Author Topic: Umpiring today/ Sugar will cop a fine/ RFC cops $7,500 fine  (Read 5859 times)

Ox

Re: Umpiring today/ Sugar will cop a fine
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »
Considering we can't mercilessly kill them..............

All umpires should be retired players.
The earlier they retire the better,imo.

The AFL needs to expand umpire recruitment and offer incentive to ex players to
view it as a second stage to having been a footballer.

Guy's stop playing from between 26 - 35.

I wouldn't have a problem with them being as old as 50 ,so long as they knew the game from
a PLAYERS perspective,as opposed to a kid that never had the personality,guts or talent to actually play.

Geesh is just another Frawley.

I cant believe we employed these guys.....actually...I can. :banghead

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Umpiring was okay - Geischen
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »
Who else can tell that Jeff Gieschen was molested as a young boy ?

Rather obvious really.....I thought.

True story, he's a Maffra boy like myself, and my mum actually used to babysit him.

I'll ask her what his parents were like or if he had one of them 'molestering' uncles, that everyone seems to have. 
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ox

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 05:14:28 PM »

True story, he's a Maffra boy like myself, and my mum actually used to babysit him.

I'll ask her what his parents were like or if he had one of them 'molestering' uncles, that everyone seems to have. 

*edited*
ROFLOMAOO Sorry Tiga Wayne.lol

for sure.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »

i thought more on the line that his mum and dad were brother and sister!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »
You could then end up with Spud as an umpire  :help. Even the umpiring fraternity doesn't deserve a fate such as that lol

Quote from: ())(
The AFL needs to expand umpire recruitment and offer incentive to ex players to view it as a second stage to having been a footballer.

A good idea. Mark Fraser is probably the only ex-player currently I can think of.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
terry said today that its just not right of the afl to fine sugar for telling the truth

and

not fining other people for lying!!!!!!

well done terry

take note giesh!!!! u liar!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Humphery-Smith on SEN now
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 06:27:47 PM »
Humphery-Smith says Sugar should be fined $10,000. Says you can't tolerate it because it'll put off kids doing umpiring. Accused us of doing it premediated and theatrical  ::).

Schwarz is actually sticking up for us. Said the umpiring was shocking and why can't the Captain comment on the umpires as all he said it was inconsistent. Humphrey-Smith ignores that question and keeps going on about Sugar going up to the umps.

Moi

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »
I know the umps or whatever go and see the clubs to sort stuff out if they have issues, but where does it leave the supporter?  We get no explanation and are left in the dark as to why we get crucified week in and week out - well it seems that way this year.

Just leaves you with the impression there is an agenda at work here  :(

Probably not one, but what else are you to think?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
How about Humphrey-Smith saying people who thought we were hard done by were ill-informed about the game ::).

I agree with the caller who said it's laughable to be critical of people being ill-informed when it's a closed shop and there's no comunication to the public nor explanation of decisions. Agree umps would gain greater respect if they accepted constructive criticism and were open and honest about decisions. They are meant to be grown men who are professionals just like the players and coaches. I remember World of Sport when they had "What's your decision?" and they would get the ump in to talk through controversial decisions. That didn't do any harm to umpiring.

Every single caller is bagging Humphrey-Smith  :thumbsup

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
Humphrey-Smith is to umpiring as Andrew Bolt is to the top end of Collins St. A mere apologist, the one who is prepared, even welcomes, criticisms of him, it spurs him to greater heights, it just goes to show that once an umpire, always a friggin umpire Derek!

Geishen was totally incorrect to focus only on mistakes that occur as free kicks paid, if that is how they review things as the norm for umpiring guidance and reviews then they are on the wrong track, some of the best umpiring is calling 'play on'.

To me the probelm is the umpires want to be part of the "show" not just one of the props.  This were the game has gone wrong by putting microphones on them and making them think they are a important part of the entertainment.  The best game you can watch is a game that you do notice these guys but that never happens anymore (they wont let it).  The whole standard of umpiring has gone bad (not just tigers games) and all the tinkering with the rules over the last five to ten years hasn't helped one bit.

Take a step back AFL and watch some replays of older games, listen to the fans and don't just say the game is getting better because more people go or because you get more TV dollars. Its not.

My 2 cents

Fluffy that is absolutely spot on, I am sick of hearing their voices, they talk to the players too much, not just the infamous Richo 'coaching' incident, but these maggots just keep crapping on and on, they virtually encourage players to argue with them by continually responding to their complaints about the free just paid against them.

I've got an idea for the umpiring fraterity. Keep it simple! Don't argue back with the players! Even better, go back to the rule book and do what it requires you to do, it requires you to blow the whistle, make a hand signal and call the free kick. The rule book doesn't ask you to call the players by name, as if you were a friend of theirs. It doesn't say that you have to justify your decision to a player. So don't do it!

I am a big believer in that the best umpires are the ones that you don't notice, and that applies in any sport.

Unfortunately, miking up the umps has made it worse, now they are just showcasing themselves, and if anyone doesn't believe me on that, go to
http://www.aflua.com.au/

and check out the line of footy umpire cards, that the umpires association themselves have released, ffs!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
Geishen was totally incorrect to focus only on mistakes that occur as free kicks paid, if that is how they review things as the norm for umpiring guidance and reviews then they are on the wrong track, some of the best umpiring is calling 'play on'.
Well said DC :clapping. Incidental contact should be called play on.

and check out the line of footy umpire cards, that the umpires association themselves have released, ffs!
That's tragic :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

To me the probelm is the umpires want to be part of the "show" not just one of the props.  This were the game has gone wrong by putting microphones on them and making them think they are a important part of the entertainment.  The best game you can watch is a game that you do notice these guys but that never happens anymore (they wont let it).  The whole standard of umpiring has gone bad (not just tigers games) and all the tinkering with the rules over the last five to ten years hasn't helped one bit.

Take a step back AFL and watch some replays of older games, listen to the fans and don't just say the game is getting better because more people go or because you get more TV dollars. Its not.

My 2 cents

Maybe your 2 cents Fluffy but 100% spot on.

:clapping :clapping :clapping

Although one DH Smith  ;D would tell you your argument lacks any form of logic and let's be honest he'd know
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richmond FC fined by AFL
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 06:07:11 PM »
SEN news just said Richmond has been fine $5,000 with a portion of it suspended by the AFL for Sugar's comments and going up to the umps at half-time. Not exactly sure if they meant $5,000 in total or $5,000 for each of the two breaches.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
a joke
he has been fined 10k

2.5k suspended

afl are losers

gees , why did i give up swearing yesterday

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond FC fined $7,500 by AFL
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 06:29:35 PM »
Would the AFL and Geischen then like to explain why Umpire No. 31 has been dropped again if the umpiring was okay ?! What a crock! ::)

This guy was dropped after our Sydney game because he stuffed up on the holding the ball decisions. He then is brought back for our West Coast game on Saturday, stuff ups and gets dropped again and yet we get fined  :banghead