Author Topic: What were your thoughts when Wallace initially came to Tigerland  (Read 2389 times)

Bulluss

Its interesting this week with all of the talk about where the Tigers are at almost half way through Wallace's contract. I would like to know what everyone thought Wallace would bring to Punt Road and if or how far away they are from reaching those goals.

For me;

I seen Wallace at the Bulldogs as someone who was a master tactian, hard on the players but someone who also gained the respect from them for his hardness, someone with great passion, wouldnt accept second best and would gain the best out of players and make them reach a new level.

I know that our list was in a bad way and there was lots of work to do, but the excitement that i had about Wallace being someone of passion and hardness has disolved and i no longer think he has those attributes.

I dont know if his heart isnt in the job or whether he would rather be someone else.

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this.

What did you initially think Terry would bring and did he do that?

:gotigers

Life goes on

Re: What were your thoughts when Wallace initially came to Tigerland
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:22:46 PM »
That he was a great tactically, I know thats not the case now.
Would think he overdoes the crap like CRUNCH BALL and things like Tempo footy etc.
Also , he doesnt admit to being accountable.

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
Honestly I was just glad Spud was gone lol  :lol

I never really paid attention to Wallace when he was at the Bulldogs, but going on media reports from when he was announced as coach, I thought "Thank god, we are going to go somewhere"
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
i was rapped when we got terry
thought we finally got a man to lead this club and coach with passion and fury, like we saw in year of the dog.
thought we gained a tactical genius and a coach that would make every player accountable

at this stage i must say i was so wrong, terry has been the exact opposite of what i thought. he at least has 2.5 more yrs to make me eat humble pie

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
Honestly I was just glad Spud was gone lol  :lol
Me too  :rollin.

At the Dogs I thought Wallace got the best out a team of a couple of stars within an ordinary group. They choked in the last quarter of the first PF and that seem to scar them mentally in subsequent finals as the were bundled out fairly easily. I thought as they went along they relied more on dirty tactics (mostly from Libba and Ramero) to often suck in their opponents and literally pinch and scratch wins but their younger players were highly skilled by foot. The latter was what I was looking forward to the most when Plough and Royal first arrived. The Dogs lacked size and quality talls so I was hoping Terry learnt his lesson there.   

As for us, given what happened in 2004, I was expecting 2005 to be a total write-off with 2006 not far behind because we had brought in kids who would take at least 3-4 years to show anything. After that we would slowly move up with a possible finals appearance around 2008-9. I was also expecting it to take the whole 5 years of Terry's contract to put our list back into balance given the dire mess Spud left it in.

I wasn't expecting surprise improvements from Petts, Tuck and others plus a on fire Browny and Richo in Terry's triangle scoring us so many wins early on with a good run with injuries against mediocre opponents and fallen powers Port and Brisbane. In hindsight those early wins hurt us come 2005 draft time. A Murphy, Thomas or two of those top 6 picks (including priority pick under the old way) would now be what we need.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:10:37 PM »
It's funny I wasn't expecting much in 2005 considering where we were coming from after 2004.

Therefore, 2005 exceeded my expectations and perhaps by default made my expectations for 2006 unrealistic. I saw 2006 as a season that we wasted a massive chance for our kids to experience finals footy because I still believe we should have played finals last season but for the results of couple of games that cost us.

Again I will admit that with the results of 2005 & 2006 I thought we'd see further improvement. thought we were areal show for the finals in 2007 but clearly now that's not the case. So I have resigned myself to poor year that will more than likely give us the opportunity to set up for the future, subject to drafting the very best players we can.

When Tezza was appointed I expected to see a number of players improve because he has allowed his teams to play with some flair something we dind't have any of in 2004. Two and half years in and I've been surprised with some opf those who have improved eg Raines & Foley not because they have improved but because how quickly they've improved. Other's who I thought would improve haven't and that's disappointing.

I also expected some one who would be able to market our Club to the wider footy community because it desperately needed to be done and I reckon he has done that.

I don't think our list is as bad as the media is making out - I reckon the kids we've got are good but the missing group of 24-25y.o's is really biting us now
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:39:21 AM »
I think the twinkle has gone from Terry's eye.

Some of it disappeared the night his mate Browny broke his leg and a little more has gone this season with Nathan's continual setbacks.

There are plenty of reasons that we find ourselves in this position but Wallace can't be excused from our performances this year.

He's under the pump and the decisions made in the past fortnight indicate that he recognises that he's running out of time.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
It's funny I wasn't expecting much in 2005 considering where we were coming from after 2004.

Therefore, 2005 exceeded my expectations and perhaps by default made my expectations for 2006 unrealistic. I saw 2006 as a season that we wasted a massive chance for our kids to experience finals footy because I still believe we should have played finals last season but for the results of couple of games that cost us.

Again I will admit that with the results of 2005 & 2006 I thought we'd see further improvement. thought we were areal show for the finals in 2007 but clearly now that's not the case. So I have resigned myself to poor year that will more than likely give us the opportunity to set up for the future, subject to drafting the very best players we can.

When Tezza was appointed I expected to see a number of players improve because he has allowed his teams to play with some flair something we dind't have any of in 2004. Two and half years in and I've been surprised with some opf those who have improved eg Raines & Foley not because they have improved but because how quickly they've improved. Other's who I thought would improve haven't and that's disappointing.

I also expected some one who would be able to market our Club to the wider footy community because it desperately needed to be done and I reckon he has done that.

I don't think our list is as bad as the media is making out - I reckon the kids we've got are good but the missing group of 24-25y.o's is really biting us now
My thoughts exactly, WP.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »
Pretty much the sentiments echoed by everybody else.
Did not have much initial expectation in 05 but I thought Terry had a pretty
good footy brain was innovative and would eventually get us out of that rut.
Plus I was extremely happy to see the end of Frawley's tenure.
Right now The Hopkinsville Goblin is bereft of ideas with a playing staff that he has
got playing chip chip footy in order to minimise the game day damage on the scoreboard.
Well for the first 5 games anyway. He obviously has no faith in the team and therefore
has implemented this game plan. If anything results wise we are where we were under Spud. Only difference is hopefully the paln that comes in place albeit 2 years to late will come to fruition in the ensuing seasons.

2JD

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:58 PM »
I didnt want him to come, I didnt like the way he coached the Bulldogs, i didnt like his attitude and i didnt like the way people grovelled to him like he was our saviour.....But....thats all personal and I know we didnt want another 'great bloke' coaching us, I wouldnt mind his arrogance so much if he's as good as he thinks he is.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »
thought he was a pr!ck and an egomaniac who was self centered and only intersted in money.

Basically the opposite of every top bloke the tigers had coach them since and including KB

I thought he had a real visions and a STYLE OF PLAY HE WANTS to play.

Hopefully being the pr!ck he is he makes the hard decisions ( which he has IMHO ) hopefully he keeps doing that and he leaves the club in a better position than when he got there.

I expect that there is a very little chance that Wallet will see returns from his hard work at the tigers, he will get the ar$e or get managed out, whichever you prefer. The next coach of the tigers is the important one, thats the one that will have the best chance of wining a premiership than any one ahas had in the last 30 years.

hopefully wallet stays motivated and more importantantly keeps making long term decisions every time. CHasing Judd or Riewalt would be a disaster and set us back another 3 yaers IMHO. Also we need to retire Nthan Brown. He is finished, you cant afford to ahve 500k sitting on the sidelines, harsh but true!

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:06:25 PM »
Frankly I wasn't very happy with the appointment. I didn't like the way the dogs played and the way he was with the media.

But I know that we (well most of us) are outside the actual clubs and realy don't know what goes on behind the scences. We have to trust that those in charge know what they are doing. Being a long term Tiger man that trust has been streched a long way but there is nothing else one can realy do. I hope and hope like hell that one day we can get it right but the Miller and Wallace combo just doesn't really seem to be the answer.

Anyway I wore my OER tshirt to the Gym this morning and I do believe it wasn't the only black and yellow tshirt that has been sweaty this week. Nor should it be.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
Have they got a Gym at 'yarra' now fluffy?

Bulluss

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 09:32:52 PM »
BUMP.

Was listening to the game on the radio tonight as i drove home from the coast.

One thing that excited me when we signed up Wallace and Royal was that our skill level would improve and become top notch.

It was evident today that this is a long way off happening and our skill level & decision making really cost us big time today. There must have been atleast 8 goals to Freo which came as a direct result of our turnover.  :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
Kicking and decision making under pressure is where we hurt ourselves the most. Most AFL players can hit a target regularly at training or when front running but the best are those whose kicking doesn't fall away greatly under pressure. We have too many players whose kicking falls away badly under pressure on top of those who are just unreliable kicks due to poor technique.

When we were running Freo off their legs early and they couldn't put much pressure on us, we were fairly clean with our disposal. We played much better today than the past two weeks against Essendon and especially Brisbane which was shocking. As the game went on today and the game went up a level, we couldn't handle the pressure both with our disposal and decision making as Freo did.  

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd