Author Topic: Tuesdays with Terry and March, Miller and Sugar tomorrow 2.30pm  (Read 2158 times)

Life goes on

Re: Tuesdays with Terry and March, Miller and Sugar tomorrow 2.30pm
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »
Kane Johnson said he didnt beleive the group was soft.
Hate to tell you this sugar, the other 15 clubs think that Richmond is real soft! FACT!  Just ask Ryan Griffen!
He said based on the first 5 weeks he wouldn't call us soft. If we put in anymore efforts like Sunday then people would have the right to call us soft.

Wallace also praised supporters and he hasn't seen any of the over the top behaviour which he use to see sitting in the outer. Said supporters have a right to be angry.

Yeah, half at gone home at half-time on sunday night ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tuesdays with Terry - Tigers stand by Plough (sportal)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »
Full article at: http://sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=98387

Tigers stand by Plough
by: Paul Gough
Sportal
May 8, 2007

Richmond president Gary March says the days of the club overreacting to heavy defeats were over, vowing coach Terry Wallace will definitely see out his five-year contract.

March and Wallace said the end of 2009 was the time for the club's progress to be judged and not now, with the Tigers' coach saying the main reason the club had slipped back to its old uncompetitive ways this season was because of injuries to experienced players.

Full article at: http://sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=98387

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
March backs his man and master plan (RFC site)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
March backs his man and master plan
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, May 8, 2007

PRESIDENT Gary March says the Tigers will stand by coach Terry Wallace and believes he “is the right person for this football club”.

“He’s proved to me that he’s an outstanding coach,” March said.

“He understands the game, he’s got the support of his group. He’s come to us with a plan for the future. We have to give him the time to complete that plan. If we don’t do that we’re just cutting ourselves off by not following the principles we laid down as a football club.”

March insists that despite the club heading into round seven winless, the Tigers board would not be deviating from its long-term plan.

“We appointed Terry two years ago, he came with a blueprint and that blueprint was to turnover our list and develop our list from within. /p>

“We said to him at the time we support him in that. We’ve got to go through our process and see it through,” March continued.

March showed his support of Wallace, captain Kane Johnson and director of football Greg Miller at the regular Tuesdays with Terry media conference at Punt Road.

The president said Richmond would not be replicating mistakes made in the past.

“I don’t think in the past that we went through a process in its entirety and that’s what we have to do this time, see the process through,” he said.

“We’ve seen it through off-field, now we need to see it through on-field.

“You can’t chop and change just because things don’t go right halfway through a plan and maybe some of the mistakes this football club has made in the past was chopping and changing halfway through a plan.

“We’ve got to see through this plan, we’ve got to stick to it and be solid with it and if we do we’ve got no doubt we’ll get the outcome that Richmond supporters desire.”

Director of football Greg Miller insists that he is confident that the playing group can recover from last Sunday’s demoralising defeat.

“I really believe in the quality of young men we’ve got around the place. They have their exciting times and their down times, they weren’t up last weekend. I hope we see them up this weekend. That’s the nature of youth,” Miller said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42840

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Captain says team will make amends (RFC site)
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »
Captain says team will make amends
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, May 8, 2007

SKIPPER Kane Johnson says that Richmond is looking forward to an away fixture this weekend following the club’s devastating 157-point round six defeat to Geelong.

“It’s just good that we can get away as a group and bond,” Johnson said.

“I think sometimes when you get away and travel and you stay in the same hotel and you’re around each other, it can really unite the group and I think it’s really good for us this week.”

The midfielder insisted that the morale of the playing group was not rock bottom.

“It’s pretty good considering. Obviously it’s pretty hard after a loss like that. Before the weekend to be zero and five and to have a really strong resolve around the group was fantastic and we haven’t deviated,” Johnson told richmondfc.com.au.

“Obviously it was hard to take over 24 hours, but now we move on.

“We’re really keen for this week to come around. We’re sorry for the performance the other night. It was inexcusable. We’re embarrassed about it and we just want to make sure that we do everything we can to turn things around in the next few weeks and show everyone that we are serious about where we’re going.”

Johnson rejected the notion that the playing group was soft.

“I don’t think we’re soft. I thing the first five weeks we showed we weren’t soft. It was something that happened the other night that we don’t accept and as I said if we keep putting up those performances you can call us a soft group, but I don’t think we’re soft,” he said.

“The leadership group’s got together, the whole group’s got together. We take full responsibility for the weekend. You can’t blame it all on Terry. He’s been a very good coach since I’ve been at the club and it’s our responsibility to do something about it at the weekend.”

Johnson said that the sudden retirement of key defender Darren Gaspar last week had not affected the playing group.

“Terry spoke to us about the decision. ‘Gas’ made the decision in the end. The club said that they were going to put younger players in front of him. That’s their decision going forward and we all respected that.

“Darren was a much-liked person around the place and a leader but we respect the club’s decision going forward and I just would have thought that it would have given the young lads some confidence that the club has in them and they’d play well on the weekend.

“It didn’t happen that way but I’m sure they’ll pick it up over the next few weeks.”

The captain said that although the form of players across the board has been ‘average’ he couldn’t explain why the team had played in the manner it did against Geelong.

“It’s hard to come up with a significant answer. Anyone that’s been in a game like that knows that it’s very hard to turn the tide when a side gets a full on run on like that,” Johnson said.

“I heard Wayne Carey and Garry Lyon talking about it last night and they said when you’re in that situation to actually turn around mid-game is very hard, it’s more what you do the next week and that’s what we’re going to focus on.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42839

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to make changes (RFC site)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »
Tigers to make changes
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, May 8, 2007

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says he will make multiple changes to his side for this weekend’s clash against Port Adelaide.

The coach conceded that the team would change “considerably” from the one that received a 157-point thrashing from Geelong last Sunday.

“The same 22 won’t play this weekend,” Wallace said.

“You can’t accept efforts that are not up to standard. Unfortunately some players who didn’t play as well as they’d like to will pay the price for that and others will come in.”

Wallace admitted that he found it difficult to review the demolition match.

“I watched it on Sunday night into the wee hours of Monday morning as part of the review process. I think when the game was finished, I was that shell-shocked I didn’t know which way I was going to react to it,” Wallace said.

“Do you go through it (on tape) or don’t you go through it at all. I got home and thought about a movie or something just to try to sort of get my head clear but then I thought that it wasn’t the process to go and I clearly had to watch it.

“At the start, I thought I’d watch a quarter and see how it went. I watched the first quarter and then thought this is the right thing to do.

“Obviously after a massive loss it’s tremendously disappointing for everybody involved – players, coaching staff, general staff and our football supporters.

“No doubt we’ve all been feeling it, it’s been a tough 48 hours but we also know we’ve got a job to do and we’ve got to get focused on it right away. Obviously for us it was business as usual yesterday but with a very sour taste in our mouths.”

Captain Kane Johnson, who sat alongside Wallace, club president Gary March and director of football Greg Miller at the regular Tuesdays with Terry media conference at Punt Road, said the players had accepted responsibility for the Tigers dismal effort at Telstra Dome on Sunday evening.

“The leadership group’s got together, the whole group’s got together,” Johnson said.

“We take full responsibility for the weekend. You can’t blame it all on Terry. He’s been a very good coach since I’ve been at the club and it’s our responsibility to do something about it at the weekend.

“Going forward, we’re keen to go out and show that it wasn’t us the other night … we’re just really keen to make amends.”

Wallace believes injuries, particularly to key personnel, are damaging the team’s performances.

“Clearly the ruck situation is murdering us at the moment,” Wallace admitted.

“Troy Simmonds’ ankle just hasn’t come up. He’s been really struggling on a weekly basis with that. He looks likely to miss this weekend and could miss two weeks. That’s hurting us.

“We haven’t had any use out of Trent Knobel at all as a secondary ruckman and that really had been causing us enormous problems.

“To think Knobel, Simmonds and Hall are all going down at the same time has left us exposed.”

Wallace insisted that despite the media scrutiny, he is coping with the pressure.

“I’ve been in this game for quite a time, I’ve been in the hot seat for a variety of reasons over the history of my time in the game so I think I’m strong enough to hold that. I know and understand what I’m trying to do as a coach of a young coaching group,” Wallace said.

“I started a process two-and-a-half years ago and we’re working through that process. When I took over the club we knew that we had an aging list. I was aware of the situation and the circumstances when I arrived. I knew that was going to take a period of time to change.

“We haven’t had much of our leadership up and running … we’ve had some circumstances that have been fairly difficult. We’ve had a generation of players move on over the past few years, we have another generation coming in, that takes time. People on the outside sometimes don’t understand how long that takes.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42838

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Key Tigers not there (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
Key Tigers not there
09 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

TERRY Wallace is confident he has a talented group of second, third and fourth-year players, but argues that unlike Port Adelaide, he has not got his senior players either in the side or in form.

"We haven't got our core group of senior players up and running and what that does is expose our younger players," Wallace said.

"Clearly the rucks situation is murdering us. Essendon had the same problem last year when they had to play Paddy Ryder in the ruck."

Troy Simmonds (ankle) is struggling and will miss this week, Trent Knobel is out for another month with the same ailment. Nathan Brown (leg), Ray Hall (hip) and Mark Coughlan (knee) are not expected back in the near-future.

Despite many kids in his team, Wallace denied the club had a youth policy.

"Every player has been told, whether they are 19 or 28, they will be selected purely and simply on their form," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21697110%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tuesdays with Terry and March, Miller and Sugar tomorrow 2.30pm
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 02:25:03 AM »
09 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

Asked why he believed he was the person to coach the Tigers, Wallace outlined the detailed plan he presented to the club when appointed.

He stressed the ageing list had to be turned over. In his 2 1/2 years he has chopped close to 20 players. "And we're only half way through that process," he said.

He baulked when asked if Tigers supporters had lost faith in him.

"That's not my decision. That's up to others to make that decision," he said.

"We're about developing this football club and that takes time."

Wallace, who was appointed in 2005 and has a 21-29 win-loss record, acknowledged he was under siege.

"That comes with the territory," Wallace said.

"When you have these non-competitive games it's devastating for everyone involved, and no doubt we've all been feeling it.

"It's been a tough 48 hours, but we also know we've got a job to do and we've got to focus on it straight away."

He said his family was the priority when football threatened to derail.

"I've been in this game quite a time. I've been in the hot seat for a variety of reasons," he said. "I know and understand what I'm trying to do as coach. I've got a young coaching group, we've got a lot of experience in our footy division, but we've got a young coaching group with a couple of young coaches added this year.

"It's important we stay really stable for their sakes so they don't lose confidence about the job they're doing."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21697439%255E20322,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers try to focus (The Age)
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 02:26:50 AM »
Tigers try to focus
Greg Baum | May 9, 2007
The Age

THERE was a tomorrow, but it was a long time coming. When Terry Wallace at last got home on Sunday night after Richmond's worst-ever thrashing, his first instinct was not to watch the game again, as he would normally, but put on a movie instead.

At length, he convinced himself to watch a quarter, then another. Sometimes in the small hours, the exorcism was complete. But no one among the Tigers slept easily.

It is easier to explain defeat by six goals than 26. Wallace tried, saying Richmond was a young team that had competed ferociously in the first five matches, but without a win to show for it was riding for a fall.

Severely depleted in the ruck, the Tigers had been smashed at stoppages, but had compensated until now with redoubled effort elsewhere. Against Geelong, three basic mistakes early in the game had hit them like a blow to the solar plexus.

With three of six leaders missing and captain Kane Johnson restricted by injury, Richmond was powerless to stop the Cats running away with the game. "Exciting times, then down times," said director of football Greg Miller, who looked as if he had slept no more than the coach. "It's the nature of youth."

By Monday morning, the Tigers were preparing to look the world in the eye again. Wallace read the papers, listened to the radio, absorbed some of the backlash. His first thought was for his family. After 30 years in the game, he was sure he was strong enough himself to withstand the inquisition. But his family could easily become collateral casualties.

Richmond's next game now was only five days away, in Adelaide. President Gary March would deal with media on Monday; Wallace, Miller and Johnson with the football. The Tigers play in Adelaide twice in a row, and originally had thought to spend the intervening week there, bonding. It was as well that they had abandoned that plan; in the circumstances, it would have looked like hiding.

One of football's virtues is that there is always next week. Richmond was beaten by 100-plus points three times last season, but each time gave a good account of itself at its next outing. The sounds emanating from the Tigers gym yesterday afternoon were as upbeat and industrious as ever. "We have to go out next week and show that that wasn't us out there," Johnson said.

Still, the club had to negotiate "Tuesday with Terry", the weekly media briefing. Usually, it is convivial, the coach and perhaps one other in the boardroom, humour aplenty. Yesterday, it was coach, captain, president and football director, but not even an incidental laugh.

The Tigers excoriated themselves publicly: "Inexcusable." "Embarrassing." "Appalling."

Then they tried to give it context. Richmond's list had been a "car wreck" when he arrived in 2005, said Wallace. The club was 2˝ years into the process of rehabilitation, said March, and unlike previous administrations would not be panicked out of seeing it through. Proper process necessarily was laborious: look at Carlton.

Fallout from Gaspar's shock retirement last week? "None whatsover," said Johnson. Lack of key position players? "Only in the ruck," said Wallace. The recruiting of Kent Kingsley? "To challenge Jay Schulz and Cleve Hughes," said Wallace. Tambling instead of Franklin in the 2004 draft? "In the early rounds," said Miller, "you always take the best player."

Soft? "The first five weeks showed we're not soft," said Johnson. Unlucky? "Twenty-eight fractures in 2˝ years," said Wallace. "They're not soft tissue injuries." Underfunded? "$1.4 million more this year than last," said March, and as much as the club could bear next year. Wallace? "Every confidence," said March.

Youth policy? "None," said Wallace, other than if the choice was between a 19-year-old and a 28-year-old in identical form, he, of course, would play the younger man. Injuries had given the side a young aspect, he said, and overburdened youngsters predictably had been able to make no impact as the Cats ran riot on Sunday. "But they don't stay 19 forever," said Wallace.

Changes? Two compulsory, up to four others, said Wallace.

With that, the hair shirts were packed away, the bed of nails folded up. "I don't want to think about that game too much more," said Johnson.

The Tigers were making yet another new beginning.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-try-to-focus/2007/05/08/1178390303102.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1