Author Topic: We’re ‘sticking fat’: Wallace  (Read 1299 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We’re ‘sticking fat’: Wallace
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »
We’re ‘sticking fat’: Wallace
By Geoff Dodd
richmondfc.com.au
Saturday, May 18, 2007

TIGERS coach Terry Wallace says his players are “sticking fat” through the most challenging start to a season he’s ever experienced in his 200 games of senior coaching.

And it’s a start that is about to become more challenging following a facial injury to key forward Matthew Richardson, which will keep him out for up to eight weeks.

“We all want to win. You want to win every time you go out there, you don’t accept anything less and the guys are disappointed,” Wallace said after his side’s nine-point loss to the Crows.

“I got them in after the game and said we’ve just got to keep persevering and working. We can’t get down on ourselves.

“That’s the thing I’ve been most pleased with … I thought the spirit within the footy club has been at its very, very best this week. I know that the Adelaide Crows had sensed that there was a real spirit about our training throughout the week.

“And that’s what we’ve got to do … when you’re going through hardships and hard times in anything you’re dealing with within your life you ‘stick fat’, and that’s what I’m hoping all Richmond people will do with us. We’ve just got to stick fat together and the playing group couldn’t be doing any more to do that.”

Wallace was particularly pleased with the way the players stuck at it tonight, with the risk of a ‘Geelong flashback’ for his young team after being jumped at the start of the game yet again.

“Look, I was really pleased with the endeavour of the guys,” Wallace said. “The thing I was particularly pleased with was that we got off to a horrific start and they didn’t lose their nerve and they were prepared to play out the game and take it on its merits.

“And I thought we were right in the game in the last quarter up to our ears and unfortunately a few things didn’t go the way we wanted. Obviously Matthew going down hurt us and had a fairly big impact, and credit to them they were able to steady and win the game.”

Richardson is believed to have copped a fractured eye socket in an accidental clash with teammate Andrew Krakouer, robbing the side of yet another ruck option.

“It’s another tall (lost), and another senior player, and that’s been our lot this year,” said Wallace.

“We’ve got to come up with about ‘Plan E’ now.”

“The only thing from that is that we are losing senior players but it’s allowing us to play other players within the structure of the side.

“Cam (Howat’s) been in over the couple of weeks and played some pretty good football for us; I thought Shane Edwards was terrific tonight; and Jacob King early in the match in particular was a really solid player for us.

“So, you’re finding blokes and hopefully, eventually at some stage – whether it’s this year or whether it’s preseason next year, you’ll eventually get them all back in together.”

Wallace said the Richardson injury changed the momentum of the game, which had been swinging back Richmond’s way in a frenetic final quarter.

“Our structure changed and I thought that changed the flow of the game, to a degree” Wallace said. But Wallace said in the end the Crows just had too many senior experienced players.

“Blokes like Welsh, strong body, stands up and just does the right sort of thing; a couple of guys around the stoppages who are really strong bodied players. It makes a difference, and that was probably the difference tonight.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=43450

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: We’re ‘sticking fat’: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:29:20 AM »
19 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

After the Crows kicked the first three goals of the game and then lead by 22 points at quarter-time, the Tigers outscored Adelaide 11 goals to seven in the next three quarters.

The youthful Tigers put up a hell of a fight, with their persistence and tackling matching the more experienced bodies of Adelaide.

Wallace was pleased with the desperation, but had to deal with yet another gallant defeat.

"Unfortunately, it's the same result," he said.

"I was pleased with the endeavour of the game. The most particular thing I was pleased with is that we got off to a horrific start, but they didn't lose their nerve.

"I thought in the last quarter we were right in the game up to our ears and, unfortunately, a few things didn't go the way we wanted it to go."

The Tigers youngsters took it up to their opponents with Nathan Foley, Shane Edwards, Jake King, Brett Deledio, Andrew Raines and ruckman Adam Pattison injecting some spirit into the team.

"Shane Edwards was terrific tonight. We're finding blokes and hopefully, eventually, at some stage . . . we get them all back together," Wallace said.

Raines said the eight losses hurt, but agreed the team had regained some respect.

"We had a crack," Raines said. "We haven't dropped our heads at all, there's been no whingeing, so we think that's a massive bonus and it's starting to reflect on the footy field.

"We need a win, but the group has been really good."

Wallace agreed: "I thought the spirit within the footy club had been at its absolute best this week. The Crows had sensed there was some real spirit about our training, and that's what we've got to do.

"We've got to be together and stick together."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21757910%255E19742,00.html

Ox

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 03:55:26 AM »

The Tigers youngsters took it up to their opponents
with Nathan Foley, Shane Edwards, Jake King, Brett Deledio, Andrew Raines and ruckman Adam Pattison injecting some spirit into the team.

Dam sight better than taking it up the quacker.

retygas

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »
If Terry says we are sticking fat. That okay but we must look at our mighty leader. He is one big dispointment. He is not a leaders arse and should have never been given the job. For us to win with him as captain he has to stand up and apply himself and not get frustrated like he did a few times last night. So this is where sticking fat has to come undone. Sack Jonhson and give the job to someone else. Even if we place it on some younger player he will do the same as Johnson. But I was pleased how we did fight the game out to the end.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:03:24 PM »
Sticking fat? We're getting fat stuck to us.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:56:51 AM »
"Sticking Fat", I really hate that term, it's so Wayne Brittain and so much a term of the old loser guard of him and frawley.

Get a new term Plough, a man of your gift shouldn't find that task to hard.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 10:17:22 PM »
"Sticking Fat", I really hate that term, it's so Wayne Brittain and so much a term of the old loser guard of him and frawley.

Get a new term Plough, a man of your gift shouldn't find that task to hard.
Agree RR. Lines like that and "cherry ripe" should never be heard ever again at Punt Rd  :-X.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd