Author Topic: When the club re-signed Gaspar lasr year................  (Read 1751 times)

Ox

When the club re-signed Gaspar lasr year................
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:16:50 AM »
How was it to know that ;

a - his form would be so poor
b - his leadership would be so deflating
c- his re-action to being dropped to the VFL would be that of resigning

To cut it short,I think this is the ultimate example of why we are justified in what we did.

He was a faker,a passenger with stripes that thought,in continuance with a long tradition of other RFC players,thought they were
either bigger than or seperate to the club.

I find it an interesting discussion topic.

Firstly the fact is he WAS playing pathetic football.

Why was he too good(in his deluded mind) to play magoos and prove his worth and ultimately
showing some REAL leadership and heart by staring his career in the eye and turning the tables???

Surely this would have been an inspiring occurance at a club that is desperate for just that - inspiration.

FWIW,His departure ,hopefully is indiicative of the fact the club has realised that the time is now.

No more sponges like Gaspar,Tivendale and atm,Johnson.

Paper leaders aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Discuss Gaspar and his failure to lead by example....

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: When the club re-signed Gaspar lasr year................
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:48:50 AM »
I think the thing that killed Gaspar OX was the injuries to other key players in the side before the season started and then the bad start and this ultimately lead to a different plan of attack on the season and a different strategic view, this is what ultimately screwed Gaspar.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »
In the past two games, commentators have made mention, more than once, that we could have used Gaspar at some stage during the game.  The club should never have signed him up for another year if they had no intention of using him for the year.  Sort of biting of its nose to spite its face.  I don't believe Gaspar deserved to finish out his career in the magoos.  It would be just killing time.  He was no more pathetic than a lot of other players on the team. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
It's called tanking :shh. Why risk a priority pick for a few meaningless wins with senior players who won't be around next year.

Gas probably would've have got a game last week as McGuane needed a run in the magoos but he chose to retire instead. It's not all Gas' fault either. It was the Club who poured out the $$$ to keep him when Freo were after him. It was the Club via Spud who recruited just one KPP in 5 years so there was no one to replace Gas when he did his knee and as he's got older and past his peak.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:08:37 PM »
Spot on MT - plough has had 2 and a bit years, not nearly long enough to fix the mess.

In the end all the biatching and moaning that we r doing atm comes back to this.

Ox

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »
[quote author=julzqld l
In the past two games, commentators have made mention, more than once, that we could have used Gaspar at some stage during the game.

so u get rid of a boyfriend jewlez,because he's not working for you but 2 weeks in,when the obvious occurs,you want to go running back to him...?

These commentators are politically motivated joysticks with nothing to contribute.

The bigger story is about MOVING ON and carving your new future.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »
Interestng points Ox, one I will admit I hadn't thought of.

I think the way his "retirement" was handled by the Club was poor but I do understand what your are saying about leadership.

The year after he did his knee his form was so poor that he asked Spudley to go back to Coburg and IIRC he played 2 games before returning to the seniors. Perhaps considering where we are at the moment it would have been a good lesson to our young blokes that any player can be dropped and then take their medicine, go back to Coburg and fight their way back into the seniors (ala Krak & Tiv over the past few weeks)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:45:46 AM »

so u get rid of a boyfriend jewlez,because he's not working for you but 2 weeks in,when the obvious occurs,you want to go running back to him...?

No I'm made of sterner stuff.  Once they get the flick, its all over red rover.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »
Gaspar has no leadership abilities.

Writing should have been on the wall when we realised Mark Graham was a better mentor than Gaspar, a dual AA defender.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
It was purely a desperation move in the hope that Wil, luke or Kelvin would come on and force him from the side.
Gaspars form last year was patchy and injury prone.
He was always going to be a bit part player in his final season.

The way Gaspar quit in a hissy fit was an absolute disgrace.

Good riddance!!~!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »
Well said Ox, I think the new hands in the back rule caught him out bigtime. He obviously wasn't able to adapt his playing style and you could see on his face how frustrated he was getting with it all. Not having the guts to go back to coburg and sort things out showed what he was really made of.  :chuck

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:50:29 PM »
I think the new hands in the back rule caught him out bigtime. He obviously wasn't able to adapt his playing style and you could see on his face how frustrated he was getting with it all.
True tiga. The rule changes of the past few years have limited the tricks old-fashioned defenders would use. On top of that the modern game requires defenders to have excellent foot skills to set-up attacks once they cause a turnover. It was a double whammy for Gas, plus he was getting older and past his peak.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 06:15:49 PM »
Well said Ox, I think the new hands in the back rule caught him out bigtime.

Thats a great point tiga.

But as MT said the game just passed him by.

With regards to list assessment I think there are a few down at Punt Road who are slow on the uptake and lack the guts to make a hard call.

The problem is in when there are 16 clubs trying to build a mobile defensive unit if you are a late you are far too late.