Author Topic: The free kick was there & we didnt deserve to win  (Read 6588 times)

Bulluss

The free kick was there & we didnt deserve to win
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
The free kick against Richo was certainly there, he didnt have to push Michael just touch his back and its a free kick.

Stupid rule, but thats the rule.

We should have been down by 6 goals at half time.

Our game plan sucks, too many short kicks and turnovers because we allow the opposition to push back and block up the holes.

We need to be more explosive, Lids showed how to break it open tonight but we kept running into traffic and over using the footy.

If we change our game plan to a more direct style with more risk taking and fast moving footy, we could be a very competitive team.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: The free kick was there & we didnt deserve to win
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »
Free kick maybe, 50 metre penalty DEFINITELY NOT!  :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
Agree FWOY.

The same thing happened in the 2nd qtr and they didnt give us 50.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:33:04 PM »
I've just about F'n had it with umpire "Interperatations"! I almost feel like doing a Pahoff and calling on AFL fans to boycott a pre-determined round of the season to send a message that it's just not good enough. These monkeys are friggin untouchable becasue if we hurt their feelings, they won't be umpires anymore. Meanwhile, clubs like ours will endure financial setbacks for years to come because we won't be able to attract members based purely on win-loss records determined by sh ithouse umpiring decisions that go unpunished.

My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:35 PM »
Richo didn't push Michael in the back. In fact if anything it was to Michael's side. Richo's left hand was in Michael's back but he was holding his ground as every forward should be allowed to and has been allowed to for 100 years until this year  ::).

It's a dud rule. It was a dud rule from day one  :banghead.

Everyone should email KB at SEN. He's on the rules committee. His new interpretation has just cost his own club a game.

hungryforsport@sen.com.au

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
Cant disagree that it was a free by the rules.

I think this new rule will really be under the pump this week.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:53:15 PM »
Richo didn't push Michael in the back. In fact if anything it was to Michael's side. Richo's left hand was in Michael's back but he was holding his ground as every forward should be allowed to and has been allowed to for 100 years until this year  ::).

It's a dud rule. It was a dud rule from day one  :banghead.

Everyone should email KB at SEN. He's on the rules committee. His new interpretation has just cost his own club a game.

hungryforsport@sen.com.au

KB disregards any criticism of the rules and always handballs it to "umpire interperatations"... then spends an hour waxing with Fatprick who no doubt will laud the gutsy bummer win  :banghead

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »
I thought it was more of an 'armbar' than a push, and definitely should not have been paid. Having said that, the decision was not that far out of line with the way that's been called this year. Very soft version of it, as mt says, it was almost in the side too which made the decision softer. The umpiring was appalling tonight, both ways. Essendon supporters were visibly embarrassed at some of the frees they were receiving and likewise i was embarrassed to recieve a couple tonight too.

Can't let the Kane Johnson 50m penalty in the 2nd go unmentioned either, I asked every Essendon supporter was he off, and they ALL said 'Yes, he was off!'

MAGGOTS!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:18:54 AM »
Spot on fwoy. They don't have to face criticism so don't have to answer to anything. As DC said the umpires paid numerous soft frees tonight for both sides.

Maybe KB would also like to explain how did Lloyd get that last goal when the ump had called play on and then the siren went. Somehow Lloyd was still allowed to take his kick  ???.

Or Monfries taking 3 steps past the mark and then getting 50 because Sugar held him up. What are you supposed to do? Let your opponent run on  ::). Yet when the same thing happened to us later in the game there was no 50m penalty to us.

Where's the commonsense in the rules anymore!  :scream
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:28:21 AM »
Interperatations of the hands in the back rule

#1 it's not the umpires fault this stupid rule thats making our football game a sham its the AFL & those who help make the rules

#2 The hands in the back rule is however very badly judged by umpires & so if they can't Interperatate the rule properly then it should never have been passed & any new rule should not be allowed without trialing it at a lower level

#3 Richmond didnot lose the game on the Richo goal that was disallowed in the last 1/4 because it works boths way for each team you would have seen that Richo was awarded a free kick in the 2nd term which was against Mal Michael which was another bad decision as the free kick should have never been given the result a goal to us that should never have been

#4 The best way to beat this stupid rule is to act on a class action petition to the AFL by all supporters from all clubs including media & officials from clubs to have this stupid rule which is killing the game & any other stupid rule abolished from our great game as this will also prove to the AFL that it itself is not greater than the game & its supporters

#5 If the AFL didnot act on a presented petition than the fans should act show them with a non attendence & support to games until changes are made

#6 The AFL are making our greatest game into a shamble & are not there for the fans but for the mighty $$$$
the tv coverage is shocking & admission & food prices & merchandise costs are outrageous for large families & yet we except it every year
l think its time for the fans to act !!  its not a family football game anymore its not enjoyable & its frustrating the fans, the media & everybody is saying this & that but we just letting the AFL & the corperate $$$ walk all over us while there dining & having a good time living it up

The umpiring this last few years has been nothing less than shocking & the Interperatations of the rules with 3 field umpires is a stuffin disgrace they change there Interperatations as the game goes 1/4 by 1/4 well l have had enough of the inconsistant decisions

Your a supporter ??? you support your club ??? who made football what it is today ??? the fans the ones the AFL is ripping off & wreaking the greatest game on earth

Be a supporter act now send your letter to the afl & your club & the media this week
vent to them about the game you love the game they are killing with stupid rules

& also get behind the Richmond football club & support the players cause the future is bright the kids are doing there best
& Richo the man who wears his heart & soul on the jumper l just love the big fella

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 08:23:56 AM »
Can't let the Kane Johnson 50m penalty in the 2nd go unmentioned either, I asked every Essendon supporter was he off, and they ALL said 'Yes, he was off!'

MAGGOTS!
Was that the decision that even the commentators said was the worse umpiring decision they had ever seen?  And yet same thing happens to James Hird later in the game and Jimmy Boy gets away with it.  Even the commentators made mention how unfair it was and that you really need your name to be James Hird.

Richo didn't push Michael in the back. In fact if anything it was to Michael's side. Richo's left hand was in Michael's back but he was holding his ground as every forward should be allowed to and has been allowed to for 100 years until this year  .
  To quote McEnroe:  "You can't be serious?"

Life goes on

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:32 AM »
Forget about the free kick.
What about when Tambling was coming of D50 with a minute to go and had a player 25 metres ahead of him, his kick missed his teammate and sailed over his head. Couldnt hit a target 25 metres away. Hits the target and they were away.
Thats Richmonds problem,too many players who cant hit a target 25 mtres in front of them ::)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 09:18:27 AM »
Forget about the free kick.
What about when Tambling was coming of D50 with a minute to go and had a player 25 metres ahead of him, his kick missed his teammate and sailed over his head. Couldnt hit a target 25 metres away. Hits the target and they were away.
Thats Richmonds problem,too many players who cant hit a target 25 mtres in front of them ::)
Back to Coburg

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
I will contend (strongly) that the push was in the side and that Richo's left hand ended up resting on Michael's back.  The push was actually via Richo's right hand/arm which was clearly planted in Michael's side.

In my mind the most contentious part of the new interpretation is that a horizontal push (i.e. Richo on Michael) is a free kick, whilst a vertical push, Hird on Meyer (I think) (i.e. landing on Meyer's back) about two minutes earlier which resulted in an Essendon goal is not interpreted as in the back.

It is very apparent watching a few games that the players are totally perplexed.  You constantly see a trailling player throw his hands back if his opponent in front stumbles and pitches forward in any way.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »
stupid rule, football has gone soft  :banghead