Author Topic: Mid-season reports  (Read 3704 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mid-season reports
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:26 AM »
Mid-season report
John Salvado | June 13, 2007 - 9:50PM | The Age

RICHMOND (16th; 0-10-1)

Positives: Perhaps surprisingly for a team that has yet to sing the club song in 2007, there have been some positives for the Tigers. Nathan Foley leads the league in centre clearances, Graham Polak has been a revelation in his first season since crossing from Fremantle, and for the umpteenth year, Matthew Richardson continues to give his all.

Negatives: Yes, Troy Simmonds and Nathan Brown have been sorely missed. But that's hardly a valid excuse for failing to win a single game in half a season. And the 157-point drubbing by Geelong in round six will surely go down as the most pitiful performance of the year by any club.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/midseason-report/2007/06/13/1181414377635.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:24:31 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Mid-season reports - AFL site has given us a C
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Mid-season report: Richmond
2:49 PM Fri 15 June, 2007
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=45097

Overall mark: C

* Says apart from the Geelong game we've been competitive for long periods of matches without being able to get over the line.

* Foley leading our B&F. Joel, Lids and Polak also having a good season.

* Best game - Brisbane because we got at least 2 points.

* Best goal - Jacko's pipped Newy's.

* Surprise packets - Polak and King

* Coaches award - King followed by Foley and Polo

* Second half of 2007 - will we win a game: will Browny return: it's all about the kids.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Mid-season reports - AFL site has given us a C
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »
Mid-season report: Richmond
2:49 PM Fri 15 June, 2007
By Jason Phelan
afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=45097

Overall mark: C

* Says apart from the Geelong game we've been competitive for long periods of matches without being able to get over the line.

* Foley leading our B&F. Joel, Lids and Polak also having a good season.

* Best game - Brisbane because we got at least 2 points.

* Best goal - Jacko's pipped Newy's.

* Surprise packets - Polak and King

* Coaches award - King followed by Foley and Polo

* Second half of 2007 - will we win a game: will Browny return: it's all about the kids.

Lol we got a C, according to the new Victorian Education system we are right on track, no better no worse than any other team  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
It's not all yellow and bleak
16 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

IT WAS a sign of things to come: Kane Johnson won the ball at the opening bounce of the opening round ... and kicked it the wrong way.

The season was off to an embarrassing start for Richmond and its skipper, and has gone downhill from there.

At the halfway mark the Tigers are last on the ladder with two premiership points, the worst start to a season in their 100-year history.

They are one of only 27 teams in VFL-AFL history to fail to win a game in the first 11 rounds.

Most recently, it was Fremantle in 2001. Before that, Sydney in 1993. Freo dumped coach Damian Drum before the 2001 season ended, as Sydney had done with Gary Buckenara in '93.

Richmond isn't going to follow suit with Terry Wallace, yet there are plenty of long-suffering members and supporters who want him brought to account.

Commentators, talkback callers and letter writers, too. Wallace is a protected species, they say. Looked after by his media mates.

The major problem for Wallace is that his club won 10 and 11 games in his first two seasons, prompting high expectations this year.

The problem, though, for those agitating for change is, is that he is only halfway through a five-year agreement. Wallace and director of football Greg Miller are a partnership, and it's a formidable union.

Despite the bleak situation on the field there is unity off the field. Or, if there's not, it is being kept in-house.

The supporter base (membership almost 30,000) seems to be coping better than it usually does.

Injuries to Nathan Brown, Troy Simmonds and Mark Coughlan represent a credible alibi, and there have been creditable performances.

Richmond led by three goals or more in four of the losses: to Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Fremantle.

Who knows what might have followed had the Tigers finished off their work after leading Carlton by 30 points five minutes into the third quarter of the opening game?

There's got to be a reasonable measure of talent in the group if it can lead Sydney early in the last quarter and be on terms with West Coast and Adelaide late in the game.

The only sense of achievement so far this year, though, came in the draw against the Brisbane Lions, and that was hollow, given the wasted opportunities.

Bottom line, Richmond is winless and seems a long way off the pack.

How much weight do we attach to injuries when every club is afflicted to some degree?

Basically, injuries always cut deeper at the bottom teams where depth is a problem.

The Tigers are without their best ruckman (Simmonds), their most brilliant forward (Brown) and their premier midfielder (Coughlan).

Brown, you may remember, was up and running, ready to start the season on schedule when he developed a "hot spot" in the leg so badly broken in 2005.

He was named in the team to play Carlton in the first round yet still hasn't played a senior game.

For whatever it's worth, Richmond was 7-2 and third on the ladder in 2005 when Brown was hurt.

Coughlan, the 2003 best-and-fairest winner, has played 12 games in 18 months; Simmonds, one of the three best ruckman in the competition last year, has laboured through four appearances this year.

The query from the outside looking in is that the Tigers always look vulnerable, even when they seem healthy on the scoreboard.

They have a rare capacity to lose control of the ball when all in black and yellow are storming forward.

When their disposal skills fail them, the opposition makes them pay.

It doesn't seem there's the required level of endeavour when they are in defensive mode, either.

Richmond ranks 15th for tackles. By extension, their opposition has been able to make the Tigers pay dearly for turnovers.

On the credit side, Nathan Foley has been a star. Not just for Richmond, but in the competition.

He is fifth for hardball gets and seventh for contested possessions. Yet another ringing endorsement of the rookie list.

While the decision to give up No. 8 in the national draft for a bloke deemed by Freo as expendable was queried, and rightly so, the Graham Polak deal has been successful.

He turns 23 today, now has 84 games to his name, and is blossoming as a key defender at Punt Rd.

Chris Newman has made an admirable comeback after such a serious leg injury and there is much to like about Brett Deledio's work in the past month.

Throw in the continuing development of Andrew Raines and Richard Tambling, the consistency of Shane Tuck, the return of Will Thursfield, and glimpses from Cleve Hughes and there is a bit of gold in what has been a depressingly black picture.

The direction is set. Or should be.

Wallace was seen to imply on the eve of the season that Richmond's best might not be produced on a sustained basis until 2011.

He must stay faithful to the philosophy. The one saving grace about bottoming out is there is only one way to go.

He has to follow the Hawthorn model: taking the best of the biggest youngsters in the draft.

He must hold his nerve, despite the pressure.

Wallace is one of football's more intriguing figures. Has been since his playing days at Hawthorn, the days of leather pants and red sports cars. Everyone has an opinion on him; much of it cynical.

His ill-considered decision to walk out on the Bulldogs late in 2002 and subsequent links to the Swans hurt him badly, and, it seems, he still hasn't been forgiven.

By the Bulldogs collectively, and by much of the football public.

That's why the lust for blood needs perspective.

With Richmond floundering on the bottom of the ladder, he stands accused of stuffing up, of poor list management.

While it's true he was central to decisions to recruit Mark Graham from Hawthorn in the 2004 national draft and Kent Kingsley from Geelong in the pre-season draft this year, it simply is wrong to accuse the Tigers of assembling a Dad's Army in recent years.

The more relevant query on Richmond's recruiting should be the quality (and size) of its selections in the national drafts.

Since Wallace's appointment late in 2004, the only recycling has been the exchange of Aaron Fiora for Simmonds, the selection of the veteran Graham at No. 65, giving up a late draft choice for Patrick Bowden, and trading No. 8 for Polak. Kingsley came for nought.

Fifteen untried youngsters, starting with Deledio and Tambling, have been secured in that time.

Yes, Tambling was chosen ahead of Lance Franklin, but who was to know Franklin would be a superstar? There were those at Hawthorn who had reservations, although they're hard to find these days.

It also happens that Tambling has played 43 matches at age 20 and yet may vindicate his selection at No. 4.

The relevant queries on Wallace this year are the decision to virtually force Darren Gaspar into retirement after five rounds, the failure to give Danny Meyer more than one game at a time, Jack Riewoldt's solitary appearance at senior level and the selection of Kingsley when the future was all that was left to play for.

Kingsley was unlucky to be injured before the season started, but there doesn't seem much point playing a man rising 29 when a team is winless after eight rounds.

I'm not quite sure why, but I'm tipping an exciting second half of the year for the Tigers.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21912007%255E20322,00.html

Life goes on

Re: Mid-season reports
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »
Can tell you why he is tipping an exciting second half of the year.
He is in love with Plough.
And after talking to Mark Stevens from the age last week, he thinks Plough is god as well. ::)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Richo's courage, playing after fracturing his eye socket and nose.  Surely that deserves a +

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
And after talking to Mark Stevens from the age last week, he thinks Plough is god as well. ::)

MArk Stevens writes for the HUN Jack - but what does it matter  ;D

I actually think it is one of the more balanced articles Mike's written about Richmond over the last 5- 6 years.

And I believe he covers everything well - dare I say it he seems to have stuck to the FACTS  :clapping

:rollin

:gotigers :gotigers

And I do agree I reckon our 2nd half of the year will be better than the 1st - we will win within the next 3 weeks  :bow :clapping :cheers ;D :gotigers
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 11:27:01 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Life goes on

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »

MArk Stevens writes for the HUN Jack - but what does it matter  ;D

I actually think it is one of the more balanced articles Mike's written about Richmond over the last 5- 6 years.

And I believe he covers everything well - dare I say it he seems to have stucj to the FACTS  :clapping

:gotigers :gotigers

And I do agree I reckon our 2nd half of the year will be better than the 1st - we will win within the next 3 weeks  :bow :clapping :cheers ;D :gotigers

Yeah, get the papers mixed up all the time ::)
Mike  reckons that we will have an exciting 2nd part of the season.
I reckon we will struggle to win a game, who is right and who is wrong, a journalist or me.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Mike  reckons that we will have an exciting 2nd part of the season.
I reckon we will struggle to win a game, who is right and who is wrong, a journalist or me.

What about me  ;D

We will know in 12 weeks :thumbsup

Life goes on

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
I reckon we could win one, would love to see the tiges win 10 games but thats with my heart, reality says we will struggle and fall away towards the end again.
Also everyone expects that Simmo and Brown will make a difference, reality is that both are very undone and will have little impact, Simmo especially.. Brown will be able to pitch hit out of a pocket although opposition rebounders will expose him big time.

Moi

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
Can't wait until you get some self-esteem, you might just really tell us what's what  ::)
If we haven't won a game in the first half, gee how much wisdom would it take to think we might not win many in the second half?

Your ego is out of control, Jack  :chuck

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
Actually if we end up winning some games - I will be ducking for cover because we will be bombarded with people complaining that we've done the wrong thing and lost the number 1 draft pick :rollin

Life goes on

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
Can't wait until you get some self-esteem, you might just really tell us what's what  ::)
If we haven't won a game in the first half, gee how much wisdom would it take to think we might not win many in the second half?

Your ego is out of control, Jack  :chuck

Nothing to do with Ego.
Its only my opinion, if you dont like it bad luck
And furthermore other clubs respect my opinion, that is a fact , like it or not, thats your problem.
And furthermore, best thing I ever did was walk away from the RFC.
Wasnt going to put up with people who think they are special and walk on water. Eg David Kings of this world. etc.
I would love to spill my guts on what I know but you wouldnt beleive me anyway as most supporters thing we are headed in the right direction, eg If you think the drafting of Kent Kingsley for example is heading in the right direction, you all are on drugs. Geelong are still laughing! lets all move on.

Life goes on

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »
And Moi, fact of the matter, you cant win a game.

Moi

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
And furthermore, best thing I ever did was walk away from the RFC.