Author Topic: Midseason player review  (Read 1095 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Midseason player review
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:49:30 AM »
Halfway through the season in the middle of a week off is as good a time as any to do a player review.

Gas has/was retired while Browny, Cogs, Knobel and Hall haven't been able to get on the park due to long-term injury. Simmo, Paddy, Peterson, Hartigan and Casserly have hardly played either.

What are your thoughts on how each of the others has performed so far this year?

For those who have seen a few Coburg matches perhaps a comment on how our cubs there are doing too. 

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Midseason player review
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »
Foley, Polak, Lids, Richo probably only players that have done any good IMO

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:25:41 PM »
think joel and blingers have been pretty good too

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Newy - 6.
Probably started off so-so (fair enough too coming back from a broken leg) but has hit his straps again the last couple of weeks.

Lids - 7.
Expectations are high but he is coming along nicely. Still finding a hard tag difficult to break but apart from that he's becoming a more important player for us by the week with his breaking of the lines.

Raines - 6. First month was average but seems to have rediscovered his 2006 form in the past few weeks.

Polak - 8. Thank you Freo. All that needs to be said  ;D.

Jack - 1.
Was starring at Coburg in the first 7 weeks but perhaps the long season is starting to pinch as he was caught behind a few times on the weekend.

Edwards - 4.
Only got a low mark due to his limited gametime and possession count. Been the most impressive IMO of our 2006 draftees so far.

Joel - 8.
Joel as solid as ever. Only beaten thrice off the top of my head - Rocca, Geelong nightmare and Pav.

Richo - 8.
He's Richo.

Polo - 4.
Has a good game then cops an injury. Quiet since his return from a shoulder whic he needs surgery on at the end of the year.

Pettifer - 5.
Came out of the blocks round 1 then on thin ice most weeks due to poor form. Much better on the weekend.

Sugar - 5
I'm guessing he'd like to start the year again after kicking the ball the wrong way with his first kick of the year lol followed by a breaking a bone in his hand against the Pies.

Kingsley - 2.
Missed the first 8 weeks with an ankle. Did okay against the Dons but poor the past 2 games.

Tuck - 5.
Gets plenty of it and his kicking is horrible.

Meyer - 1.
Has all the tricks and skills but workrate is too inconsistent to get the footy to use them. That's at both AFL and VFL level.

Jacko - 4.
Has he finally found a position as our tagger?! Decision making still needs to improve as shown on the weekend.

Schulz - 3.
Needs to do more. His goalkicking has been off too for someone who use to be a fairly reliable set shot.

Patto - 4.
Been fighting out of his weight division all year with not much help. Improving

Krak - 3.
28 disposals for Coburg on the weekend. If only he could get his hands on the footy at AFL level.

JON - 1.
Question his kicking and decision making skills at both levels.

Tambo - 5.
Improving and coming along nicely. Getting nailed and hurting his shoulder slowed him down for a couple of weeks but he was back on his game against Freo.

Hyde - 4.
Like a few Tigers, down on previous years' output.

Tivs - 5.
First few games were the best he's played in a while but fell away after that and was dropped. Still 4th in average disposals at Richmond.

Hughes - 2.
Kicked a couple of 3ers and then dropped after one ineffectual game. Was a late change for Tivs on the weekend.

White - 3
Been good at Coburg and has had two spurts of 2 games. Persist with.

Thursty - 4.
Just great to see him back playing over the past month.

McGuane - 3.
Started the year well in defence which in turn lead to Gas retirement but fell away straight afterwards and was dropped after round 7.

Moore - 2.
Started the year in the side but after 3 games found himself out of the team. Not good signs for him.

Foley - 9.
Leading our B&F by a mile. Our only genuine ballwinning midfielder.

Howat - 4.
Started the year off poorly but since returning against Port Adelaide has done okay.

King - 7.
Impressive debut for the Club holding down a back pocket.

The rest are either injured or haven't seen enough Coburg games to judge.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »
think joel and blingers have been pretty good too

Oops, they should be in the list as well

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »
Newy - 5.5.
HAs come back well from the leg but his disposal continues to worry me

Lids - 7.
Obviously struggles with a tag but learning. Has had a couple of super games - needs to be more consistent

Raines - 5.5 Showing signs of getting back into form (thank goodness) first 6 weeks were average to OK

Polak - 8.5 -Great get it would seem. The fact that the likes of sooky Lyon and Caro aren't complaining about him must mean it's working ;D

Jack - 3.5.
WIP - shows some good signs but I reckon he found the step up from thr VFL to AFL is a tad bit bigger than what he thought. Will be OK

Edwards - 5.
Exciting to watch when in full flight which I've seen at Coburg. Long term will be good - actually a gem. Read: he is a footballer and has the smarts to prove it

Joel - 7.5.
Solid and keeps the back 6  together.

Richo - 9.
Gotta love him. :thumbsup Could we have another 10 of him please :pray

Polo - 5.
Seems to be struggling with confidence this year. Think the shoulders worse than they are letting on

Pettifer - 4.
Better this week against Freo but been disappointing

Sugar - 5
Struggling with form

Kingsley - 3.5.
Doing what he bought to the club to do. Have you noticed since Kent's been in the side Richo isn't copping 2-3 defenders all the time

Tuck - 4.5.
Disposal is the problem and as bg25 said to me in Perth he is missing Cogs because now he cops the 2nd mid field tag and doesn't like or cope with it. Form shows that

Meyer - 1.
Crunch time for Danny - show some pasion son please. Actually show anything

Jacko - 3.5.
This jury is still out especially after his decision making against Freo is being a good tagger enough?

Schulz - 4.
I'm a Schulz fan but geesh he's let me down this year

Patto - 4.5
Heart as big as the MCG and considering what he's been up against he's done alright

Krak - 3.5
See above Danny Meyer - crunch time for Krak

JON - 4.
Confidence is the issue here I reckon

Tambo - 6.5.
Coming along well - I think Richie's improved alot this season

Hyde - 3.
Disposal and decision making (the key theme at the RFC). Needs to know when to take themon and when yo go with the first option

Tivs - 5.5
has been consistent in the roles he's been given

Hughes - 3.5.
Above the shoulders is what need work + the defensive side to his game. Just doesn't seem to work hard enough when he hasn't got the ball

White - 4
Will be good. Just needs to work in the consistency

Thursty - 5.
Considering the injury he's coming back from - been good

McGuane - 3.5
Struggled the past few weeks. Can see improvement though

Moore - 2.
Been disappointing.

Foley - 9.5
Been the shinignlight at Tigerland so far in 2007

Howat - 4.5
Has been worked out by the opposition - to one sided

King - 7.5
No great surprise to me  ;D

Casserley 3.5
Looks great when he is on the park. Problem is aint on there enough

Connors 5
Gotta be close to debuting. Looks good

Hartigan 3
See Casserley

Peterson 2
Early days but skills look great

Clingan 2
WIP

Graham 3.5
Marked improvement in Gus this year. Big decision for the club at the end of the season

Simmonds 2.5
Just get on the park please

Brown 2
Should be right for the Dees

Collins
Can't not mark as I haven't seen him
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »
King - 7.5
No great surprise to me  ;D

Got a keen eye for talent their WP, seen any more diamonds in the rough  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:44:26 PM »

Got a keen eye for talent their WP, seen any more diamonds in the rough  :thumbsup

Actually there are a coupleof kids running around for Coburg that show some promise.

I reckon their size is the thing against them.

One is Ryan Anderson - only 74kgs but a real ball magnet with good skills

Also like the look of ANdrew Horne -again another one who's only 75kgs but shows a lot of promise. Ditto Myles Sewell

I was pleased to see Josh Riddle back last week in the Coburg Ressies for his 2nd game. More solid than the other 2. Was playing as a key backman against a taller opponent and held his own really well. Again good skills

Like the look of Fort Caruso too! All 172cm and 70kgs of him ;D Little mongrel he is  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »

One is Ryan Anderson - only 74kgs but a real ball magnet with good skills

Sorry WP but I beat you to him  ;)

Ando is a gun, shame he wasn't drafted last year, not even rookied  :banghead

Went to school with him and IMO would make a great player.

Super quick, actually that is a understatement, FREAK, ROADRUNNER QUICK

He has got good allround skills, could do with a bit more polish with his kicking, and is a natural ruck rover. Knows where to run to and when he gets the ball KNOWS WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

:pray Ando come to Punt Rd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
Graham 3.5
Marked improvement in Gus this year. Big decision for the club at the end of the season
A lot will depend on what we do in trade week and who we think we'll pick up in the draft. A number of young ruckmen on offer this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »
Graham 3.5
A lot will depend on what we do in trade week and who we think we'll pick up in the draft. A number of young ruckmen on offer this year.

Think Gus is worth holding on to, saw him slot a beautiful set shot on a tight angle 45 out. Has a bit but is still raw.