Author Topic: Richmond legends livid after weekend debacle  (Read 1843 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond legends livid after weekend debacle
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:18 AM »
Richmond legends livid after weekend debacle
08 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Trevor Grant

JOHN Northey, a former Richmond coach and premiership player, says he's disgusted and embarrassed.

Royce Hart, the club's champion centre half-forward in four premierships, describes it as "devastating" and says he's lucky he lives in the bush outside Hobart to hide from the scorn poured on his club.

Tony Jewell, the last man to coach a premiership at the club -- 27 years ago -- would be pulling his hair out today, if he had any left, because he fears the young players could now go downhill very quickly.

And Tommy Hafey, the club's most successful coach, says he was shocked and hopes the players are hurting enough to do something about it.

As for the late Graeme Richmond, the heart and soul of the club for the best part for four decades, well, they all reckon he'd be thundering around upstairs sharpening his hatchet.

Richmond, the club, is in crisis . . . again. As the Tiger fraternity picks over the bones of the 157-point loss to Geelong on Sunday, there's a very familiar sinking feeling suddenly replacing the buoyant expectation that came with Terry Wallace and his five-year plan.

"It's devastating. But you can't blame the players out there, it's the people that put them there who are at fault," Hart said.

"They've either recruited the wrong type of players or they have the wrong style of game. You shouldn't get beaten by that amount if you have had the very high draft picks Richmond has had.

"It's not as if no one else can do it. Hawthorn were in the same situation and they look rosy. Brisbane has recovered from losing all those great players. And Collingwood look like they are on the right track."

Hart, regarded as one of the greatest centre-half forwards of all time, said the club's drafting had the wrong focus.

"Their problem is that they haven't got a key-position player, yet they had the chance to take Lance Franklin," he said.

"When they took Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling (ahead of Franklin) at the draft (in 2004) they paraded them proudly at (then-president) Clinton Casey's place. They will be OK, but you have got to have key position players as your main target.

"They haven't got the right players to play the right style. Think of Franklin, Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Warren Tredrea. We haven't got anyone like that. Then they get rid of Darren Gaspar last week and have no one to replace him.

"It's just been unplanned as far as I'm concerned and it's been coming for a while. Unfortunately, they have got to start from scratch again.

"I'm glad I'm over here. I can hide. Tommy Hafey lost a Grand Final in 1972 and he wasn't sighted for two weeks. I wonder how he'd cope if we got beaten by 157 points in a roster game? I know GR (Richmond) would be making a lot of noise upstairs."

Northey agreed, saying Richmond's team on Sunday had disgraced the club's name.

"Having played there and coached them, you feel a bit disgusted actually. You used to never see those sort of displays from a Richmond team," he said.

"Terry Wallace has had them for nearly three years so to put on a performance like that is disgraceful.

"I didn't see all the game but I saw a few things on the field that told me the attitude was: 'it doesn't matter anyhow.'

"It's embarrassing for people like me, and our members, for them to capitulate like that."

Jewell said his major worry wasn't any emotional reaction from the supporters but the after-effects on a young team.

"I've had a lot of calls from Richmond people today and there's not that old ferocity about it. I think everyone is much more aware of the need to give them time to get it right," he said.

"My only concern is whether the rot sets in, especially with young kids. There's no hard core there to protect them.

"I still can't work out why the Gaspar sacking last week was allowed to happen when it did. Richmond's focus was all around Gaspar at absolutely the wrong time of the week. I'm not sure young blokes can handle that sort of thing."

Hafey hopes the Tigers can follow the lead of the Australian cricket team which won the World Cup after being thrashed by England and New Zealand in lead-up tournaments.

"It's a huge shock because they weren't playing too badly. You have just got to hope the players are hurt by it," he said.

Northey wasn't too sure what was needed.

"Maybe take them all to the psychologist," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21689765%255E20322,00.html

letsgetiton!

Re: Richmond legends livid after weekend debacle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »
royce hart says
"It's devastating. But you can't blame the players out there, it's the people that put them there who are at fault," Hart said.

"They've either recruited the wrong type of players or they have the wrong style of game. You shouldn't get beaten by that amount if you have had the very high draft picks Richmond has had.

"It's not as if no one else can do it. Hawthorn were in the same situation and they look rosy. Brisbane has recovered from losing all those great players. And Collingwood look like they are on the right track."

Hart, regarded as one of the greatest centre-half forwards of all time, said the club's drafting had the wrong focus.

"Their problem is that they haven't got a key-position player, yet they had the chance to take Lance Franklin," he said.

"When they took Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling (ahead of Franklin) at the draft (in 2004) they paraded them proudly at (then-president) Clinton Casey's place. They will be OK, but you have got to have key position players as your main target.

"They haven't got the right players to play the right style. Think of Franklin, Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Warren Tredrea. We haven't got anyone like that. Then they get rid of Darren Gaspar last week and have no one to replace him.

"It's just been unplanned as far as I'm concerned and it's been coming for a while. Unfortunately, they have got to start from scratch again.

"I'm glad I'm over here. I can hide. Tommy Hafey lost a Grand Final in 1972 and he wasn't sighted for two weeks. I wonder how he'd cope if we got beaten by 157 points in a roster game? I know GR (Richmond) would be making a lot of noise upstairs."

northery says
Having played there and coached them, you feel a bit disgusted actually. You used to never see those sort of displays from a Richmond team," he said.

"Terry Wallace has had them for nearly three years so to put on a performance like that is disgraceful.

"I didn't see all the game but I saw a few things on the field that told me the attitude was: 'it doesn't matter anyhow.'

"It's embarrassing for people like me, and our members, for them to capitulate like that."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

scary isnt it

i have said it before that deledio was the wrong pick but we cant change that. but what we can change is who is sinking our ship.

eroyce hart has it all worked out, miller and wallce are accountable and both shoul dbe sacked, they have picked the wrong players and have the wrong game plan if tehy have one.

jackstar has been right all along

sack wallace now and bring in northey as interim coach and next yr have knights coaching us with northey his assistant and mentor. northey always had us ready pumped and fighting for each game up until mal brown destroyed him

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:34 AM »
 Quote     ".......up until mal brown destroyed him"

As I have posted previously, please don't re-write history.

Northey had a year left to run on his contract. He was on relatively small money. Brisbane offered him lots more to break his contract and he did. He would have stayed if RFC had matched the offer and extended his term but the board was not prepared to be blackmailed. Brown was just one of the messengers, it was not his call or his fault, it was all down to Northey.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »
mal is an a hole, if he really loved richmond like he pretends he did, why did he tell his son to stay far away from us as possible.

gees what we would do to have a player luike campbell brown in our team, tough hard never takes a backward step!!!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:04:05 PM »
This is all BS!!! Its like being lectured by bunch of reformed alcoholics on giving up the grog whilst your lying in the gutter covered in vomit. >:( >:(
Its so easy to criticise from where they sit in their comfy little Dawson chairs slurping on vegetable puree. Sure the've been there done that and were great in their time but that time has passed. If they want to provide comment they should do it constructively by paying a visit to the club and telling the boys in private, not publicly ridicule them.
FFS ex players, get of your ar$es and make your point face to face with the players rather than bandy about useless comments for shock value in the media.  >:(

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
I'm devastated too, Royce. About the loss on Sunday.
Now I'm also bemused and confused that, arguably, Richmond's greatest ever player and, arguably, Footscray's worst ever coach feels he's in a position to sink the slipper into the club about its processes instead of sticking to the one horrible game.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
l'm too afraid of asking my nextdoor neighbour about his thoughts of Sunday's game
He might give me some old tiger treatment being his from the Jack Dyer days
l dont want any back handers from the big fella

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
This is all BS!!! Its like being lectured by bunch of reformed alcoholics on giving up the grog whilst your lying in the gutter covered in vomit. >:( >:(
Its so easy to criticise from where they sit in their comfy little Dawson chairs slurping on vegetable puree. Sure the've been there done that and were great in their time but that time has passed. If they want to provide comment they should do it constructively by paying a visit to the club and telling the boys in private, not publicly ridicule them.
FFS ex players, get of your ar$es and make your point face to face with the players rather than bandy about useless comments for shock value in the media.  >:(

Spot on Tiga

Sick and Tired of losing in a humiliating manner just like the rest of us, but for our past greats to publicly bag the club instead of getting off their backsides and going down to the club is a weak effort.

You cant tell me Richmond wouldnt accomodate someone like Royce Hart back to the club to speak with the youngsters about Richmond and how upsetting it is to see the tigers get smashed the way they did and how it impacts everyone who loves the yellow and black.

Too many people know whats wrong but have no solutions.

There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »

Spot on Tiga

Sick and Tired of losing in a humiliating manner just like the rest of us, but for our past greats to publicly bag the club instead of getting off their backsides and going down to the club is a weak effort.

You cant tell me Richmond wouldnt accomodate someone like Royce Hart back to the club to speak with the youngsters about Richmond and how upsetting it is to see the tigers get smashed the way they did and how it impacts everyone who loves the yellow and black.

Too many people know whats wrong but have no solutions.

Agree tiga and PRR. We have a system of ex-players as personal mentors. That would be more constructive.

Some of these legends forget their own coaching record. Northey oversaw two 100+ hidings to Adelaide in 1993, Hart as FF said will go down as one of the worst VFL/AFL coaches ever at Footscray, Jewell returned to coach a wooden spoon side, etc... We've been crap for 25 years and this bagging of our own in the media is one reason for it. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »
mal is an a hole, if he really loved richmond like he pretends he did, why did he tell his son to stay far away from us as possible.

gees what we would do to have a player luike campbell brown in our team, tough hard never takes a backward step!!!
I think even mal brown could see what a circus we were xXx as did cloke with his three sons...i know i know lets be happy that we didnt get any clokes but my point being that there is a good chance that a few players in the system  have been told not to come anywhere near us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
Very easy to take pot shots from the cheap seats  ::)

Northey as interim coach  :gobdrop

Give me a break

Might as well bring back Danny :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Life goes on

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:06:11 PM »
Tell you all one thing, I love to see someone who can put a bit of YELLOW and BLACK passion back into the club.
I havent got the answer either, Matty Knights perhaps.
At least he did bleed yellow and black

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
Matty had an ordinary time at Port Magpies and he would still need to do a full assistant coach's role or two at an AFL club (that is not being left to coach the VFL side). He needs to be part of a successful AFL club which he hasn't had at Richmond and now at Essendon.

Might as well bring back Danny :banghead
I wouldn't go that far  :help :lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers hope in recruiting - Rex
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:46:43 PM »
REX ADVISES
Tigers hope in recruiting
Mx
Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Dual Tigers premiership player Rex Hunt says Richmond is at least five elite players away from being a top-eight side.

Hunt, who played 113 games for the Tigers, said Richmond's endeavour in the 157-point loss to Geelong on Sunday couldn't be questioned.

“They were trying their hardest but we just didn't have the cattle on the field," he said.

"If you incorporated Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Daniel Kerr and big Quinten Lynch in the side, and put them around our young crop of players, we would be in the top eight, it's as simple as that"

Hunt said the responsibility in rejuvenating the club now rested with recruiting staff.

“They need to go out there and find the best young talent going around and turn the place around," he said.

Ramps

Re: Tigers hope in recruiting - Rex
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
REX ADVISES
Tigers hope in recruiting
Mx
Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Dual Tigers premiership player Rex Hunt says Richmond is at least five elite players away from being a top-eight side.

Hunt, who played 113 games for the Tigers, said Richmond's endeavour in the 157-point loss to Geelong on Sunday couldn't be questioned.

“They were trying their hardest but we just didn't have the cattle on the field," he said.

"If you incorporated Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Daniel Kerr and big Quinten Lynch in the side, and put them around our young crop of players, we would be in the top eight, it's as simple as that"

Hunt said the responsibility in rejuvenating the club now rested with recruiting staff.

“They need to go out there and find the best young talent going around and turn the place around," he said.

Rex is correct on this. I was actually thinking about this yesterday. We have to find 4 or 5 top quality - 23 and 24 year olds who can help the kids.