Author Topic: Club Alignment's  (Read 998 times)

retygas

Club Alignment's
« on: May 24, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
This something I have no idea about and was hoping that someone could put it to rest for me. Just how did like us (Richmond) get alined with Coburg and the rest of the other teams, though they ain't as important to know about. Not that I mind one bit at all . Its just something that I have wondered about and you all know twice as much as I do. So I came to the smart one first.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Club Alignment's
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »
After the reserves were killed off, we had our own Richmond VFL side but from memory the costs and organisation involved became too great as it did for nearly all Victorian AFL clubs. You had lists of around 50 or so players. A number of traditional VFA/VFL clubs were also struggling financially in a competition of 18? teams so it was seen I think  that alignment would be a win-win. We saved the Coburg Lions from going under hence the moniker change to the Coburg Tigers. 

Maybe other AFL and VFL clubs don't like it but the Richmond-Coburg alignment appears to be working well and beneficial to the RFC. Our young cubs get to play and develop within a strong winning framework thanks to having the good Coburg players around them and we now have the Calder Cannons feeding Coburg which will help with finding potential rookie listed players.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »
After the reserves were killed off, we had our own Richmond VFL side but from memory the costs and organisation involved became too great as it did for nearly all Victorian AFL clubs. You had lists of around 50 or so players. A number of traditional VFA/VFL clubs were also struggling financially in a competition of 18? teams so it was seen I think  that alignment would be a win-win. We saved the Coburg Lions from going under hence the moniker change to the Coburg Tigers. 

That about sums it up.

Any AFL Club in Victoria still has the ability to field their own team in the VFL competition. They all chose not bar Geelong because of the costs involved in doing it.

Melbourne were the first team to align. In the first couple of years most AFL teams did field their own VFL side (eg Carlton, C'wood, Essendon, Richmond) but the costs caused most to go down the alignment path
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

retygas

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
I really want to thank you both so much for the information. I now know and it was interesting to find out once and for all. Much apperciated. By the way I think we will have our 1st win this week against the Bombers. But I'm going with my heart on this.  :gotigers