Author Topic: Terry on Tuedays  (Read 1737 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Terry on Tuedays
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »
I only caught the last bit of the grab on SEN but Plough said something like they are yet to make their mind up on Simmo. Whether to give him a more game time at Coburg or bring him in for the Saints game on and off the bench.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Terry on Tuedays
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
I only caught the last bit of the grab on SEN but Plough said something like they are yet to make their mind up on Simmo. Whether to give him a more game time at Coburg or bring him in for the Saints game on and off the bench.

Simmo looked really good on the weekend (several classes above VFL), matter of fitness IMO

If he is ready bring him in. If his fitness is still a bit iffy another week at VFL

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:40:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play, mainly because of it being the Saints and Kosi being out. Saints are not a strong ruck side so not having Simmo will hurt a lot less than it would against other teams. Also with no Kosi in it means Polak should be freed up a lot more and it wouldn't hurt as badly using him as the backup ruckman. If Kosi was in it could cause havok if we needed to pull Polak out of defence and into the ruck.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:42:40 PM »
SEN just replayed the grab. Plough would like Simmo to play and Kosi being out won't affect our decision. If he plays it'll be less than more game time. The main question is is it better for Simmo to come in or get more game time into him at VFL level.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:55:52 PM »
shows how little I know....  :P

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Terry on Tuedays - Tigers playing to win (sportal)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »
Tigers playing to win: Wallace
26/06/2007 3:30:26 PM AEST
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond coach Terry Wallace is determined to see his last-placed Tigers finish the 2007 AFL season on a high, even if it means missing out on an extra draft pick at the end of the season.
Simmonds resumed in the VFL last week and is rated a '50/50' chance by Wallace to return this week.

"I thought he was okay (in the VFL) without being outstanding so really it will be up to how he trains," Wallace said when asked if the Tigers' best big man would play this week.
"A lot of people sit there saying do football teams tank and that sort of thing but we want to play some good footy," he said on Tuesday.
"And if that means we miss out on a first round pick or a double pick so be it."

Full article at:
http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/tigers-playing-to-win-wallace

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
channel 10 alluded to the fact that Simmo is playing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Simmonds' return welcomed by Tigers (AAP)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
Simmonds' return welcomed by Tigers
AAP
June 26, 2007 - 5:09PM

As much as 21-year-old Adam Pattison's development has benefitted from carrying the ruck for Richmond this season, he is happy help is finally in sight.

Pattison, who had just 17 AFL matches to his name before this year, has been forced to shoulder the ruck load almost single-handedly after Troy Simmonds, Trent Knobel and Ray Hall all went down injured.

But with No.1 ruckman Simmonds having returned from an ankle injury via the VFL last weekend, Pattison is excited he might finally get some relief against St Kilda on Saturday night.

"It should be great to get him back," Pattison said.

"Hopefully we can have a good ruck partnership, he's just such a good player and he was so important to us last season."

Simmonds broke his ankle in the pre-season, and after returning in round three, re-injured it in round six.

With the big man having pulled up well from his VFL comeback, Tigers coach Terry Wallace said it was a "50-50" call as to whether to include him in the AFL side on Saturday night.

"The biggest part to play for us will be do we think Troy is ready to play at senior level and is there any risk in taking him in?" Wallace said.

"Is it more important for us to play him a lot of ground time at one level down or mid-ground time at the next level?"

Wallace said the bonus out of the ruck injury crisis - a major factor in Richmond's winless first half of the season - was Pattison's emergence.

"We probably didn't want to throw him into the deep end ... that's probably a little bit of a disappointment, but I think it's really helped him develop along quicker than the norm," Wallace said.

"I think his work in getting after the ground ball is a good thing for a big man, he actually gets reasonable numbers and will spread and work hard to get across to the wings and the flanks.

"He's really helped in the middle of the ground.

"Obviously he's giving away size to some of the players he plays on, but the reality is he should be up against a secondary ruckman, he shouldn't be up against the No.1 ruckman."

Meanwhile, Wallace said star forward Nathan Brown pulled up well from his successful comeback against Melbourne on Friday night and would have his game time increased.

He said the Tigers had plenty of motivation against the Saints, who have won their past seven encounters by an average of 60 points.

"St Kilda's had the wood on our club for quite some time now and they have been pretty decent beltings that they've given us along the way," Wallace said.

"From that point of view it's another opportunity to show that we're improving as a team."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Simmonds-return-welcomed-by-Tigers/2007/06/26/1182623895383.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »
Great news that Browny pulled up well  :thumbsup.

"And if that means we miss out on a first round pick or a double pick so be it."
When the side lacks class especially in the guts it does matter Terry. Geelong have been lucky with heaps more quality Father-Sons coming through than any other club picked up cheaply in the 3rd round. Both Abletts, Scarlett, Hawkins, etc... They compensate for the lack of top 4 draft picks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace wants to give fans reasons to dream (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »
Wallace wants to give fans reasons to dream
27 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

TERRY Wallace refused to tease supporters with the promise of x-number of Richmond wins from the final 10 rounds.

What he offered was a competitive approach every week and the prospect of steady improvement.

"What will be creditable is that we're damn competitive," Wallace said.

"(That) our people are actually driving to the game thinking that they've got a chance of going home with a victory under their belt, not driving to the games wondering whether they're going to get belted or not.

"If we're at Round 20 and our supporters are legitimately coming along for the right reasons, to see Will Thursfield develop his game, to see these two guys (Adam Pattison and Jake King) continuing to develop, to see (Brett) Deledio and (Richard) Tambling burning through the middle of the ground . . . that's about where I reckon we should be."

Wallace said if that attitude brought sufficient wins to push Richmond down the order in the national draft, so be it.

"We want to play some good footy; it's really important. People sit there going 'Do football sides tank?' and things like that," Wallace said.

"We just saw what Hawthorn did at the end of last year, having a good run in the run home, as being really important in setting them up for a good summer, a positive summer.

"We spoke at the halfway mark and we were disappointed about the results and wanted to do something about that.

"We're keen to have a buoyant finish to our season. If that means you miss out on a first-round pick, or a double pick, so be it.

"I think there's been a lot of sides that haven't necessarily had to absolutely bottom out (to improve).

"Have a look at Geelong. Geelong have never been right down to the depths of last place, but they've still managed to be able to grow and develop themselves along the way.

"I don't see that anything says that by doing that (dropping games) gets you results."

Richmond won its first game of the season on Friday night, against Melbourne, leaving it at the bottom but only half a win behind the Demons.

All of a sudden, it is the Tigers who are seen as the danger floater among the bottom four.

"There was a lot that's been mentioned over the last few days about our opposition, but we were really pleased with our attack on the footy and the way we went about playing the game," Wallace said.

"We pick what we believe is the right side for each and every game. I don't worry about what others are saying out in the marketplace.

"People are saying, 'Why aren't they playing Jack Riewoldt? He's been an emergency for four to five weeks'.

"I don't necessarily see anyone else playing their first-year key position players.

"What I don't like doing is, I don't like giving the guernsey, the Richmond jumper, to someone who really doesn't earn it."

Players had to earn their "rite of passage", not simply get a chance because they were were young and available.

Wallace rated Troy Simmonds a 50-50 chance to return this week for the Telstra Dome clash with St Kilda.

Unusually, he refused to offer an opinion on the Anthony Rocca case, but did suggest the Glenn Archer milestone would drive the Kangaroos against the Western Bulldogs on Sunday.

"Guys with that much respect, I think, it works. I remember back in my own time (at Hawthorn), I remember running out on to the Whitten Oval on Leigh Matthews' 300th game, and we weren't going to lose," Wallace said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21974521%255E19742,00.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »
Great news that Browny pulled up well  :thumbsup.

When the side lacks class especially in the guts it does matter Terry. Geelong have been lucky with heaps more quality Father-Sons coming through than any other club picked up cheaply in the 3rd round. Both Abletts, Scarlett, Hawkins, etc... They compensate for the lack of top 4 draft picks.

im with terry here MT
playing well and winning id more imp than picks.

no guarantee early picks will give us better players

eg, polo, kills meyer as a player

look where  raines was picked etc

its all about how the kids picked are developed

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »
Didn't Hird go for pick 72 or something?