Author Topic: Should there be extra-time if a game ends in a tie?  (Read 916 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Should there be extra-time if a game ends in a tie?
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:46:34 AM »
Wallace calls for extra time in AFL
June 2, 2007 - 11:19PM | The Age

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has rekindled the call for drawn AFL matches to be extended into extra time to provide a more satisfying result.

Players from both sides were clearly disappointed with the result and dropped their heads when the final siren sounded, and the pro-Richmond crowd of 28,093 was subdued given neither team had their song played.

Wallace suggested playing five minutes of extra time would provide supporters and sides with a more meaningful result.

"I've never been a great one for draws," he said.

"I think everyone feels lousy about them. I don't know what the (solution) is, whether you can play five minutes each way and get a result.

"I think that would be a better stand-out, then your crowd's in the game.

"Both crowds go away and (are) meant to be happy and (are) meant to be sad and I still like a result in a game of footy."

AFL pre-season games go to extra time if they are drawn, as do finals matches bar drawn grand finals, which are replayed.

Lions coach Leigh Matthews said he did not have an opinion on whether sides should play extra time, as he had never thought about it.

http://news.realfooty.com.au/wallace-calls-for-extra-time-in-afl/20072402-gbf.html

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Should there be extra-time if a game ends in a tie?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:05:45 AM »
Yeah Terry we have lost our first 9 and draw one and you want extra time to decide a game???????

Of course they have extra time in the NAB cup otherwise games will be replayed the following week and the start of the season will be put back. It adds another dimension to the competition the draw in terms of premiership points you could make the 8 miss out as we did in 1996 get a home final b/c of a draw. It can help and hinder a side but that is one of the quirks of our great game. How would a side feel coming from 4 goals down to draw and then only go to extra tme to lose. Don't tinker with it. If it aint broke do not fix it. Sure I felt hollow and empty at the Dome tonight but any negativity I may have towards anybody or anything would still be expressed even if we had finished one point ahead. Leave it alone.

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »
he wanted extra time because the other team was supposed to win his plans got stuffed up

Life goes on

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
Nice deflection once again Terry ::)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
NO !!!

TERRY SHUT YOUR FACE !!!

EVEN IF WE DID HAVE ANOTHER 1-2 MINUTES WE WOULD OF LOST IT OURSELFS !!!

LEAVE THE DRAW !

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:58:35 AM »
Richard Hinds | June 5, 2007 | The Age

The AFL said extra-time in the event of a drawn match is not an option it is considering. Richmond coach Terry Wallace called for extra-time after the Tigers drew with the Brisbane Lions.

"There is no move afoot to change the draw being two points each, it's a long-held tradition. By the same token, I can understand Terry's point of view," said AFL football operations manager, Adrian Anderson.

"I can see what he's saying, that to have a conclusion one way or the other and the additional excitement at the end (could be appealing) but there's no proposal to review it and it's not something that's cropped up to be looked at at this stage."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/afls-remedy-for-angry-fans/2007/06/04/1180809426066.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 03:01:19 AM »
Garry Lyon wants instead a soccer penalty-like shootout in the NAB Cup.

Lyon: draw on soccer's shootout
05 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Garry Lyon

BRING on the shootout for the 2008 NAB Cup, Garry Lyon writes.

Any drawn game during the pre-season competition should be resolved with a soccer-style shootout.

With the goalkicking woes that have beset almost every team in the competition this year, it would make for a dramatic and entertaining finale.

I would also advocate a "twist" in the shootout to make it even more interesting. Five players would be expected to take a shot at goal, 35m out, directly in front.

Four of those players would be nominated by their own team. One player, however, must be nominated by the opposition.

Imagine the Richmond and Brisbane Lions draw happening in the NAB Cup. Kane Johnson sends four players to the "spot" and the ground announcer's voice then booms over the ground: "And the Brisbane Lions have nominated . . . Matthew Richardson."

It would be sensational theatre. And when Nigel Lappin or Luke Power unexpectedly misses, leaving it up to Richo to kick the decider, the atmosphere would be fantastic. And I'm tipping he would drill it.

I'm not sure if it could work in a home-and-away game, but this resolution to a draw is tailor-made for the pre-season competition.

And who knows, maybe it could catch on.

If it's good enough to decide the soccer World Cup, the biggest sporting contest in the world, surely it's worthy of experimentation in our game.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21849854%255E19742,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »
Nah, would be happier with the 2 points  ;)

Offline Babsky

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »
How many times would extra time be played?  What if the score kept on tieing?  Would stalling for a tie then become part of a game strategy while key players caught their breath so they were freshher for the extra time?  Leave it alone - it you can't win it in a couple of hours then maybe you should be happy with the tie rather than risk a loss.  Don't know if the boys would have had the legs to carry any additional time Sat night anyway - they looked pretty buggered to me.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »
The NBA plays how many extra times needed to break the deadlock. In the NFL the winner is first team to score. World Cup soccer is likewise (a golden goal). I can't remember what they do in the NRL. I don't see any need for it in Aussie Rules. We only have 1 or 2 draws at the most per year out of 185 games. Ties occur far more in other spots so that's why they have extra time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd