Author Topic: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45  (Read 13719 times)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »
umm - didn't we choose to retain Gasper and retire Kellerway?  

Moi

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
What Gas said

During a meeting on Wednesday, Terry made it clear to him that the club wanted to employ a policy of promoting youth of the club ahead of Darren.
He believes his form over the first five games this year has been reasonable, with two very good games, two in which he did his job and one which he believes was below par.
It has been made clear to him that his form was not the issue; it was about developing the players for the future.
When he signed on last year he expected every opportunity to earn his spot in the team.  When he learned that this wasn’t the case he was surprised and very disappointed.
He says he has no option but to respect the club’s decision, and believes that they will respect his decision to move on.
Says it’s been a great privilege to represent the RFC.  It has been a wonderful journey that has enabled him to meet great players, people, supporters and officials.
Says he is a proud person and he’s proud of his achievements over a 14 year career in the AFL.
The club has asked him to work with to help develop the young defenders.  He looks forward to seeing the development of the next RFC premiership team and will watch that premiership with the business of not playing in a premiership team himself.
Definitely been a stressful few days, especially the last 48 hours.  However, nothing can take away the happiness that has entered his life last Thursday morning.  Sarah gave birth to their first children Ella and Chloe, they’re identical twins.
He’d like to thank all the supporters, coaches, players, manager Ron Joseph, the staff of the RFC.
As a life member, he will be watching and supporting this proud club for ever more.

Life goes on

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
umm - didn't we choose to retain Gasper and retire Kellerway?  

YES!

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »
re what Gas said.

That to me says we've wasted three years (if you include this one) and are burning good people along the way.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 02:37:51 PM »
If being open by informing a player he will have limited opportunity going forward is burning good people, then fuel the fire I say.

Andy Kellaway declined a farewell game offered to him. I thought that was a shame.
Seems Gas has declined as well seeing he was picked this week after being told of his reduced opportunity, going by his comment about the last 48 hours.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:48:54 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
Sarah gave birth to their first children Ella and Chloe, they’re identical twins.

My guess is they are gonna have a pretty tough infanthood being dropped, fumbled and soccered around by Gaspar. The man couldn't hold a sherrin after 20+ years of practice, hows he gonna cope with two kids.

Seriously, well done, but I'm glad you're gone Gas.

Ox

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 02:41:05 PM »
What Gas said

During a meeting on Wednesday, Terry made it clear to him that the club wanted to employ a policy of promoting youth of the club ahead of Darren.
He believes his form over the first five games this year has been reasonable, with two very good games, two in which he did his job and one which he believes was below par.
It has been made clear to him that his form was not the issue; it was about developing the players for the future.
When he signed on last year he expected every opportunity to earn his spot in the team.  When he learned that this wasn’t the case he was surprised and very disappointed.
He says he has no option but to respect the club’s decision, and believes that they will respect his decision to move on.
Says it’s been a great privilege to represent the RFC.  It has been a wonderful journey that has enabled him to meet great players, people, supporters and officials.
Says he is a proud person and he’s proud of his achievements over a 14 year career in the AFL.
The club has asked him to work with to help develop the young defenders.  He looks forward to seeing the development of the next RFC premiership team and will watch that premiership with the business of not playing in a premiership team himself.
Definitely been a stressful few days, especially the last 48 hours.  However, nothing can take away the happiness that has entered his life last Thursday morning.  Sarah gave birth to their first children Ella and Chloe, they’re identical twins.
He’d like to thank all the supporters, coaches, players, manager Ron Joseph, the staff of the RFC.
As a life member, he will be watching and supporting this proud club for ever more.

Just pack ur poo up and GTF out.
 :clapping
Absolute sihtman.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
I might just add, why did the club sign him up for another year and then change there mind after 5 rounds, ::) ::) they will have to honour the contract I would think, this is comedy at its best :lol :rollin :rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin
the circus continues at punt road!

very bitter ex-employee talk there jack, very bitter indeed.

Maybe the club changed their minds because the youngsters have come on faster than expected, Mcguane Polak and Moore all have earned and retained their places in the team, Jack and Hughes also need to play as much as possible, Gas was told, and he did the tigers a big favour and retired, saving richmond at least 100k, thanks for the memories gas, dont the let the door slam on your way out.

You know a tiger fan is bitter when the retirement of Darren Gaspar, is not seen as a postive,
blaisee

Ramps

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 03:00:41 PM »
He was a decent full back prior to the knee...thanks for the effort but Plough is right to move him on now.

PS- Jacko...can you please not use words like circus and punt road in the same sentence- thats my material lol.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that things of this nature:

1. Happen at all.
2. Couldn't be managed a little better.

I agree with Jack that there is probably a little bit more to this decision than is visable, but I wouldn't go as far as to imply that there was anything sinister in it. Just a tad indicator of Mismanagement.

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that things of this nature:

1. Happen at all.
2. Couldn't be managed a little better.

I agree with Jack that there is probably a little bit more to this decision than is visable, but I wouldn't go as far as to imply that there was anything sinister in it. Just a tad indicator of Mismanagement.

why, why mismanagement?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
I was about to ask the same question, blaisee.

What should have been done?
Just drop Gas to Coburg and not tell him he would have limited opportunities to play at Richmond now?
Not tell AK last year that he'd have limited opportunities other than at Coburg this year? Not give him the opportunity to play a farewell game?
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
Maybe the club changed their minds because the youngsters have come on faster than expected, Mcguane Polak and Moore all have earned and retained their places in the team, Jack and Hughes also need to play as much as possible, Gas was told, and he did the tigers a big favour and retired, saving richmond at least 100k

That's pretty much it and being 0-5. This year was going to be Gas' last anyway as that was known before the season started. If we were 4-1 then the senior players would be given one last crack at playing finals but the reality is we are 0-5 and our season is gone as far as making the finals so we're starting now on 2008 and beyond now.

ps. Thank god it wasn't Browny or Cogs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 03:43:32 PM »
Will Gas play this weekend for a farewell match?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »
I was about to ask the same question, blaisee.

What should have been done?
Just drop Gas to Coburg and not tell him he would have limited opportunities to play at Richmond now?
Not tell AK last year that he'd have limited opportunities other than at Coburg this year? Not give him the opportunity to play a farewell game?
Exactly FF.

As for Chubba he wasn't a KP backman nor a rebounding defender. Both Chubba and Gas gave good loyal service to Richmond but the modern game has passed them both by. Good on Gas for effectively accepting an assistant coach role despite being obviously disappointed with the decision.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd