Author Topic: Polak articles - Sat 9/6/07  (Read 1189 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak articles - Sat 9/6/07
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:04:33 AM »
Polak earns stripes at Tigers
Courtney Walsh
The Australian
June 09, 2007

RICHMOND'S Graham Polak and Fremantle's Chris Tarrant, the two key cogs in last year's biggest trade deal, have reason to cast each other a knowing smile when their paths cross at Subiaco Oval tomorrow.
Both can testify that the grass is definitely greener on the other side given their stellar starts to this season.

Polak, like Tarrant, has thrived from a sea change.

Tarrant, the former Magpie, raved recently about the soothing powers of the Indian Ocean on the drive to training at Fremantle Oval and has rediscovered the brilliance that earned him All Australian selection in 2003.

Polak sacrificed those same views for inner-city Melbourne, a capital he confessed to knowing little about other than the MCG shortly after the trade, but he has found form and confidence at his new home.

A former fan of Fremantle's famed cappuccino strip, Polak is revelling in the cafe culture of St Kilda and Prahran, the suburb in which he lives with girlfriend Alyce Oksuz.

"I'm happy with my lifestyle over here at the moment," he said. "I'm in Prahran and it's not too far away from anything, being just around the corner from Punt Road, so there's not far to travel to training every day.

"I probably head to Chapel Street a bit more than St Kilda, but I do head down to Ackland Street there for a bite to eat, just to get out and have a look around. There's some great food, great restaurants over here, so the majority of the nights we head out and have a feed down the street somewhere."

The former Docker, who turns 23 next Saturday, was guaranteed by Terry Wallace at trade time last year that he would be given every chance to establish himself, and Polak has grabbed his chance, and the ball, with both hands.

Although the Tigers are yet to win this season, Polak's marking ability and "soft hands" have delighted, with Wallace rating him in Richmond's top five players. He is averaging 6.4 marks a game, well above the average from his 73 games at Fremantle, and gathered a career high 25 disposals against Essendon a fortnight ago.

"I was pumped about that. It's the best I've started a year," he said.

"Terry's guarantee boosted me. He told me pre-season that, when I was talking about being traded, that he would give me a fair crack.

"I really liked that he was giving the other young guys a good crack in their first year, so that convinced me a fair bit, knowing that I was going to get a go down back and firm up a position."

At Fremantle, Polak struggled as a result of high expectations and an inability to maintain consistent form.

He was the first key position player picked, at No.4, in the outstanding 2001 draft behind superstars Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd.

But as a maturing tall, Polak was always going to take longer to deliver than the first three, a point made regularly by Dockers coach Chris Connolly.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21874412-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak rates as more than handy (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:05:53 AM »
Polak rates as more than handy
09 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

NATHAN Brown has been playing at AFL level for 11 seasons. No teammate in that time, he says, has had cleaner hands than Graham Polak.

Brown said so at a team meeting at Punt Rd on the eve of the 2007 season and has had the view reinforced during the first 10 rounds.

"I had to get up and tell the players what I thought of them and I said he's got the best pair of hands I've seen of people I've played with," Brown recalled yesterday.

"He doesn't drop any and his courage going back with the flight into the unknown is unquestioned."

Polak is averaging 6.5 marks a game and has taken 14 contested marks, second at Richmond to Matthew Richardson and top 20 in the competition.

Brown, who has played 177 games with the Western Bulldogs and Richmond, said he had been amazed by Polak's marking efficiency since his arrival from Perth late last year.

"Early in my career, I thought Chris Grant's hands were fantastic, and Brad Johnson has been fantastic for his size."

Polak was understandably flattered by the Brown assessment.

"Yeah, he said that. Coming from him, it's great.

"That's what I pride myself on; I back myself in. My coaches have always told me to back myself in: 'If you think you can mark it, go for it'."

Polak said he honed his marking skills as the youngest and smallest of four boys growing up in Geraldton and Perth.

"Being so small (at the time), I tried harder."

Brown said Polak's development had been exciting. "He could be a very special player for Richmond."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21874434%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak: I hope they abuse me (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:08:05 AM »

Earning his stripes: Graham Polak is thriving away from the Perth spotlight. Picture: Michael Klein

Polak: I hope they abuse me
09 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

GRAHAM Polak is understandably excited about returning to Perth this weekend, but it would be wrong to automatically assume homesickness.

Nine months after moving to the other side of the continent, Polak is thriving at Richmond, loving Melbourne (the city).

No, he was keen to get back to Perth as part of the visiting team in the cauldron known as Subiaco Oval.

Unlike many players facing their original club for the first time, particularly at the old home, Polak hardly could wait to board the plane yesterday.

"I'm stoked about it, really cannot wait," he said.

"I know I'll be nervous when I get there, but I'll be lapping it up once I'm out there (on the ground).

"I hope I get a bit of abuse, I really do. Once I get out there, I'm probably a different bloke."

Polak, traded by Fremantle to Richmond last year, will line up against his old team for the first time tomorrow afternoon.

The anticipated crowd of 40,000-plus will include his mother, Judy, his three brothers, Troy, Chad and Dion, and the extended family.

Troy was listed at North Melbourne in the early 1990s, but never made a senior appearance, unable to wrest a key forward position from a couple of kids named Carey and Longmire.

The Polaks are half-brothers, sons of the late Don Polak, who played 49 games for East Perth.

He died of a heart attack at 40 when Graham, the youngest of four boys, was 10 and living in Geraldton.

Polak, who turns 23 next week, says he misses the family but is happy at Richmond and in Melbourne.

He says it was time to move after the huge expectations that accompanied him to Freo and an unfulfilled five seasons.

"I didn't think things were going up there, I needed to get out of the state. Not just go to the Eagles; start afresh."

Part of the problem for Polak was the fact he was taken at No. 4 in the 2001 national draft. Behind Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd.

Simplistic though it may be, the kid who followed Hodge, Ball and Judd in the draft simply had to be a star.

Polak knew his time was up at Freo after managing just 11 of a possible 25 games in 2006. Compounding his frustration was the fact he was an emergency eight times in the last 12 weeks and had to watch the preliminary final in Sydney from the grandstand.

Richmond, keen on him for more than 12 months, finally convinced him to move during a meeting in Grand Final week last year.

"They made my decision to leave a lot easier. They were really keen to give me a go," Polak said.

Coach Terry Wallace was adamant Polak needed nothing more than a change of scenery and a show of faith, and he got both.

After 10 games this year, everyone is happy. Polak has played every game and, after Nathan Foley and Joel Bowden, probably has been as good as anyone at Tigerland.

Both Richmond and Carlton had been keen on him, but the enthusiasm of Wallace and football operations manager Paul Armstrong, and the family links with director of football Greg Miller from Troy's time at Arden St, clinched the deal.

"He (Wallace) really seemed like a guy who I wanted to play under," Polak said.

"I just thought it's a really good young list here and I could see us going up. Obviously it hasn't worked out as yet, but I haven't lost any faith; I can still see a bright future.

"I'm loving it here; haven't missed home much at all."

He lives in Prahran with his girlfriend from Perth, Alyce Oksuz.

Polak is happy with his progress. His marking is as sound as ever, his kicking continues to improve. He is proud of a return of 5.3 from his limited time forward and wants to spend more time there in future.

At 193cm and 93kg, with his hands, it's a reasonable aim. Certainly, there's a hole there.

Polak's move also helped give him a fresh start after an occasionally wayward life in Perth.

As one of his mates said: "He could cut loose every now and then."

He is reluctant to look back.

When the subject of "the past" was raised, he said: "I don't want to go into it (nervous chuckle). Everyone mucks up . . . a few people more than others."

He describes himself as a "pretty quiet bloke, pretty shy at times, very friendly, (I) like a good laugh, never really one to put people down."

He is full of praise for Fremantle player welfare manager, former Collingwood player Leigh Walker.

He describes Walker as "one of those guys you can always talk to and they make you feel good. Pick you up when you feel down."

Walker said: "Basically, I just took him under the wing, not only him, but a number of young guys with the programs we put in place. Michael Johnson was one of them.

"I think he was just a quiet kid who was finding his way. He had his challenges in front of him, but he always seemed to try and do the right thing. Like most people, everyone has their flaws."

Perhaps it's no surprise Polak's idols were Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett, and Ablett drew most of the Polak family to Geelong.

"Tucky (teammate Shane Tuck, Ablett's nephew) tells me a few stories about him.

"I played on 'Duck' (Carey) when he first got to Adelaide. It was one of the highlights of my career."

One senses there are few more to come.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21874433%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak primed for Subiaco return (ABC)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
Polak primed for Subiaco return
Sunday, 10 June 2007. 12:05 (AEST)
abc.net.au

Richmond Tigers recruit Graham Polak says he is excited by the challenge of taking on his old club Fremantle at Subiaco Oval this afternoon.

The Tigers defender left the Dockers during the summer and has since cemented a place in the Richmond side.

Polak says he cannot wait to face his former team-mates today.

"[It will] be a great challenge whoever I play on, or wherever I get will be just a thrill to be out there," Polak said.

"I'm that excited about the game that it's probably one at the start of the year that I earmarked and looked down at the fixtures

"
[I'm] really excited and I can't wait to get over there and have a good crack at them."

Tigers coach Terry Wallace moved to played down the significance of Polak's return to face the Dockers, and said the young defender's knowledge of Fremantle was not an advantage for Richmond.

"I don't think it makes a huge difference, you might ask a couple of questions about how big is a bloke's motor or something like that," Wallace said.

"All clubs are all over each other now in their style of play and what they do and what they don't do.

"[We] may try to get a couple of little insights but that's about where it sits."

Fremantle will be hoping to bounce back quickly from the narrow loss to Collingwood at the MCG last weekend, while Richmond are still looking for their first win of the season after the dramatic draw with Brisbane.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200706/1947141.htm?melbourne[/list]

Ramps

Re: Polak articles - Sat 9/6/07
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
I think we should all thank freo for giving us a 10 year CHB.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »
I think we should all thank freo for giving us a 10 year CHB.

If we were having a half-decent season he would be in AA contention, Foley as well IMHO

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »
Well done to Polly today against his old side. 24 possies, 15 marks. Apart from one bad mistake was good again.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
Anyone who thinks we made a mistake with this trade is either:

1. delluded

2. Bitter and twisted

3. got rocks in their heads

or.........

4. all of the above

:gotigers

Great pick up for the RFC like ramps I send my thanks to Freo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
didnt they have a kid called Murphy...he looked quite capable 12 months ago...wheres he at the moment? I know he was a forward but with Richo getting on and Schulz not showing much, you never know your luck.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »
didnt they have a kid called Murphy...he looked quite capable 12 months ago...wheres he at the moment? I know he was a forward but with Richo getting on and Schulz not showing much, you never know your luck.
Ryan Murphy has been playing in the WAFL for South Freo. He played in round 1 for Freo but was dropped after just having one kick. He's currently leading goalkicker in the WAFL with 23 goals from 8 games.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/team_info.cgi?player=Ryan%20Murphy&action=PSTATS&pID=125216904&client=1-2393-0-49803-4320171
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
Anyone who thinks we made a mistake with this trade is either:

1. delluded

2. Bitter and twisted

3. got rocks in their heads

or.........

4. all of the above