Author Topic: NAB AFL U18 National Championships 2007  (Read 28586 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: NAB AFL U18 National Championships 2007
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2007, 02:07:17 AM »
Teens start to spark their Territory
Emma Quayle | July 6, 2007 | The Age

MARLON Motlop's season has not stuck to the script.

The Darwin teenager had hoped to spend three or four weeks in Adelaide this year, preparing for the under-18 championships in games played at a faster pace than he was used to.

Motlop went there almost straight after he returned from the AIS-AFL Academy trip to South Africa. But after playing his first game for the North Adelaide under 17s, he had to turn around.

"I played one game and that was it. My back got really sore, and it turned out I had stress fractures," said Motlop, who has four cousins and a brother, Thomas, on the North Adelaide list.

"I was looking forward to it. I thought it would help me get ready for the championships, and it would have been good to play footy with my cousins down there.

"I've had to do a bit of rehab and it's been frustrating. I haven't been playing as well as I've wanted, but it's been good just to get out there."

Motlop played his second match in more than two months yesterday, kicking two goals for the Northern Territory and setting up a third for teammate Peter Rolfe midway through a very wet final quarter on a sodden Skilled Stadium.

After another teammate, Paul Campbell, soccered the ball deep into the forward line, Motlop pressed back against his opponent and poked his toe at the ball. It bobbed up into the path of Rolfe, who put a third consecutive soccer kick through the goals.

The Territory boys, well beaten by NSW/ACT in the first round of the championships, responded with a 45-point win over Tasmania. Austin Wonaeamirri and Cyril Rioli were among their best players, while potential first-round pick Tom Collier playing very well for Tasmania.

The NSW/ACT team beat Queensland by 62 points in the second match, the Queenslanders winless after their first two games and out of the running to win consecutive championships.

Alan McConnell coached Motlop through the Academy program and believes his bright mind and sharper skills will appeal at draft time.

"He's got exceptional skill. He's a one-touch player, he's got lovely balance, a good sidestep and great awareness," McConnell said.

"He was the best decision-maker in the testing we did at the AIS and that's a big plus, but one of the things Marlon probably needs to work on is his decision-making around transitions, and his ability to work both ways.

"At this stage, when the ball leaves his space he tends to stop and watch, or wait for the next possession rather than find his man when he can't influence the play. There's a bit of work to do there, but that's not unusual for boys who are at the top of the tree in junior footy. He certainly has some talent."

Motlop, a cousin of Daniel and Shannon Motlop, has new plans. He was happier yesterday than he was after his first game of the championships and knows what he wants to work on through the rest of the year.

"I want to become a really hard runner, just do all the gut-busting running and break the lines," he said. "That's probably it, and just the in-close work. I want to make sure I get my hands on the ball."

Today's second-round division one games have been switched to Princes Park to prevent Skilled Stadium becoming more of a mudpit.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/teens-start-to-spark-their-territory/2007/07/05/1183351375976.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
U18 Champs - WA downs Vic Country; Vic Metro too good for SA
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »
Western Australia 9.14 (68) d Victoria Country 3.7 (25)

Goals: Western Australia : Masten 2, Morton 2, Ellard 2, Palmer, Garlett, Yarran
Victoria Country: Hobbs, McKenna, Bell

Best: Western Australia: Palmer, Masten, Morton, Rich, Myers, Rance
Victoria Country: Hockey, Austin, Selwood, Suban, Hobbs

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/wa-downs-vic-country-30456

==============

Vic Metro     4.2    5.3    7.5    7.6-48
South Aust  0.2    1.3    2.4    3.5-23

Ramps

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2007, 04:56:45 PM »
Im a big fan of Morton, Rance and Myers. Hope that atleast 1 comes to tigerland.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 05:10:21 PM »
Just got back from a freezing, wet and muddy Princes Park after watching Vic Metro knock off a very disappointing SA. The croweaters just couldn't handle the wet conditions especially in the first half when they could only manage one goal. A hard game to judge in terms of draftees as you rarely get these poor conditions in the AFL now so I'll put my novice thoughts down.

Vic Metro:

Potts - kicked 4 goals from the wing. It looked like he was on Greenwood.

Farmer - was the surprise packet today in a back pocket/small rebounding defender role. Totally dominated back there and got a heap of it.

Kreuzer - played ruck rover and occasionally forward for the first 3 quarters and then in the ruck in the last. For a 199cm kid he is extremely mobile as shown by the couple of smothers he had today. It wasn't a day big blokes but the Vic Metro coach and a number of watchers were raving about his game today. I still think he'll take time to develop for AFL. I still would lile to see him on a dry day to judge his foot skills.

Cotchin - Played across HB today and lived up to his high ranking. Skill level is very good. Very clean even in wet conditions when the footy to most of the others was like a cake of soap. One time he picked the ball off his toes, spun around to break a tackle and hit his teammate lace out by foot. He made one bad mistake kicking across goal straight to a SA player but that was the only thing you could criticize him on today. As for RFC needs he isn't a inside midfielder. Well at least today he wasn't used in the guts. If you were to compare him you would say he was more a Lids type although not as tall (184cm).

De Bruin - will probably be named in the bests as he was a good player for Metro and played in the middle but he has no right foot.

Polkinghorne - Was tagged today. Did okay but IMO nothing to write home about. Appears to be one of these kids who reputations precedes him going by the people watching him today.

Maric - Had 2 goals (clever snaps) to quarter time but I didn't notice him much after that.

Others in Metro's bests - Hurley at FB, Croft, Otten and Simpson. 

South Australia

Tom Holmes - in the middle was probably SA's best player. Got a fair bit of it, looked a decent kick and kicked their first goal. Hard to find other SA players who stood out. Ebert has very good and clean skills but didn't do much. Mostly played in front of his opponent and on the bounce dished off handballs to teammates running past. Likewise other South Aussies who are rated like Hartlett, McNamara and Millar. As mentioned Greenwood looked to have 4 kicked on him although I'm not 100% sure he was on Potts all game. 

I didn't see the WA vs Vic Country game but I asked someone who did and they said WA is a very good side. Cale Morton stood out clearly again. He must be close to one of first picked based on his U18 champs. Palmer was good again also. The WA names  listed by Sportal pretty much agreed with this bloke although he liked Garlett as well. For Vic Country, this blokes best players were McKenna and Selwood.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
Im a big fan of Morton, Rance and Myers. Hope that atleast 1 comes to tigerland.
I asked about Rance and apparently he had a very good last quarter rebounding out of defence.

The last round is on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get to see Morton and WA in the flesh against SA. On today's form WA would beat SA by 10 goals.

Ramps

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2007, 05:22:38 PM »
I rang a couple of people who went, i couldnt go although i wanted to. they confirmed that we shouldnt be drafting really past round 3. Because this draft seems poor we need to get the priority pick at 17. Stick to the WA Boys. I want Rance at Richmond coz i see him as a full back going forward, myers is ok as well. If we got them at 17 & 18 Id be rapt. Morton or Kreuzer is the decision at our 1st pick for mine. We need to get a ruckman in the PSD.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
I rang a couple of people who went, i couldnt go although i wanted to. they confirmed that we shouldnt be drafting really past round 3. Because this draft seems poor we need to get the priority pick at 17. Stick to the WA Boys. I want Rance at Richmond coz i see him as a full back going forward, myers is ok as well. If we got them at 17 & 18 Id be rapt. Morton or Kreuzer is the decision at our 1st pick for mine. We need to get a ruckman in the PSD.
I would agree with that assessment Ramps. So would a Hawthorn scout I spoke to who was bored by half-time. It was wet conditions so maybe I'm being harsh but I was expecting a higher standard from the best kids in the country than what I saw today. What it says to me is we must keep our PP so we get the maximum we can out of this draft.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Champs - WA downs Vic Country; Vic Metro too good for SA
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »
Vic Metro     4.2    5.3    7.5    7.6-48
South Aust  0.2    1.3    2.4    3.5-23

Goals: 
Victoria Metro : Potts 4, De Bruin, Maric, Grant. 
South Australia : Holmes, Staple, White.

Best:
Victoria Metro: Potts, Polkinghorne, Otten, Cotchin, Farmer, De Bruin.
South Australia: Ebert, Hartlett, Murphy, Fairclough, McNamara.

Sportal Match Report at: http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/vic-metro-holds-on-against-sa-30468

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
the quality of this year's draft certainly does drop away after about the top 25 or thereabouts. If we get a PP we will in the box seat for this year's draft  :thumbsup

ATM I'm leaning more towards Kreuzer at one (mainly cos I can't see McEvoy dropping)
If Carlton and Melbourne snare picks ahead of us then I'd like Morton or Ebert
And assuming we get a PP, I'd like Henderson and Rance, get some more quality talls

Also seriously considering laying off Schulz or Meyers, bundle them up with a 3rd rd pick and try and grab another first rounder

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
James Polkinghorne (Vic Metro) article
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2007, 02:40:16 AM »

Fearless Polkinghorne in Hawkish mood
07 July 2007   Herald Sun
Gareth Trickey

A BRIEF flirtation with volleyball has proved rewarding for Calder Cannons midfielder James Polkinghorne.

The 18-year-old son of former Hawthorn player Robert Polkinghorne and nephew of Hawks star David Polkinghorne, he has a remarkable ability to launch his 82kg frame over packs and snatch the ball out of thin air with the grace of a professional spiker.

His fearlessness around the packs has also caught the eye of national selectors at the national under-18 championships.

Polkinghorne picked up 18 possessions for Victoria Metro in last week's game against Western Australia and finished with 18 possessions yesterday against South Australia at Princes Park.

"The leaping and timing of my jump in volleyball has definitely carried across to my football game," Polkinghorne said.

"I played for three or four years with St Bernard's College and made the under-15 Victorian schoolboy side, but as football became more demanding I had to follow my passion and veer away from volleyball."

Polkinghorne missed a large chunk of last season because of osteitis pubis.

But the 181cm Strathmore teenager has returned from a rigorous pre-season to average 24 possessions this year.

Talk of playing for Hawthorn is inevitable when your father and uncle have left their mark at the club.

"Dad's been a really good influence and has tried to direct me in the right direction," Polkinghorne said.

"He tells me to just try and keep level-headed about it all and stay focused."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22030766%255E19897,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
U18 Champs could be moved to the Dome next week
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:32 AM »

Running hot: Rhys Palmer in action yesterday. Picture: Norm Oorloff

Push to move TAC matches to Dome
07 July 2007   Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

NORMALLY it's who's the next Chris Judd but the main talking point at yesterday's second round of the national under-18 championships was actually the Telstra Dome.

More specifically, why can't we showcase the best young talent in the land on the perfect track indoors at the Dome?

After Wednesday's near flood in Geelong which saw yesterday's games moved to Princes Park, the recruiters were already edgy.

That soon turned to anger when, the minute Vic Metro ran on to the ground for game two, it started pouring rain.

While it's always good to see if players can handle the wet, the clubs fear they will turn up next week for the final games and get another muddy slog that won't shed any more light on the kids' abilities.

"It's ridiculous," one recruiter said. "We should be at Telstra Dome because these are the potential stars of our competition and they should be on show in the best conditions available.

"It's no good for us if we roll up here again next week and see this again."

Last night, the AFL's general manager of national and international game development, David Matthews, was seeking Telstra Dome boss Ian Collins in the hope of switching at least next Wednesday's Division One games. They will also discuss locking in one or two games at the stadium next year.

While the weather took up much of the discussion, the performance of Western Australia and potential No. 1 Matthew Kreuzer was also a talking point.

WA, which didn't win a game last year, is on track to win its first national title since 1999 after it made it two from two, easily defeating Vic Country.

The standout player was East Fremantle midfielder Rhys Palmer, who collected 36 touches and kicked one goal yesterday after bagging five from 35 possessions in Perth last week against Vic Metro. He has now gone from a late first-round draft pick to a possible top 10.

"Everyone likes a player who can play in all conditions, the mental strength to play the game for what it's worth anywhere," WA coach Gerard McNeill said.

Others to impress included Cale Morton, the brother of West Coast's Mitch, East Fremantle midfielder Chris Masten, full-back Alex Rance, the son of Footscray and West Coast player Murray, and Fijian-born ruckman Nicholas Naitanui, who is too young for this year's draft but will be hot property in 12 months time.

Kreuzer, who led Vic Metro to a comfortable victory over South Australia, showed he can do it in any conditions. Playing as a ruck-rover despite standing 199cm, he threw himself everywhere, smothering and doing all the one-percenters which gladden recruiters hearts.

His Metro teammate Trent Cotchin, who is expected to go No. 2, fought back after a quiet opening game in the championships to show his class.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22031058%255E19897,00.html

Ramps

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2007, 09:42:05 AM »
picture of palmer looks like he was taking the pisse.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »
picture of palmer looks like he was taking the peee.

certainly wasn't a flattering picture  :lol

Ramps

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
picture of palmer looks like he was taking the peee.

certainly wasn't a flattering picture  :lol

It reminds me of a scene of a 16 or 17 year old whose seen a footy go over the fence at a junior game like under 12s somewhere - and instead of kicking it back decides to take it home lol... he'll go top 10 Palmer but it shows this draft aint no draft where you want to be pick past 25 or 30 or in our case 34.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: U18 Champs could be moved to the Dome next week
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »
"It's ridiculous," one recruiter said. "We should be at Telstra Dome because these are the potential stars of our competition and they should be on show in the best conditions available.

"It's no good for us if we roll up here again next week and see this again."

:nopity
Best conditions for the players or recruiters?
If you want the best it's the MCG. You'll still get your blanket and thermos wet watching from the fence.
"Everyone likes a player who can play in all conditions, the mental strength to play the game for what it's worth anywhere," WA coach Gerard McNeill said.
He should point that out to the whining soft*** recruiter. They played on a hard, dry surface last week.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott