Author Topic: Tigers eye better days / McRae takes aim at mates  (Read 855 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers eye better days / McRae takes aim at mates
« on: June 01, 2007, 03:47:06 AM »
Tigers eye better days
Andrew Hamilton
June 01, 2007 12:00am
Courier Mail

CRAIG McRae knows a thing or two about young footballers.

As a triple premiership player with the Brisbane Lions, he's also got a fair handle on what it takes to be successful.

Which is the perfect blend for his new role as an assistant coach at Richmond and although the Tigers are 0-9 he can see bright times ahead.

"When I packed my life and family up, I strongly believed the move was a positive one, and regardless of the results – we're zip and nine – I still believe that," he said.

McRae is in his first season as an assistant coach at Punt Rd, after a successful stint at the helm of Queensland's victorious state under-18s.

His brief with the Tigers is to oversee the development of the first- to fourth-year players.

Earlier this season Tigers senior coach Terry Wallace made a brave decision to opt for youth at the selection table – the unpopular call prompted veteran Darren Gaspar to immediately retire. It also cast the spotlight on McRae's band of youngsters.

"We are putting a lot of responsibility on them," McRae said. "It's on-the-job learning and I'd say they are 12 months ahead of schedule.

"We are getting them in for a taste of it and the ideal scenario is it fasttracks their development, but whatever time it takes."

The Tigers look headed for another top pick this year. The unfortunate thing is this year's draft is tipped to be a poor one, well short of the quality of last year's intake which included 11 Queenslanders from McRae's rep team plus a host of others who made their way on to rookie lists.

"Looking forward, this year there are only a couple of stand-outs," he said. "One is a ruckman and we desperately need a ruckman, so ideally the first pick for us would solve a lot of needs.

"The draft just gone was considered an exceptional draft, but time will tell."

McRae's star pupil is undoubtedly Brett Deledio, the club's top pick from the 2004 draft.

Add to the mix rising stars Andrew Raines, Shane Edwards and Richard Tambling and there is a core of Tiger cubs with bright futures.

Edwards in particular has impressed McRae.

"He is a likeable kid who is willing to learn, I've got a lot of time for him," he said.

But it is the players from the next rung down that could provide the most value, lower draft picks who come without expectation such as former Broadbeach Cat Luke McGuane.

"When I arrived there was debate about whether he would make it or not," McRae said. "But we threw him in there and he answered those questions.

"He started well and played the first six or seven games before his output dipped and we sent him back to the twos to regain his confidence. That is expected from kids, the good thing is he has shown us he can be a good league footballer."

McRae spent his entire career at Brisbane and the move to a traditional club like Richmond has been an eye opener.

Tigers fans are famous for bagging their own club, it seems a Richmond fan is never happy unless he is miserable and McRae has found the dynamics hard to adjust too.

"It is totally different, this place drips with history while at Brisbane we were creating our own history," he said. "The way people respond to Richmond was a major surprise, at Brisbane we had people trying to tear us apart because of our premiership success, but here it is different, it's amazing how people just like dipping the boot in the Tigers."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21825494-5003410,00.html
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 04:10:58 AM by one-eyed »

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers eye better days
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »
"We are putting a lot of responsibility on them," McRae said. "It's on-the-job learning and I'd say they are 12 months ahead of schedule.
This goes against all the "experts" in the media who say they are behind  ::).

"Looking forward, this year there are only a couple of stand-outs," he said. "One is a ruckman and we desperately need a ruckman, so ideally the first pick for us would solve a lot of needs.
That says if we get the first pick we are going after Kreuzer.

Tigers fans are famous for bagging their own club, it seems a Richmond fan is never happy unless he is miserable and McRae has found the dynamics hard to adjust too.

"It is totally different, this place drips with history while at Brisbane we were creating our own history," he said. "The way people respond to Richmond was a major surprise, at Brisbane we had people trying to tear us apart because of our premiership success, but here it is different, it's amazing how people just like dipping the boot in the Tigers."
After 25 years it's become a habit for some. The media are pretty keen on it too because it sells papers and bumps up ratings  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »

But Carlton are also desperate for a ruckman, despite picking up Hampson last year. If they win 4 or less, and get the priority pick (ie No. 1), then we probably won't get him. Go the blues!

This reminds me of the days when we were desperate for a ruckman, and traded down to get the new wonderboy....Brad Ottens

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:10:22 PM »

But Carlton are also desperate for a ruckman, despite picking up Hampson last year. If they win 4 or less, and get the priority pick (ie No. 1), then we probably won't get him. Go the blues!

This reminds me of the days when we were desperate for a ruckman, and traded down to get the new wonderboy....Brad Ottens
Well let's hope then that he stays away from gardening and climbing ladders ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McRae takes aim at mates (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:10:03 AM »
McRae takes aim at mates
02 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Bruce Matthews

PULLING up a chair in Richmond's coach's box will start a weird experience for Craig McRae at Telstra Dome tonight.

His job, as one of Terry Wallace's assistants, is to try to plot the downfall of several teammates he won three premierships with.

The 195-game Brisbane Lions forward wants nothing less than the Tigers' first win of the season, even if it is at the expense of old mates.

"It is a strange situation working through the week and talking about certain players and their strengths. It's hard not to talk up the strengths of Simon Black and the like. It has been a hard week in that regard," McRae said.

"David King is our opposition coach and he does a fantastic job. He knows the opposition as well as anybody, but I could assist if he had any questions."

McRae is in the first season of a two-year contract at Tigerland after moving his young family from Queensland to further his ambition of becoming an AFL coach.

"It's a step in the right direction to where I want to go. The last piece of the puzzle is getting the position on the ladder and that will come with time," he said.

"To work under Terry, who is a fantastic operator and a great planner. I played under Leigh Matthews and Robert Walls (at Brisbane) and Mark Williams when I first started at Glenelg in Adelaide. And now to be alongside Terry and learning can only stand me in good stead going forward."

McRae, 33, is one of the most recently retired players to become an assistant coach. And the group of young players under his command need look no further than their boss for an example of how fortunes can be rapidly reversed in football.

"I've been through it (losses) as a player. It was a tough time, but really satisfying to turn it around from being bottom in '98 to playing in Grand Finals in my last four years," he said.

"Richmond is heading in the right direction. This first nine or 10 games is, I suppose, a bit of a stalling point, but we're certainly capable of bigger things down the track. It takes time to fast-track players, especially with a young list."

In McRae's second year after joining the Lions as a clever left-footer from South Australia, senior coach John Northey operated with just one assistant at the Gabba.

But even the massive advances in coaching haven't amazed the triple premiership player as much as the Tigers' propensity to eat their own, a verbal cannibalism fuelled by a barren and luckless start to the season.

"In my time at Brisbane we were trying to find an identity and respect in the competition. Trying to develop our own culture and history, with no disrespect to the Fitzroy part of it," he said.

"At Richmond, there's 100 years of history. And I'm really amazed at people from outside the club who want to have a crack at the club, whether they're past players or people who are associated with the club who really want to get stuck into it. It has been a real eye-opener.

"Playing under Leigh Matthews you focused on not letting outside distractions affect the goals to get one premiership, then the second and third. Coming down here, it seems like day to day you need to have to bubble around you and to bounce off things."

McRae's specific role is development coach to prepare a group of 25 young Tigers for the demands at senior level. He used a sports psychologist to provide profiles on each player for a better understanding of them.

"I try to develop them as footballers, but also in their life skills. It's amazing the challenges. You might get it right with one or two players one week but there's always going to be weeks when there's a few down," he said.

So, how do you protect so many young players still feeling their way against the constant sniping, particularly from those who declare undying love for the club almost in the same sentence as the vitriol?

"I think it has been a real strength of the coaching staff and everyone associated with the club to avoid that.

"We haven't got the results on the field, but inside the club, we're determined to turn it around. We believe what we're about and that we're still going in the right direction," McRae said.

Those hot and heady days at the Gabba will seem like another life if the development coach has to report to work at what's sure to be a chilly Punt Road Oval on Monday morning, with Richmond still winless.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21834453%255E19742,00.html

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: McRae takes aim at mates (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:39:16 AM »
"At Richmond, there's 100 years of history. And I'm really amazed at people from outside the club who want to have a crack at the club, whether they're past players or people who are associated with the club who really want to get stuck into it. It has been a real eye-opener.

"Playing under Leigh Matthews you focused on not letting outside distractions affect the goals to get one premiership, then the second and third. Coming down here, it seems like day to day you need to have to bubble around you and to bounce off things."
After 25 years some egos/idiots never learn that they are the problem instead of the solution  :whistle.