Author Topic: Who do we believe?  (Read 1267 times)

Bulluss

Who do we believe?
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:33:25 PM »
I am not really on anyones side for this battle which is looming at Punt Road. I do want the best thing for the club and also want us to have a stable period so that we can attract the best coach and also best recruits.

BUT:

When Schwab and Welsh left the board earlier this year, they did say that they were unhappy with the way that things were being run and that Schwab had warned Casey of the dangerous postion that the club was faced with. Casey at the time denied this problem and probably just hoped that the problem would go away and not turn out to be so bad. Well that has come back to bite him on the arse, and it could turn out to be his downfall.

Two months ago, everyone was calling for Caseys head to roll, maybe Schwab would do a better job as president(atleast we know he has yellow and black blood) compared to Casey who has been accused of being an Essendon supporter for many years and not really knowing all that much about us.

Who really cares if he has money to throw around the club for now, it wont last and look what it did to Melbourne. I know its not the ideal time for a spill of the board but maybe if Casey sees the light tomorrow he may step aside and let Schwab take over.

Maybe the solution is as mentioned on the news tonight that the whole board has offered their positions up for re-election at the AGM if the new tickets holds off.

Maybe Miller and Parkin could also include Wood and Welsh on the selection committee to help in the process to choose a coach so that it keeps everyone happy.

I really dont know which way we should go, but i dont want to see us miss out on getting the best coach available for the first time in years.

RFC please dont stuff it up this time. For a change! :(

I still feel Miller is the man to lead us to success.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who do we believe?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:42:19 AM »
It's very hard to believe anyone anymore. Both sides are lead by people who have played a major part in where we are (or should that be aren't) today and when initially joining the board they promised alot and said many thigns we wanted hear but then failed miserably when it came to backing up their words with actions. Each time we have a board challenge we hear the same promises over and over again about starting a fresh, getting the best and right people to the club, being financilly responsible, re-uniting the club moving forward etc.... However nothing in the end ever changes for the better.

I can only put my faith in Miller as he comes across in what he says and does as having a definite plan and doesn't deviate from it. I haven't necessarily agreed 100% with all that he has done so far but he IMHO has far more on and off-field footy nouse than any of the dopes now challenging to be our president next year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:51:27 AM »
It is hard to know who to believe. I reckon that's why this is such an emotive issue.

When it is all said and done we only have peoples past efforts to go by and let's be honest the records are not that great.

I am all in favour of change if it is in the best interst of the Club but I am dead set against change for the sake of it. It has got us nowhere in the past and it wont get us anywhere in the future.

My faith like many others is with Greg Miller because he is the only person there at the moment with any real football smarts. Like MT I haven't agreed with all his decisions but at least he continues to believe in re-builing rather short term fixes and short sighted decisions. I look at Jackson, Hartigan and the other young blokes and know they were long term decisions

If so many people within in the footy industry says this instability will impact on us getting a top line coach then it must have some merit. I don't take much notice of some media people but when someone like David Parkin says it - then I definitely take it on board.

For the first time in years we have a great opportunity to get the very best coach available. Right know that has to be our number one priority because our future depends on it.

Like Bully said - RFC please don't stuff it up this time!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 08:53:01 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:29:58 AM »
Who do you believe?  Good question.  Wish I had the answer.

The only thing we have to go on is past history, as WP says.

Past history says that us going down this track where there are board room brawls gets us nowhere, long-term at least.

If we want to get ourselves out of this eternal merry-go-round we seem to be on then we can start by not allowing people to come in over the top of Boards and causing mayhem.  If people want to get on the Board then go through the correct channels, instead of rail-roading the Club and sending us backwards.

Schwab, Welsh and Humphris have all been at the Club during unsuccessful times.  They have had their time.  Thank you for your contribution.  Next.

Going on past history, Schwab is no President.  After at least 7 months, he still couldn’t convince the Board of the dire situation the Club was in.  After yet at least another 7 months, he finally puts together this alternative ticket.  If that’s how quickly he moves and does business and it’s up to him to get this Club back on track then we will go nowhere.  His track record tells us so.

In amongst the heavy weight AFL Clubs and Presidents, Schwab will be a lightweight and we will get pushed around on just about every issue.  If those who are on this ticket nominated Schwab as their “leader” and potentially the next Richmond president then they have rocks in their head.

Apart from anything else, there is no guarantee of success whichever way we go.  But we have to stop these ego driven board spills that seem to occur all too regularly and ultimately give a select few the right to make decisions on behalf of Richmond members, as is happening now.  When do we ever get to have a real say on anything?  We always seem to have situations forced upon us.  Is it any wonder we’re stuffed?

On that basis, I’m on the side of sticking with what we have and, at the appropriate time, vote on who should and shouldn’t be on the Board.

As it stands:

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday he had no problem with the current Richmond board, describing it as being "upfront and transparent" with the league.

"Any club that suffers that sort of loss, you would be concerned about, but we haven't got any concerns about the long-term viability of the Richmond Football Club," Demetriou said.

The AFL has gone through financial issues with RFC and is comfortable with things.  If they don’t have an issue then neither do I.  Casey may not be the ideal President and has a few crosses next to his name, but he’s got more chance of getting this Club moving than Schwab and co.  And seeing as he's put himself up for re-election in January 2005, members can have their say then.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.