Author Topic: Casey offers early election for stability  (Read 3942 times)

Offline gustiger12

• Tiger Rookie
  • unleash the passion
Casey offers early election for stability
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:53:08 AM »
www.news.com.au 

Email this report
Print this report
Subscribe to Sportsmail

Casey offers poll deal
By Mike Sheahan
July 23, 2004

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey has offered to go to election 12 months early in a bid to bring peace to Punt Rd.

Casey told the Herald Sun yesterday he would put his fate in the hands of the members next summer if the forces plotting against him abandoned a push for a spill of the board in the next few weeks.

"I am prepared to offer myself up for re-election at the appropriate time, which is at our annual general meeting at the end of the year (January)," he said.

He isn't due to seek re-election until the 2005 annual meeting.

"To those out there at the moment with a view to forcing an extraordinary general meeting, I'm saying now's not the right time. We need a period of stability. Let's wait until the annual general meeting."

Casey said the instability that has engulfed Richmond in recent months had become a major impediment in the search for a coach to replace Danny Frawley after the current season.

The issue has become even more urgent since Hawthorn joined the race for a coach, more specifically an experienced coach.

"It's affecting our recruiting of players and it's certainly affecting our ability to get the best coach," Casey said.

"This is just a critical period for the club and we can't afford to display the instability that's currently surrounding the club," Casey said.

He said Richmond director of football Greg Miller needed a stable environment if he was to restructure the club as quickly as possible.

"Greg's ambition is to rebuild the whole football club. He can't do that in the environment that currently exists. So anything that's going to create stability, (he's) going to be in favour of.

"For him to be able to get the best coach and recruit the best players, like he did last year with Nathan Brown – we would never have got Nathan Brown last year had we been in the turmoil that we're in this year – he needs a stable environment.

"What manager is going to recommend the Richmond Football Club (to his player) with the instability from the outside that currently exists?

"It's raised at every meeting, but it's of particular concern to the applicants that we're probably the most interested in (Read Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade)."

Casey said he believed the two people known to be agitating for a spill – former board member Brendan Schwab and supporter Michael Pahoff – were driven by personal issues.

He said his offer to put his board seat at risk 12 months earlier than required should satisfy both Schwab and Pahoff if they were genuinely interested in the long-term welfare of the club.

Sponsorship is another area at risk, with the club's two major backers – the TAC and Motorola – both out of contract later this year.

Asked if developments at Hawthorn had stung him into action, Casey said: "With Hawthorn saying that they're looking for an experienced coach, I think that's certainly put more competition into the market place.

"When we were last in this market place (1999-2000), we couldn't attract the best coach because of instability, and it's happening to us again, and the club can't afford it."

The Leon Daphne administration of 1999 failed in a bold bid to lure Kevin Sheedy to Punt Road, then was rejected by Michael Malthouse and Mark Thompson before picking Frawley ahead of Tony Elshaug and Brian Royal.

Casey said he and his board had learnt several lessons during five years.

"There's been some mistakes made, but we're in the process of correcting those and those same mistakes will not be made again."

Casey said a decision on the coaching job would be made as soon as possible, probably within 2-3 weeks.

Ox

Re: Casey offers early election for stability
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:03:45 AM »
Sorry Froars but im beginning to side with Casey  :gobdrop

If the above article is correct then he's doing the right thing by the club.

With Tiny Tim circling the board like a kosher vulture we are slowly losing any reputation
of stability that we had built by keeping the imbicile as coach for 5 years.

If Clint has offered is true
"I am prepared to offer myself up for re-election at the appropriate time, which is at our annual general meeting at the end of the year (January

then i see it as a clever and honest comeback to Michael Hapooffs gutless attempt at opening doors to change.

He's already put up 2 mill out of his own sky-rocket so wouldnt u think he'd have some kind of genuine financial intrest in the well being of the club.?

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 08:27:37 AM »
Spot on Ox.

As i have already posted about Casey, he is putting the clubs interests to the fore again and i have to support him for this. How many times can he tell that Moron Pahoff that he wants the best thing for the club. Surely he has to back off now and let the club do what it HAS to do.

I bet this moron hasnt got the balls to show up at the games for the next weeks otherwise he would get abused or belted up.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 09:54:40 AM »
Casey will be on SEN, with KB, just after 10.00am this morning.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 10:11:27 AM »
I don't trust Casey - never have, never will.
Is he going to just put himself up for re-election or will there be a spill of all board positions?
He talks about stability of the club - him and his board are the ppl who have caused the instability - not supporters, although we seem to cop abuse when things go wrong.  We're just react when everything goes balls up - like every second week  >:(
I don't like what Pahoff's doing either only because he seems to have no idea what he's doing.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 10:51:48 AM »
the opposing ticket as it stands now i dont think would defeat caseys team. the opposing ticket needs a figurehead with loads of moolah...they need to come in and say...heres $2 million, we'll cover this years loss. as things stand, i dont think schwab has that ticket!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 10:57:10 AM »
Tigers' Casey ready to face members next year
By Caroline Wilson
July 23, 2004

Richmond president Clinton Casey has said he will face the Tiger members at the start of next year in a bid for stability at the club as it seeks to find a replacement for coach Danny Frawley.

While Casey is only halfway through his term as president of the club, his compromised decision has come following the sacking of Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab and the fear among the coaching sub-committee that it could miss out on its preferred choice because of a potential leadership challenge.

Richmond's board elections are scheduled for January at the club's annual meeting with three directors due for re-election.

Casey has added his own name to the re-election ticket in an attempt to demonstrate his preparedness to leave the club if a viable alternative for president emerges.

With rebel member Michael Pahoff threatening to force an extraordinary general meeting next Tuesday with the 100 signatures he has collected from members, and a ticket led by Brendan Schwab also preparing a challenge early next week, Casey's compromise appears to be his last bid for stability until early next year.

Football boss Greg Miller said at the start of this week that he feared Richmond could miss out on its desired choice of coach because of the explosive atmosphere around the club and the board's lack of security.

The Tigers have employed the services of premiership coach David Parkin to help head up their search for a coach and Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade have both been interviewed at Parkin's home.

But Wallace is high on Hawthorn's list of coaching priorities and Eade cannot be discounted at the Hawks given his reputation and playing history with the club.

The Schwab ticket - which includes former player Bryan Wood, former club director and premiership player Peter Welsh, TAC executive Colin Radford, and liquidator and former Richmond director Michael Humphris - is expected to confront Casey over the next week.

Schwab's challenge is understood to have been delayed by his insistence upon assembling the right candidates.

Last night, multi-millionaire mobile phone entrepreneur "Crazy" John Ilhan said that he would seriously consider joining the Schwab ticket.

Speaking on SEN radio station, Ilhan, a life-long Tigers fan, said that he was disappointed with the present board, which he said had approached him "a couple of years ago" about taking up a role at the club but had never followed up its approach.

"I've always loved Richmond and it disappoints me to see what they're going through," Ilhan said.

Casey indicated that he planned to contact Schwab this week and put forward his compromise proposal, but it is unlikely to appease Casey's former vice-president, who fears for the club's financial viability.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/07/22/1090464798328.html?oneclick=true

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 11:10:22 AM »
The Schwab ticket - which includes former player Bryan Wood, former club director and premiership player Peter Welsh, TAC executive Colin Radford, and liquidator and former Richmond director Michael Humphris - is expected to confront Casey over the next week.

On SEN, Casey said that if Schwab doesn’t come forward in the next couple of days then the Club will seek him out to discuss the issue, because the situation dictates that things need to be resolved quickly, because the uncertainty surrounding the Club is an issue for prospective coaches and sponsors alike.

Last night, multi-millionaire mobile phone entrepreneur "Crazy" John Ilhan said that he would seriously consider joining the Schwab ticket.

Speaking on SEN radio station, Ilhan, a life-long Tigers fan, said that he was disappointed with the present board, which he said had approached him "a couple of years ago" about taking up a role at the club but had never followed up its approach.

A case of Ilhan being upset at the Club going with Motorola ahead of his company or just genuince concern?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 11:20:08 AM »
Is he going to just put himself up for re-election or will there be a spill of all board positions?

There would be no spill of all positions unless there is a motion to remove the board - ala what Pahoff is trying to do with his petition

3 board positions come up for election every year. The term for each Director is for 3 years.

Clinton Casey was elected unopposed at the beginning of 2003. There was no election because there were 3 vacancies and only 3 nominations.

He can put himself up for re-election prior to his term finishing which he is saying he is going to do.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »
Casey offers poll deal for peace at Punt Rd
23 July 2004   Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

Casey told the Herald Sun yesterday he would put his fate in the hands of the members next summer if the forces plotting against him abandoned a push for a spill of the board in the next few weeks.

"I am prepared to offer myself up for re-election at the appropriate time, which is at our annual general meeting at the end of the year (January)," he said.

He isn't due to seek re-election until the 2005 annual meeting.

"To those out there at the moment with a view to forcing an extraordinary general meeting, I'm saying now's not the right time. We need a period of stability. Let's wait until the annual general meeting."

Casey said the instability that has engulfed Richmond in recent months had become a major impediment in the search for a coach to replace Danny Frawley after the current season.

The issue has become even more urgent since Hawthorn joined the race for a coach, more specifically an experienced coach.

"It's affecting our recruiting of players and it's certainly affecting our ability to get the best coach," Casey said.

"This is just a critical period for the club and we can't afford to display the instability that's currently surrounding the club," Casey said.

He said Richmond director of football Greg Miller needed a stable environment if he was to restructure the club as quickly as possible.

"Greg's ambition is to rebuild the whole football club. He can't do that in the environment that currently exists. So anything that's going to create stability, (he's) going to be in favour of.

"For him to be able to get the best coach and recruit the best players, like he did last year with Nathan Brown – we would never have got Nathan Brown last year had we been in the turmoil that we're in this year – he needs a stable environment.

"What manager is going to recommend the Richmond Football Club (to his player) with the instability from the outside that currently exists?

"It's raised at every meeting, but it's of particular concern to the applicants that we're probably the most interested in (Read Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade)."

Casey said he believed the two people known to be agitating for a spill – former board member Brendan Schwab and supporter Michael Pahoff – were driven by personal issues.

He said his offer to put his board seat at risk 12 months earlier than required should satisfy both Schwab and Pahoff if they were genuinely interested in the long-term welfare of the club.

Sponsorship is another area at risk, with the club's two major backers – the TAC and Motorola – both out of contract later this year.

Asked if developments at Hawthorn had stung him into action, Casey said: "With Hawthorn saying that they're looking for an experienced coach, I think that's certainly put more competition into the market place.

"When we were last in this market place (1999-2000), we couldn't attract the best coach because of instability, and it's happening to us again, and the club can't afford it."

The Leon Daphne administration of 1999 failed in a bold bid to lure Kevin Sheedy to Punt Road, then was rejected by Michael Malthouse and Mark Thompson before picking Frawley ahead of Tony Elshaug and Brian Royal.

Casey said he and his board had learnt several lessons during five years.

"There's been some mistakes made, but we're in the process of correcting those and those same mistakes will not be made again."

Casey said a decision on the coaching job would be made as soon as possible, probably within 2-3 weeks.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10216849%255E20322,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 11:45:49 AM »

This is why this all has to stop now.

If we do not get the best possible coach because of the apparent selfish interests of a few individuals then................ >:( >:( I know who I will be blaming and it isn't Clinton Casey.

Yes I am very interested to see how much these people really care about the club.

In business you have to make compromises - one has been made let's see if others are prepared to do the same.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 01:39:32 PM »

Schwab and co have to call the whole thing off now, because by continuing on they remove any doubt that they have only ever had their own self-interests at heart.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 03:14:49 PM by Tiger Spirit »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 02:17:52 PM »
We have 27k ticketed members. Michael Pahoff has 100 signatures. 100 out of 27,000. No majority, not half not even 1% of the membership but we remain in limbo land. Every day that passes is a lost day in trying to secure the best coach. :banghead

I really hope that these people (Pahoff, Schwab, Welsh) are listening and reading ;) what the members are saying because from what I read here and on BF and from talking to my other Tiger friends what most people want at the moment is a quality coach.

Could/should it be this simple ??? ::)

Which would you prefer:

A new president and board and more than likely a rookie inexperienced coach who was our 3rd, 4th possible 5th choice(btw we've been there remember)

or

A experienced coach who is the best available, the current board and president with the option to vote out said president in January?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:21:19 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 02:45:20 PM »
Hopefully Casey putting himself up before the members will stop all this nonsence with directionless petitions and secret alternative tickets. Time for Schwab and Co or whoever else wants to challenge to put up now or shut up. They should be on the phone to Casey today.

A experienced coach who is the best available, the current board and president with the option to vote out said president in January?

This is a no-brainer now. The most important decision facing our Club right now is getting the best coach(es) available. Anyone who seeks to jeopardise this is putting their own interests and ego ahead of that of the Club. We are a football club. The betterment of the football department should always come first.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd