Author Topic: Browny may be back in a fortnight  (Read 1999 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Browny back via Coburg this week
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
Snippet from Sportal:

Richmond football manager Paul Armstrong told Sportal on Monday that Brown would play for Coburg this weekend as long as he comes through the rest of this week's training unscathed.

"

Should be a very interesting day in bendigo indeed :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny to comeback via Coburg ressies (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 02:36:23 AM »
Brown aims to get a kick out of Tigers reserves
29 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

NATHAN Brown will start his comeback on Saturday with Coburg's reserves team, Mike Sheahan writes.

The Richmond star will play a maximum of 40 minutes in his first game of the season.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said last night Brown would play in the reserves at Preston rather than travel to Bendigo to play at senior level on Sunday.

"It really didn't matter to us what level he played at," Wallace said.

"It's just a matter of getting some match time into him."

Wallace said Brown would play the first 10 minutes, rest the next 10 and return for the last 10 of the quarter, then follow the same routine in the second term before retiring for the afternoon.

If he is ready to play at AFL level after two games with Coburg, he will return for the Friday night Round 12 clash with Melbourne.

Ironically, it was the corresponding fixture in 2005 when Brown was cut down at the height of his brilliance, his leg broken in a collision with Matthew Whelan.

He had kicked 34 goals in 10 games; the Tigers were 7-3 and fourth on the ladder.

Brown, 29, said last night he hoped to play 10-11 games for Richmond this year.

"Terry wants the club to have a big second half of the year with myself and Troy Simmonds back in the side fully fit, Kent Kingsley and Will Thursfield back," he said.

"We need to make an imprint on the season in the second half.

"Our young kids are going to be good, but you do need your better players out there playing well for the young kids to stand up and play the sort of footy you want them to play."

Brown said he had struggled with the disappointment and pain of the past three months.

His season was delayed after a scan on the eve of Round 1 revealed a hot spot only 5cm below the break that derailed his career.

"Two weeks before the season started, we beat Collingwood up in Mildura and I kicked four or five. Everything was going fine and then it all went backwards," Brown said.

"That was 12 weeks ago now; Friday was the first time I've trained with the boys since. I've been up and down; good days and bad days. I'm starting to feel a bit better now, but I guess you just get to the point where you just get sick of the pain."

Brown has been having acupuncture after every main training session for the past five weeks.

"I've had a good couple of weeks where it has been pain-free. I feel very confident once I get over this hurdle I'm going to have some good years ahead of me," he said.

He admitted he felt "a little bit cheated".

"It was an unfortunate accident . . . that's football," he said.

He said he had no problem playing in the VFL, even at reserves level.

"Everyone's done it. Nathan Buckley played in the twos last year (at Williamstown). If Nathan Buckley plays in the twos, I don't see why I wouldn't," Brown said.

"It's just getting some miles in my legs in a game where the impact isn't quite as hard as it is as at AFL.

"I'll just get out there and get a few kicks and say to Terry at some point, 'Is that enough?'

"We're 0-9, but I don't think the ladder position really indicates the football we've been playing.

"When you're in a winning position six or seven times against good sides and you throw it away, there's certainly something to work with. That can be turned around a lot quicker than people think."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21810666%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown confident on return (sportal)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
Brown confident on return
by: Paul Gough
Sportal

"I am pretty positive it is going to be good from now on," he said of his leg. "I have had a couple of hiccups and obviously saying that you never know what the future is going to bring but the conditioning over the last few weeks has told me that the leg is on the mend."

"I haven't played a lot of football over the last two years so I feel as though my body is still fresh," he said on Tuesday.

"I haven't had any big hits and it's just been the one bone that has been the problem so hopefully that adds years to the end of my career."
----
"This is not a real indication of where the club is at," he said of the Tigers' dreadful start to the season.

"Six or seven times the club has been in front in the last quarter and we have lost games but there is something to work with there."

"Everyone sees us on the bottom of the ladder at the moment and the laughing stock of the AFL but it can turn around very quickly."

"And when we get senior players back in and we are able to perform to our level and are able to get the younger players to come on quicker than what we are doing at the moment then those people that are laughing at us at the moment, well we will be laughing at them."

Full article at: http://sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=99496

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Browny may be back in a fortnight
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 06:24:22 PM »
Lets hope Browny doesn't get lost on the way out to Preston lol

While Brown was unfamiliar with the venue of Coburg's VFL fixture this weekend, he said he was just looking forward to playing again.

"We're playing out at Preston Oval wherever that is, I think, so I'll make my way out there and hopefully get a kick and it'll be good getting back to some grassroots foot," he said.

The two-time All-Australian will play a number of matches for Coburg and their reserves before a return to the senior squad is considered.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200705/s1936786.htm

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »
Lets hope Browny doesn't get lost on the way out to Preston lol

While Brown was unfamiliar with the venue of Coburg's VFL fixture this weekend, he said he was just looking forward to playing again.

"We're playing out at Preston Oval wherever that is, I think, so I'll make my way out there and hopefully get a kick and it'll be good getting back to some grassroots foot," he said.

The two-time All-Australian will play a number of matches for Coburg and their reserves before a return to the senior squad is considered.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200705/s1936786.htm

Would have liked it to be Bendigo :rollin

FYI Browny - Preston Oval is near the train line at Cramer Street  ;D just a short stroll from Preston Market
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »
FYI Browny - Preston Oval is near the train line at Cramer Street  ;D just a short stroll from Preston Market
Preston wouldn't be Browny's scene. Too many bogans/Pie fans lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Comeback for Brown in Coburg reserves (The Age)
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:21 AM »
Comeback for Brown in Coburg reserves
Adam Cooper | May 30, 2007 | The Age

RICHMOND forward Nathan Brown will get his chance to unleash nine weeks of pent-up anger when he plays his first game for the season at the weekend.

But Brown's return after prolonged soreness in the leg he broke badly two years ago will have no bearing on the Tigers cracking their first win of the AFL season.

Instead, he will play 40 minutes for the Coburg Tigers against teenagers and little-known opponents in the VFL reserves.

Richmond decided to play its star forward in the reserves because of the greater recovery time he would get from playing a day earlier and closer to Richmond's club rooms, where he can have a recovery session.

The Coburg reserves play the Northern Bullants at Preston on Saturday, whereas the senior side plays in Bendigo on Sunday.

Although Brown is unlikely to play in the AFL for at least another three rounds, he made it clear yesterday that he could salvage something from the second half of the season.

"It was frustrating at the start of the year but week after week, it turned a little bit more to anger," he said when asked what it was like watching Richmond this season.

"I've been trying to hone that anger and turning that into a determination for the future because nought (wins) and nine (losses) … it's not a real indication of where the club is.

"Six or seven times, we've been in front in the last quarter and we've lost games, so there's something to work with there.

"Everyone sees us on the bottom of the ladder at the moment and the laughing stock of the AFL, people think we're battling.

"But it turns around very quickly and when we get senior players back in and we're able to perform to our level … those people who are laughing at us at the moment, we'll be laughing at them."

Two months ago, Brown was counting down to what should have been a massive personal 2007, given he had recovered from breaking his right leg in round 10, 2005.

But he developed a "hot spot" just before round one and only now is training without pain.

"You never know what the future's going to bring, but the conditioning over the last three weeks has told me the leg's on the mend," Brown said.

"I haven't played a lot of football over the last year-and-a-half or two years, so I feel my body is still fresh.

"I haven't had any big hits, haven't had any soft-tissue injuries.

"It's just been the one bone that's been the problem, so hopefully that adds years on to the end of my career."

Brown might have to wait until the split round 12 before making his AFL comeback as coach Terry Wallace and Richmond are determined to be cautious with him and ruckman Troy Simmonds.

Simmonds is yet to overcome an ankle injury and also will return via the VFL.

"We would rather have these guys up and running and have a vibrant end to the season and have them a part of that than have them out at any stage because we threw them in too early," Wallace said.

Tigers midfielder Dean Polo should return from a dislocated shoulder to play the Brisbane Lions on Saturday night.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/brown-comeback-in-coburg-reserves/2007/05/29/1180205249771.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Browny will play this week for Coburg ressies
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »
I spoke to the Club fitness coordinator at training and he said Browny is definitely playing this Saturday for Coburg ressies. He also said Polo is available for selection. Browny did the whole training session.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny ready for injury comeback
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »
Brown ready for injury comeback in VFL
June 1, 2007 - 5:54PM
Sydney Morning Herald

Regardless of whether Nathan Brown successfully returns to football in a low-key hitout, his AFL comeback for Richmond appears a few weeks away.

Brown, whose career has been stop-start since his sickening broken leg two years ago, plays his first match of the season on Saturday for the Tigers' VFL affiliate Coburg's reserve-grade team.

Richmond assistant coach David King confirmed Brown was on track to play at least 40 minutes of Coburg reserves' match against Northern Bullants following a strong training session on Friday.

But no timeline had been put on the star small forward's AFL return.

"He's just rapt to be out there again. He'll play a half of football, and that's all he needs - just game time and we'll ramp him up from there," King said.

"He's been training for a long time, he's been frustrated for a long time. We just want to see him out there enjoying what he does best.

"I'm sure he won't be far off a return."

Brown excelled during the pre-season but was withdrawn from the Tigers' round-one AFL clash because of recurring soreness in the leg he splintered in round 10, 2005.

When Brown does return, it will add to the selection pressure in possibly the only area the Tigers are spoilt for choice - their forward line.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Brown-ready-for-injury-comeback-in-VFL/2007/06/01/1180205501535.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny got through today's game fine
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
Jade Rawlings on ABC said Browny got through fine, kicked a couple of goals and told him he felt no pain. They'll see how he pulls up from the game.

:thumbsup