Author Topic: Everyone loves Richo / Marvellous Richardson / Richo as good as a movie  (Read 1590 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Everyone loves Richo
Martin Flanagan | May 30, 2007 | The Age

THERE'S only one Matthew Richardson. In British soccer, they'd sing about him. Here, we give him his own name — Richo.

This week, an Essendon fan wrote to me and said that Richo, in a strange way, "gives as much joy to opposition fans as he does to his own". The reason opposition fans like Richo is because anyone can look at him and see what's going on inside. Everyone knows him.

He's always been eye-catching, although not always for the right reason. One of my indelible images of Richo is from the first match of the 2003 season, Richmond versus Collingwood. The Pies had played in the previous year's grand final, the Tigers were pumped with the belief that the start of a new season is like the start of a new life. Anything can happen.

It did. Nathan Buckley cut the Tigers apart, ferociously, methodically. In the third quarter, Richo produced one of the great tortured efforts that characterised his early years, where he nearly marked, chased, pounced, fought, won the ball and — was penalised. My final image was Richo, face furious, getting an arm free from beneath the pile of bodies and making a single-finger salute in the direction of the umpire.

That was Richo — talented and flawed. I made him the hero of my book The Game In Time of War because to watch Richo play — to watch him closely — was to see someone who was gifted by the gods but awfully human. There was a problem with temperament, there was a problem with kicking, but after every setback, each of which was as spectacular as his triumphs, he was back as heart-felt and passionate as before.

Some players who began their careers at the same time as Richo, such as Adelaide's Mark Ricciuto and Bulldog Scott West, have now played more than 300 games. Richo's played 242. The difference is injuries.

Four years ago, I met him at a match-day club function. He'd missed the game through a fractured eye socket; half his face was blown up like a purple football. He told me he'd wanted to play. I thought he was joking. He wasn't. That's when I realised Richo was a serious footballer.

Before then, I have to admit, I viewed him as a figure of fun, flawed kicking, blowing his top — the talented player who was forever young. But when I met him, his manner was of a much older man — genial and gentle. Three weeks ago, when I did one of these columns on Ted Soderblom, the Tigers' former chief property steward, he told me some players take the work of trainers and property stewards for granted, but not Richo. "He always appreciates what you do for him," said the old steward.

Recently, people also have started taking Richo more seriously as a footballer. After all, he's kicked more than 700 goals and his much-derided conversion rate when kicking for goal is only marginally below that of Sydney's Barry Hall, the gun centre half-forward in the competition.

Richo's life has been Richmond. His first football memory is watching the 1980 grand final, in which Richmond flogged Collingwood, with his father when he was five. He has bitter memories of the Tigers' loss two years later to Carlton. "I was shattered. I walked round the house for days in my Richmond scarf."

His father Alan, known as "Bull", played in Richmond's '67 premiership. Richo points out that his father was ahead of his time since he rarely, if ever, kicked the ball. He was a poor kick and, in the words of his son, "Len Smith (the Richmond coach) told him to handball each time he got it". (If people tell Ron Barassi that he invented the modern use of handball in the course of the 1970 grand final, he says, "No, Len Smith did".) As a kid, Richo spent hours reading his father's scrapbooks.

Richo came to Richmond under the father-son rule 15 seasons ago. He was 17 and says he immediately felt at home. There were still people around the club, such as property steward Dusty O'Brien, who'd been there when Bull played. His first coach, John Northey, was one of his father's teammates. The first time they met, Northey told Richo to expect 100 x 100-metre runs at his first pre-season training. He went home and started running. So you were always serious about your footy? I ask. "Oh, yeah," he says. "Always ambitious. If we lost in junior footy, I could be filthy for days."

He says he's learned to curb his emotions. He says there's always the temptation, when you feel your emotions rise, "to let them go and see where they take you". He reckons he's played some of his best footy when he's played on emotion. And some of his worst. In the end, he says, in the interest of playing more consistent footy, he had to even them out.

I reckon last Saturday's Dreamtime match between Richmond and Essendon ultimately became a match between James Hird and Richo. The modern game is so complex, you often struggle to understand who is doing what and why. But I still maintain the great players make it simple. Hird did, radically so, and Essendon rallied around his example. But Richo did, too. In cricket terms, Richo played a faultless innings but was still given out to an iffy call by the umpire.

He held the Tigers together, he kicked five goals if you include what appeared to be the winner. Then the ball was taken off him and whipped down the other end. The young Tigers lost their composure. Their first win of the season — and in a big game — slipped through their fingers and, while others such as Graham Polak and Brett Deledio played well, if anyone summed up the occasion for Richmond in symbolic terms, it was, as it has been so often, Richo.

He had played with a fractured bone in his face. He had a headache afterwards but says "it's not an issue". He often has a headache after a game.

About the decision disallowing the mark from which he scored his last goal, he says: "I'm not criticising the umpire. I just think the rule's gone too far."

Richo would have liked to captain Richmond, "but somehow the timing was never right".

He is contracted until the end of next year and, if his body permits, would like to continue after that. Richo, the perennial youth, is now one of the elders of the game such as the Kangaroos' Glenn Archer and the Demons' David Neitz.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/everyone-loves-richo/2007/05/29/1180205249768.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 04:27:20 AM by one-eyed »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Everyone loves Richo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »
Great Read  :thumbsup

to watch Richo play — to watch him closely — was to see someone who was gifted by the gods but awfully human.

Too true

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »
That was Richo — talented and flawed. I made him the hero of my book The Game In Time of War because to watch Richo play — to watch him closely — was to see someone who was gifted by the gods but awfully human. There was a problem with temperament, there was a problem with kicking, but after every setback, each of which was as spectacular as his triumphs, he was back as heart-felt and passionate as before.

Spot on  :clapping

Very good article indeed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:03:43 PM »
I wish we could have Richo all over again  :pray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »
I wish we could have Richo all over again  :pray
After 15 years of balls going over his head or bouncing at his feet I don't think Richo does lol.

A shame he's played in crap teams all of his career. We've wasted his talent.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:13:24 AM »
Any chance he can hurry up and have a kid or 10? :rollin :gotigers
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:20:50 PM »
Any chance he can hurry up and have a kid or 10? :rollin :gotigers

Even if he did we'd have to wait another 18 years  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Marvellous Richardson (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 03:24:54 AM »
Marvellous Richardson
01 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Damian Barrett

IT WILL be a sad day for football when Matthew Richardson plays his last game, as Damian Barrett writes.

Hopefully, it is two, three, even four, years away. But, such is footy's habit of lopping the big blokes once they move well in to their 30s, it may come as soon as next year.

What are we, the footy fans - and all fans, not just those who support Richmond - to do once he disappears?

Who else will let us inside his head so we can ride every kick, marking contest, goal, disputable umpiring decision and point?

Who else will lift us to the highest of highs one moment, and a slumping low the next?

Who will let us feel the on-field hurt of a loss or the joy of a win, all from the loungeroom couch or a seat in the stands?

Richo's passage through 243 matches has given us an on-field perspective provided by no other player.

Never was that more evident than on Saturday night at the MCG when he took two breaks to an eye socket, 13 stitches to his head and a broken nose into a match his team was never supposed to win.

Richardson's preparedness to play that night may just be the bravest act in the game's history.

That he was best-afield almost didn't matter. That he was prepared, despite receiving some advice he should take a six-week break, to play for a team that was 0-8 said everything.

Then there was his sportsmanship despite the trauma of that push-in-the-back decision in the dying minutes.

The contentious umpiring decision that went against Richo, in many ways, was indicative of his career.

If he was a punter, he'd be one of those guys who regularly gets the first three legs of the quaddie, only to be bloused by a short half-head in the last leg.

If he was a cricketer, it would surprise no one to see him one day run out on 99, stranded out of his ground at the non-striker's end after the ball had flicked the bowler's hand and cannoned in to the stumps.

Bottom line - if you were Richo, you, too, would be prone to the occasional blow-up.

Those who best know the man say he is one of the great blokes. He has time for everyone. He is almost too honest when commenting on the regularly tough times as a Richmond footballer and certainly too humble on the few good occasions.

And he deeply loves his footy club, having rejected several massive offers to leave over many years.

The Tigers erred when they overlooked Richardson as Wayne Campbell's replacement as captain after the 2004 season.

This is not meant as a sledge on Kane Johnson, who has been reliable in the role through a tough period.

But Johnson is not a Richmond man and doesn't stir emotion in Tigers supporters as Richo does.

Sure, it would have been a risk to appoint Richardson as captain, but as Ron Barassi used to tell his North Melbourne players in the 1970s, to take no risk is the biggest risk of all.

Many would make a very strong case that the Tigers' fortunes would not have been as bleak since.

That Richardson has kicked 712 goals despite some of the most regularly horrible delivery seen in football is amazing.

Remember, too, he has rarely had the luxury of working with a reliable back-up forward-line target.

The biggest criticism of Richardson over the years has been his inability to control a negative body language.

But, really, so what? That characteristic simply proves he seriously hurts when his team is losing, which may, unfortunately for him, be a trait uncommon to some teammates.

The Richo roller-coaster is near the end of its journey.

When it finishes, he will probably be Richmond's second-highest goalkicker (Jack Titus kicked 970 goals and Kevin Bartlett 778) and, again probably, inside the top-10 all-time AFL goalkicking list.

Hopefully, on retirement, he will be given the full set of kudos he clearly deserves.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21828780%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Marvellous Richardson (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 02:30:58 PM »
I'm finding this media new found love fest with Richo amusing when only 6 weeks ago Mike and co were bagging the crap out of him and were saying Richo had cost us more games than he's won  :whistle. The next time Richo misses a crunch or gimme goal they'll be back into bagging him.

IT WILL be a sad day for football when Matthew Richardson plays his last game, as Damian Barrett writes.

Hopefully, it is two, three, even four, years away. But, such is footy's habit of lopping the big blokes once they move well in to their 30s, it may come as soon as next year.
Soft tissue injuries are what finish players over 30 quickly as Cambo sadly found out. As long as Richo's hammies hold up he'll have a few more years left in him. We just need to use him from now on not as our number one goto forward like he has been all his career. Cleve, Jack, Sarge are our potential future key forwards.

Richo's passage through 243 matches has given us an on-field perspective provided by no other player.
It shows how much footy he has missed through serious injury when his peers are approaching 300 games.

The Tigers erred when they overlooked Richardson as Wayne Campbell's replacement as captain after the 2004 season.

This is not meant as a sledge on Kane Johnson, who has been reliable in the role through a tough period.

But Johnson is not a Richmond man and doesn't stir emotion in Tigers supporters as Richo does.
For all Sugar's faults (he shouldn't be playing with his broken hand) he did barrack for Richmond. Sure he doesn't stir emotions nor win games off his own boot like Richo but to say he's not a Richmond man is crap. At the end of 2004 Richo had no chance of becoming captain because he couldn't control his on-field emotions needed by a captain and his goalkicking was unreliable.

Whoever out of the 4 was made captain wouldn't have made a difference to where we are now.

Many would make a very strong case that the Tigers' fortunes would not have been as bleak since.
Except Mike  :stupid lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo as good as a movie (Courier Mail)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 04:25:59 AM »
Richo as good as a movie
June 02, 2007 12:00am
Courier Mail

FORGET the cheesy promos from sports broadcasters promising to take you further inside the game than ever before.

If that's what you're after, grab a beer (and a box of tissues if you're the emotional type) and watch Tiger Matthew Richardson wage a one-man war with the Brisbane Lions tonight.

Forty-four players will be in the battle, but only Richo will take you on an armchair ride of every emotion football conjures.

If Richo's life were a movie, the advertising slogan could be "you'll laugh, you'll scream and you'll cry".

That's what he does to fans, every week. There is no more honest footballer in the competition. His pain is genuine when he misses a shot at goal; his anger at teammates who overlook his lead in favour of a shot at goal is just as real; and his disbelief at the umpires – well, no dictionary could explain bewilderment better.

Richardson is Richmond. He is its best player and has been since he walked into the place under the father-son rule in 1992. His dad Alan, known as "Bull", was a Tigers premiership player in 1967.

Matthew deserves to be held in the same regard, yet for some Richo bashing is a sport in itself. No fans bag their own more than the Tigers and no Tiger cops it more than Richo.

Yet he is a dual all-Australian and his career goals tally exceeds 700, ranking him alongside the very best.

But sit in the stands at the G and you could be mistaken for thinking he was a dud, not one of the hardest-working and most passionate footballers ever to pull on a jumper.

And after returning from a fractured eye socket inside six days last week, and not the six weeks his doctors advised, Richardson is also one of the most courageous.

And he didn't do it for a premiership. He did it for a side that hasn't won a game all year.

The Tigers have been desperate for success for 27 years and maybe the fans hold Richo responsible for never taking them to a grand final.

Now consider fellow father-son product Jonathan Brown, revered by all and loved by Lions people.

Brown has won three premierships, but was surrounded by superstars such as Voss, Lappin, Black, Lynch, Leppitsch and Michael.

Brown hasn't had to carry his side and, unlike the flourbag punts Richo is usually trying to mark, has been on the end of gift-wrapped silver service for most of his career.

So back to the movie.

Richo's role will change by the quarter. Only the final siren will decide if it was a comedy, Greek tragedy or a triumph over adversity. And whether the man in the No. 12 is the hero or villain.

And you at home will ride every moment with him.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21832902-5003410,00.html