Author Topic: Voss leaves Lids out of his best U21 side  (Read 538 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Voss leaves Lids out of his best U21 side
« on: May 20, 2007, 04:54:53 AM »
Young talent out of this world
Michael Voss | May 20, 2007 | The Age

IMAGINE if a footy team from outer space landed in Australia and fancied a game. It would be a little disadvantaged, playing on a foreign planet, so we'd have to handicap its opposition a little. Maybe field an AFL under-21 team. So, I put my selector's hat on and came up with my AFL under-21 All Stars.

Only players who were under 21 as of January 1, 2007, were eligible. Only players who had played AFL footy were considered. And performance rather than potential was the primary consideration. I didn't consider injured players. It was an interesting exercise putting together a short list of candidates. There wasn't an overwhelming number of ruck and key-position options, which confirms suspicions that taller players can take a little longer to mature.

If I'd picked this side at the start of the season, Richmond's Brett Deledio, an International Rules representative in 2005, and Brisbane's Justin Sherman, who toured Ireland last year, would have been automatic inclusions.

They've missed out because they've been down on form this year, but that's not totally unexpected for young players and they'll be back better than ever.

Richmond's Dean Polo, ninth in the Tigers' best and fairest last year, is another who has been a bit up and down and just missed out.

Full article at: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/young-talent-out-of-this-world/2007/05/19/1179497343212.html

The side isn't listed online but some of names included going by the article are:
Chris Knights (Adel)
Michael Rischitelli (Bris)
Lance Franklin (Haw)
Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
Harry O'Brien (Coll)
Joel Selwood (Geel)