Author Topic: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45  (Read 13722 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 04:06:16 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that things of this nature:

1. Happen at all.
2. Couldn't be managed a little better.

I agree with Jack that there is probably a little bit more to this decision than is visable, but I wouldn't go as far as to imply that there was anything sinister in it. Just a tad indicator of Mismanagement.

why, why mismanagement?

Not in the decision itself, but in the circumstance of how it all came about and that could be from a series of little bad decisions made over a period of the last 6 months or even longer or shorter.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
Will Gas play this weekend for a farewell match?

Didn't train today after the press conference.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Life goes on

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
I might just add, why did the club sign him up for another year and then change there mind after 5 rounds, ::) ::) they will have to honour the contract I would think, this is comedy at its best :lol :rollin :rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin
the circus continues at punt road!

very bitter ex-employee talk there jack, very bitter indeed.

Maybe the club changed their minds because the youngsters have come on faster than expected, Mcguane Polak and Moore all have earned and retained their places in the team, Jack and Hughes also need to play as much as possible, Gas was told, and he did the tigers a big favour and retired, saving richmond at least 100k, thanks for the memories gas, dont the let the door slam on your way out.

You know a tiger fan is bitter when the retirement of Darren Gaspar, is not seen as a postive,
blaisee

Nothing to do with me Blaisee.
Why give a guy a contract and then 5 games later say goodbye ??
Thats a bit strange dont you think  ::)
Makes me think they have no idea what there doing.
And if they had any idea , they wouldnt have given him a contract this year, know theres money down the drain

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
McGuane suddenly coming on quicker than they thought as well as us losing our first 5 games changed pretty much everything. If you want to be critical then perhaps ask why this wasn't done in Plough's first two years? The answer though is we had no young KP talls except for Schulz to replace Gas and Chubba thanks to Spud and Beck. If thursty hadn't done his knee last year Gas would have been retired along with Chubba.

Life goes on

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »
Well MT, I ask this, why pick him this week for ?

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that things of this nature:

1. Happen at all.
2. Couldn't be managed a little better.

I agree with Jack that there is probably a little bit more to this decision than is visable, but I wouldn't go as far as to imply that there was anything sinister in it. Just a tad indicator of Mismanagement.

why, why mismanagement?

Not in the decision itself, but in the circumstance of how it all came about and that could be from a series of little bad decisions made over a period of the last 6 months or even longer or shorter.

um if you are trying to be cryptic, you have succeeded

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »

well,

you decide jack

a) because they are comedy capers

b) he actually decided 100% to retire this morining, or late last night, after the team had to be anounced.

Only a bitter ex-employee will pick a)

Moi

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
Nothing to do with me Blaisee.
Why give a guy a contract and then 5 games later say goodbye ??
Thats a bit strange dont you think  ::)
Makes me think they have no idea what there doing.
And if they had any idea , they wouldnt have given him a contract this year, know theres money down the drain
To the bitter and twisted it probably would look like a circus and mismanagement, but so would winning a premiership to them as well - nothing would suffice.
But the club's been honest with him - cruel, but honest.  And Gas is being true to himself by walking away when he says he doesn't like it.  Better than him being bitter like some and having it permeate through the club like it has on this board  ::)
The fact he will remain at the club helping and also supporting the club, to me, means there's not a lot of bitterness and has a lot of class, unlike some!
If we're not going to win games this year, we've got to achieve something - and that something will be to go through everyone on the list, play them, develop them and sort out who's not going to be there for the long term.
I wonder if Tiv, Krak and a few others have received the same message as Gas!  But Gas is different, he's of retirement age and the others are, hopefully, going to try and work through their deficiencies and get back some form.  
poo happens, but Gas sounds pretty capable of handling this.

PS:

LMAO@Jake  :lol

Life goes on

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
Read PAGE 105 of todays paper, he is picked to play, team submitted at AFL 5pm yesterday.
Can tell you things ""happened"" this morning!
Could tell you more, but mate, I am just a bitter ex employee remember ;)
Really couldnt be bothered ::)

Answer. is A

Moi

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
To all the old fossils dreaming of '90s mediocrity.
Guess what?  Knights is gone, the Kellaways are gone, the Rogers, Turner, Gas and nearly everyone else from that outstanding  ::) era  :clapping
Get over it. 
Why do you want to live in a past filled with abysmal failure?

They're gone - move on!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 04:47:30 PM »

good question jack

now i have no idea about what goes on behind teh scenes at afl clubs, you have a much greater understanding than me.

this is just my answer to your question and are my thoughts only.

maybe gaspar was selected to play and told it would be his send off and last game for the club and he would finish his career at the burger.  now he said he was a proud man( i have no idea why, he sure as hell dosnt  play like a proud man) and we all know he is a quiet type, thus he may have said thanks but no thanks, i wont play as of now.

so if he objected to a send off aka chubba, thats poor form.

however , we should be rejoicing . At least week in week out from now on the club wont have to select a player who plays, gives us the impression that he plays the game with no desire, no heart , no interest and poor skill.

its now one less dud we have to worry about.

i would rather lose by a few goals week in week out with moore, thursty, mguane, polak etc getting goals kicked on them than gaspar. at least the other blokes will learn from their experiences, gaspar, like tivendale wont learn anything else, and wont improve.

this way we are giving the kids game time and show us b/w now and rnd 22 if they can/have/havent improved.

i dont know why clubs have to be moral, why should they.  players leave clubs , look at aker, browny, otto , stevens etc. when players dont leave on moral grounds we crack the nanas, so if its ok for players to shaft clubs, its ok for clubs to shaft players.

what gets up my nose, is why didnt terry just get rid of these blokes, gas, chubba, tiv, staff, chaff etc, as soon as he arrived. it woudl have meant 2 more wooden spoons or very low finishes and 2 more yrs of very handy picks.

these sackings/retirements/ droppings(tiv/krak etc) are 2 yrs too late

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
Because he retired today  :wallywink

Seriously I'm with Moi. I can't believe some people who have been calling for this for years on here are now upset that it's happened ???. Richo and Joel are the only ones left from the failed generation.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
Players need to learn that a first grade spot is a privilege not a right. If Gas was so willing to take one up the rear end from the club then that is what he deserves. If he still had any intestinal fortitude or fire in the belly he would have said to Terry "Okay throw me in the Burgers but I am going to lift my game to the point that you are going to have no option but to select me." Instead we got "Thanks for the good times. I'll now crawl into my corner and accept defeat and a payout."

And now for a tune (sing to the tune of 70's sitcom "Good Times")

Gas-par.
Anytime you need a clanger.
Gas-par.
Any time you need a Dud.
Gas-par.
Any time you need a blunder.

Not getting faster, not up to muster.
Kicking not AFL standard.
Should have been sent to the West.

Injuries & lay offs.
Gas-par.
Gee we sure got ripped off.
Gas-par.
decision ain't surprising.
Gas-par.
Now he's on the dole line
Gas-par.
Ain't we lucky he's goin'
Gas-par.....Yeah!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 04:54:05 PM »
Because he retired today  :wallywink

Seriously I'm with Moi. I can't believe some people who have been calling for this for years on here are now upset that it's happened ???. Richo and Joel are the only ones left from the failed generation.

im not upset, just upset it is 2 yrs too late

letsgetiton!

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »
Players need to learn that a first grade spot is a privilege not a right. If Gas was so willing to take one up the rear end from the club then that is what he deserves. If he still had any intestinal fortitude or fire in the belly he would have said to Terry "Okay throw me in the Burgers but I am going to lift my game to the point that you are going to have no option but to select me." Instead we got "Thanks for the good times. I'll now crawl into my corner and accept defeat and a payout."

And now for a tune (sing to the tune of 70's sitcom "Good Times")

Gas-par.
Anytime you need a clanger.
Gas-par.
Any time you need a Dud.
Gas-par.
Any time you need a blunder.

Not getting faster, not up to muster.
Kicking not AFL standard.
Should have been sent to the West.

Injuries & lay offs.
Gas-par.
Gee we sure got ripped off.