i think we should keep him. He has really turned his career around this year and can still improve further next season under Terry Wallace.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 09:39:12 AM »
He deserves a Yeah because of the way he has played since doing his time at Coburg.

Perhaps if he had been given the kick up the backside earlier we would be applauding a B&F winner - who knows :-\

Based on his performances this season - especially his efforts against Brown & Hamill I say - keep.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 10:28:13 AM »
THe most ineffective player we got in terms of possessions/usage. The more possession he gets, the more he wastes it. A lot of people rate him and that alone is trade-bait. Must REALLY be put on the table come trade-time. Lets not be fooled by these last few weeks. How damaging is getting the ball and booting it 50 metres to a wall of opposition players?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline gustiger12

• Tiger Rookie
  • unleash the passion
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 12:46:22 AM »
Bowden is another classic case of mismanagement.  He got complacent and believed he was untouchable at senior level, but got a kick up the kyber and hasn't looked back since.  That in itself is a sign of good character which makes me lean towards keep.

Just a pity is wasn't done 12 months ago to give him the wake up call he needed.