Author Topic: Press Conference called at Hawthorn - Schwab  (Read 2188 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Press Conference called at Hawthorn - Schwab
« on: July 21, 2004, 03:02:59 PM »
Hawthorn have called a press conference for this afternoon.

It was supposed to be 2.30pm but has been changed

Schwab is tipped to quit.

All the more reason to not go through with this bloody petition -

Sign Wallace NOW
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Press Conference called at Hawthorn - Schwab
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »
The end for Schwab?
Wednesday 21 July 2004
Luke Buttigieg
Sportal
Speculation is mounting that Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab will part company with the club on Wednesday afternoon.

Sources have told Sportal that Schwab and the Hawks will sever their ties, with an announcement tipped for Wednesday afternoon, but it remains unclear whether the decision will come into effect immediately or if Schwab will coach out the season.

With a year left to run on his contract with the club, Schwab has said several times he plans to honour that deal, and president Ian Dicker has pledged his loyalty to Schwab until the end of the season.

If Schwab does go at the end of 2004, former Hawk players Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade - who have been linked to the vacancy that will exist at Richmond - and Gary Ayres will be among those expected to contend for the position.

Schwab has coached the Hawks since 2000 and took them to the finals in 2000 and 2001. In 108 games as coach so far, he led the side to 52 wins, but 2004 has been a disaster, with just two wins from 16 games.

At the start of the season, he declared the Hawks would contend for the premiership.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=printerfriendly&spg=default&articleid=161413
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 03:24:12 PM »
We are doomed.....the minute this is officially announced then what immediately happens is that Wallace says I will sit and listen to the Hawks as well.

Unlike Dicker, Casey has decided to STABILISE this club before assigning a coach. Had he worried abuot a coach first we would not have this dilemna. All the more reason why this petition should be placed in one place and one place only.

GET WALLACE NOW!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 04:26:42 PM »
stuff these carnts !!

First they take the first pick and now they're gonna take the coach from us.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:59:48 PM »
We are doomed.....the minute this is officially announced then what immediately happens is that Wallace says I will sit and listen to the Hawks as well.

Wallace has said that he will wait till the end of the season to see what jobs are available.  And he’s not going to take just any job just for the sake of getting a coaching role.  He actually seems to be prepared to sit out of coaching until the right job comes along.

So even if Richmond, or any other Club, offers him a job now, it’s very doubtful that he would make a decision before season’s end.

I’m not as convinced as others that Richmond is all that high on his agenda of teams to coach, anyway (not that I’d really know or anything).  But we’re only marginally better placed than the Bulldogs at the moment – the Club he left because of a lack of available resources.  Plus there’s a few other factors to deal with.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 11:55:05 PM »
Add to all this Rhode is on very shakey ground at the bulldogs.

The irony of Schwab sacking is that Wallace, Eade and Ayres are all ex-Hawthorn players. It would be only natural for all of them to have a soft spot for the Hawks' job. Although that wasn't the case with us and Sheedy  :-\.

Sports Tonight just showed Wallace's interview on fox footy. He said he wants to go to a club where he needed to kick the door down. Hey Terry our door's been jammed for 24 years!  ;)

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd