Author Topic: Browny's comeback [merged]  (Read 2920 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny to play Friday night - official
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »
Well it's official. Browny is playing. Terry has announced it today.

* Plough said it is unreasonably to think Browny is the difference between winning and losing. We just want him to be a contributor in these early games back. He's worth his spot in the 22 with his natural abilities and skill. That's a starting point and we'll build from there.

* Browny would have loved to come in straight back into the seniors. Every club does it differently (Riccuito didn't play SANFL). However because of the problems Browny's had we needed to make sure he's right - extended the number of training sessions and VFL in incremental bits.

* We rested Browny over the weekend as it would have been 3 games in 12 days for him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Nathan Brown excited about AFL return (AAP)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 04:49:10 PM »
Nathan Brown excited about AFL return
AAP
June 19, 2007 - 4:35PM

Star Richmond forward Nathan Brown has been pushing his case for a return to AFL action for the past two weeks, but the club had resisted. Until now.

Coach Terry Wallace confirmed Brown will be in the Tigers line-up on Friday night against Melbourne at the MCG.

It will be the 29-year-old's first home and away game since round 17 last year.

"It's a pleasing day for the footy club. We have had a pretty horrid run this season with where we've been at," Wallace said.

Brown's 2006 season ended prematurely because of hamstring trouble, but he appeared set for a strong year after some good form in the pre-season.

However, a stress reaction in his right leg, which was broken in a horrific collision with Melbourne's Matthew Whelan in 2005, has kept him from the field for the opening half of the season.

Instead of an immediate return, the Tigers brought Brown back through the club's VFL affiliate Coburg, where he played two games.

Brown said the leg had been pain-free for the past month and he was excited to finally be back, given the frustrations of the injury and watching his team suffer loss after loss.

"All the doctors are telling me all the signs are pointing in the right direction and hopefully for a few more years yet I can play some good football," Brown said.

"It's been a long time to get it pain-free and hopefully it stays that way now.

"I believe we are a lot better football club than where our ladder position sits at the moment and hopefully towards the end of the season we can show some people and start getting some real respect back."

Wallace expected Brown to be more of a contributor than match-winner in the first few weeks of his comeback, while Brown was "pretty keen" to show everyone he was capable of again playing at his best.

"It's not as if he hasn't done it for 12 months. What we saw in the lead-up to the season was really positive," Wallace said.

"It may take him a few weeks to find his footing - he's really almost going through another mini pre-season period - so expectations from our end certainly aren't too high but we reckon the time is right for him to start now."

When at the Western Bulldogs, Brown won All-Australian selection in 2001 and 2002.

In 2005, he kicked 34 goals through 10 rounds for Richmond and was in career-best form before breaking his leg.

Brown, who will wear a pair of custom-made boots with extra padding, expected to be used in short spurts off the bench against the Demons as he worked back towards full fitness.

"It would be silly to play a full game," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Nathan-Brown-excited-about-AFL-return/2007/06/19/1182019101248.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Browny to play Friday night
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »
Brown back for Tigers
4:18 PM Tue 19 June, 2007
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au

TIGERS star Nathan Brown is confident he can return to top form despite having played just 10 games in the past two years. The forward returns from injury this week to play his first senior game of the year, a Friday night MCG clash with Melbourne.

“I can get back to where I was. I’m pretty keen to show everyone and my teammates as well to give them that confidence,” Brown said.

“I don’t have huge expectations of kicking bags of goals or anything. I just want to do my job in making sure that we’ll get over the line… I wouldn’t be at full fitness like I was pre-season but hopefully the two games have given me a bit more fitness. Hopefully I can get back to full fitness in the next few weeks but I’m not far off.”

Coach Terry Wallace backed up the 29-year-old’s claim but insisted that it would take time for Brown to get to his peak.

“It’s only 11 or 12 weeks ago that he was playing really good football during the practice series. It’s not as it he hasn’t played well for 12 months,” Wallace said.

“What we saw in the lead-up to the season was very positive. It may take him a few weeks to find his footing. He’s almost going through another mini pre-season period so expectations aren’t too high.”

However Brown says he won’t play the full four quarters against the Demons.

“It would be silly to play a full game," he said. "Everyone wants to get out there and play a full game but whatever is best for the team. [I'll] probably in shorter spurts on and off to get the best out of myself.”

Brown says after two games in the VFL, he is relishing the prospect of playing senior footy again at the weekend.

“I’m really excited, it’s been a long time … It’s come a bit late. I would have rather be in there from round one but it hasn’t worked out that way. I’m just looking forward to the second half of the year,” Brown said.

“It’s been frustrating to watch the side all year… to be losing by small margins each week and not being able to be out there and make a difference. You see how frustrated the boys are and how frustrated the fans are and I believe we’re a lot better football club than where our ladder position sits at the moment. Hopefully towards the end of the season we can start showing people [we are better than that] and get some respect back.”

Teammate Richard Tambling, who has just signed a new three-year contract with the club, says the players are looking forward to having Brown back.

“It’s exciting, we can’t wait to get back out there with him. It’s exciting the vibrancy he brings to the players and the club,” Tambling said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=45235

Ox

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »
It actually doesn't matter how he plays provided he subjects himself to some hard running and a couple of physical contests
,In fact the true answer lies in how the
leg feels Saturday-Sunday.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »
Browny will be up against Whelan too again.
Brown, who will wear a pair of custom-made boots with extra padding
They are obviously still worried about the hot-spot reoccurring and not sure yet what will happen after a whole game of 110 mins even if Browny is played on and off the bench.

I've got a feeling Browny will start on the ground just for team morale sake.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
It actually doesn't matter how he plays provided he subjects himself to some hard running and a couple of physical contests
,In fact the true answer lies in how the
leg feels Saturday-Sunday.

Absolutely ())( :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown's return eclipses young star's deal (The Age)
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »
Brown's return eclipses young star's deal
Samantha Lane | June 20, 2007 | The Age

RICHMOND may have no wins, but it still has Terry Wallace and Nathan Brown. Which is a good thing because when the once separated, since reunited, couple sit side-by-side at a press conference, it invariably spells good news. Certainly, on such occasions, there never will be any shortage of goodwill between the talking heads.

Yesterday's episode of "Tuesdays with Terry", the club's weekly showcasing of the coach, was actually Tuesday with Terry, Nathan and Richard.

Richard Tambling was present because he'd just signed a new three-year deal, and Brown was called in to discuss his return to senior footy — something that will occur in two days after nearly 11 months of waiting for his broken leg to properly mend. On any other day in a winless season, the re-signing of a young Tiger talent, until the end of 2010, would have been drummed up as a big event. Cleve Hughes, Adam Pattison, Travis Casserly and Luke McGuane also made fresh commitments to the club over the mid-season break.

But yesterday, it was the promise of the Wallace-Brown combo that filled the Richmond boardroom. Terry was the man in the middle — it wouldn't be Tuesday without that — but Nathan, sitting just to the left of his coach, undoubtedly was the centre of attention.

"I don't have huge expectations of kicking bags of goals or anything, but just doing my job and making sure that we can get over the line," Brown said.

He would be used, he said, in "shorter spurts". "On and off, so I can get the most out of myself. I guess it'd be silly to play a full game."

In the corridors of Richmond's headquarters afterwards, someone in the know predicted Brown would play about 65 per cent of the match.

Did the clever forward have any doubts or extra nerves, given it was in a Richmond-Melbourne fixture — in round 10, 2005 — that the break occurred?

"No, not at all," Brown said. "It's just another football side. And obviously Matthew Whelan did it and I think he might come back in this week and I'll probably play on him.

"All the doctors are telling me that all the signs are pointing in the right direction and hopefully for a few more years yet I can play some good football … I think I can get back to where I was."

Proving that he has lost no sharpness off-field, Brown expertly plugged a club sponsor by mentioning that he would be trying out some new boots with extra padding.

After he played a couple of pre-season games over summer, the club announced he had a "hot spot" — essentially a stress reaction — in his damaged leg.

Brown said yesterday he'd been pain-free for a month. He has played two matches at reserves level and, apparently, was pushing for a run in the seniors a fortnight ago.

"What we clearly thought as a club was that with the problems Nathan had had, we'd be negligent … to bring him back out and then (possibly) have him break down again," Wallace said yesterday.

Was it reasonable to hope that the dual All-Australian could now be the difference between a narrow loss and a win?

"It's probably unreasonable at this stage," Wallace admitted. "Nathan playing at his best … is a matchwinner and turns games, but all we're wanting him to do is be a contributor in these early games.

"It may take him a few weeks to find his footing. I mean, he's almost going through another mini pre-season period, so expectations certainly … aren't too high."

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/brown-returns-at-last/2007/06/19/1182019117489.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown to face Demons (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 02:37:03 AM »
Brown to face Demons
20 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Michael Horan

NATHAN Brown will make his long-awaited return for Richmond against Melbourne at the MCG on Friday night -- probably against the opponent who accidentally broke his leg two years ago.

Brown will play his first senior game since Round 17 last year.

With Demons defender Matthew Whelan also expected to return after time in the VFL playing for Sandringham, a reunion is likely.

Brown, 29, has played just 10 games in two years since suffering a shocking broken leg against Melbourne in Round 11, 2005, but he now feels sure he is over the worst of his injury and on the way back to his best football.

"I can get back to where I was," he said yesterday.

"I'm pretty keen to show everyone, and my teammates as well, to give them that confidence.

"I don't have huge expectations of kicking bags of goals or anything. I just want to do my job in making sure that we'll get over the line.

"I wouldn't be at full fitness like I was pre-season but, hopefully, the two games (in the VFL) have given me a bit more fitness.

"Hopefully I can get back to full fitness in the next few weeks, but I'm not far off."

Brown has battled repeated swelling and pain in his right leg during his long battle to come back, but said that after a month of no pain, he was ready to get some belated benefit from the season as his team chases its first win.

"I'm really excited. It's been a long time," Brown said.

"It's come a bit late. I would have rather been in there from Round 1, but it hasn't worked out that way. I'm just looking forward to the second half of the year.

"It's been frustrating to watch the side all year -- to be losing by small margins and not being able to be out there and make a difference.

"You see how frustrated the boys are and how frustrated the fans are.

"I believe we're a lot better than where our ladder position sits at the moment.

"Hopefully, towards the end of the season, we can start showing people and get some respect back."

Coach Terry Wallace said he didn't expect miracles from Brown.

"It's only 11 or 12 weeks ago that he was playing really good football during the practice series," Wallace said.

"It's not as it he hasn't played well for 12 months.

"What we saw in the lead-up to the season was very positive. It may take him a few weeks to find his footing.

"He'll go through another mini pre-season period so expectations aren't too high."

Brown expected to played for a limited time in his return.

"It would be silly to play a full game," he said. "Everyone wants to get out there and play a full game, but whatever is best for the team -- probably in shorter spurts on and off to get the best out of myself."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21936087%255E20322,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown factor will lift Tigers: Royal
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
Brown factor will lift Tigers: Royal
5:05 PM Thu 21 June, 2007
By Catherine Murphy,
richmondfc.com.au

TIGERS’ assistant coach Brian Royal says the Brown factor will lift his side for its crunch match with Melbourne at the MCG on Friday night.

“It’s great to have Browny (Nathan) back, he’s a character in himself,” Royal said.

“There’s nothing worse than seeing Nathan Brown around the club with his shoulders slumped and not in a good mood because he’s generally always vibrant, so it’s fantastic to have him back in the side and no doubt he’s going to add something.”

Having just played two games at reserve level so far this season, Royal says that although Brown may not play the full game, he will start.

“I think that there’s going to be times when we have to take him off and give him a rest.

“Who knows what he’s going to give to us out on the field as in goals and assists but I think you’ll find that the team is going to be lifted because he is actually in our side.”

Troy Simmonds is also back from injury and on the track with the senior side but he won’t return to AFL action this weekend. He’ll line up with Coburg in the VFL.

“His game time will be limited but it’s terrific that he’s getting back on the park with the boys and hopefully he’ll get through and won’t be far away from playing AFL football,” Royal said.

He reiterated what seems to be the Richmond mantra at the moment and insisted that despite being without a win so far in the season, morale at Tigerland remained high.

“Within the four walls of the club we’ve been relatively confident. The spirit’s been up. When you’re in the position that we are, you’ve got to make sure as a coaching staff that you stay positive because it can become a dreary place if you’re not,” he said.

Royal says that more than anything, getting a first win on the board is all about restoring pride in the club.

“It’s not just about team pride, it’s about individual pride. Every time you walk over the line you want to put in a good performance.

“Melbourne have come off a couple of wins and they’re in relatively good form. However, in saying that I think we’ve been playing okay footy without actually getting a win.

“Certainly every week’s an opportunity but certainly this week I’d like to think we could get our first win on the board.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=45779

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Brown factor will lift Tigers: Royal
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »
Yeah it will be awesome to see Browny in the yellow and black again and lets hope his ailments are well and truly behind him.
We need to smart and lose tomorrow night in return for draft picks as Dees will go 2.5 games and percentage in front us if we do. Its all part of the greater good. If we win that is great also I will sing the song with gusto but we need to be smart and think of the bigger picture.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 10:23:31 PM »
I think Browny enjoyed chucking away that leg plaster at the start of the footy show. Scotty West said Browny is nervous after being out so long.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers count on Brown (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 03:21:52 AM »
Tigers count on Brown
22 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

RICHMOND hopes star forward Nathan Brown's comeback could be the spark it needs for a breakthrough win against Melbourne at the MCG tonight.

Assistant coach Brian Royal said yesterday he expected Brown's first senior game for the year to lift the Tigers, who remain at the bottom of the AFL ladder.

Brown, who has not played a senior game since Round 17 last year, looked sharp as he completed the Tigers' final training session at Punt Rd yesterday afternoon.

"To have Nathan Brown back in our side, that's what he's going to add to the side, I think," Royal said.

"Who knows what he's going to give to us out on the field, as in goals and assists and those kind of things, but I think the team are going to be lifted because he is actually in our side.

"It's fantastic to have him back in the side and no doubt he is going to add something."

Brown last night was the only inclusion for the Tigers, replacing Kent Kingsley.

Royal said he expected Brown, who has played just 10 games since shattering his leg against Melbourne in Round 11, 2005, to be in the starting line-up.

But he conceded the 29-year-old may need to be eased through his first game back.

"I guess on the night we are going to have to take that into account," Royal said.

"He's probably been back on the training track for three or four weeks and played a couple of games at Coburg, so there are going to be times when we are going to have to take him off and give him rest."

The Tigers have just two points from their Round 10 draw with the Brisbane Lions, but Royal sensed the team's fortunes were about to change.

"Melbourne have come off a couple of wins and they're in relatively good form," he said.

"But in saying that, I think we have been playing OK footy without actually getting a win.

"Every week is an opportunity for us, but certainly this week I would like to think we can get our first win on the board."

Royal confirmed ruckman Troy Simmonds, who has been sidelined with an ankle injury, would make a return for Coburg in the VFL tomorrow.

"His ground time will be limited because he has missed so much football," Royal said.

"But it's terrific to get him back out on the park with the guys, and hopefully he can get through and won't be that far away from playing AFL football."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21947190%255E19771,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 05:13:16 AM »
 :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
The classy finishing skills and character of Browny took the weight off our other leaders/senior players which enabled them to play more their own natural game and he inspired the young cubs who virtually all clicked last night. 

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 07:46:25 AM »
I reckon last nights performance goes to show Browny's value to the side.