Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 18. David Rodan  (Read 2231 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 18. David Rodan
« on: July 28, 2004, 03:31:20 AM »
As the season is now about judging who stays or goes at the end of the year, thought we might have a look at each player who is on a knife's edge and get opinions until the end of the season.

As he had his best game in a long time, what should happen to Rodan - keep him or let him go? Is there a future for him at Punt Road?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
Re: Yeah or Neah - 18. David Rodan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:18:42 AM »
Rodan is a player that has the potential to break a game open and win it, this is a rare trait at the moment, even thought he has struggled, more so due to lack of confidence and game time i believe under the right coach and with the young brigade stepping up to the plate he will prove to be a major asset, theres at least 12 players I'd like to see delisted or traded before Rodan is.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:09:27 AM »
We need a crumbing forward to kick 30-odd goals a year to support the taller timber, if he can fill this void and be a part-time on-baller to give the A-team a rest, I have no qualms with him staying.

He has been dissapointing as of late and it appears that his energy has been sucked out of him. THe sad problem is with the current regime a lot of young kids have been hampered so how can we truly judge him?

When he is energetic and firing, he is a breath of fresh air and gets things pumping so that may be a good trait.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 11:58:35 AM »
He has been dissapointing as of late and it appears that his energy has been sucked out of him. THe sad problem is with the current regime a lot of young kids have been hampered so how can we truly judge him?

That's one of the problems we face om21 - how do we judge them? Look at Pettifer finally getting game time and showing something.

Last week was the first time this season Rodan has been thrown on the ball for longer than 10 minutes a quarter.

Generally we are a slow team so his pace should be an asset. I can think of a few others that should go before him but at the same time he is another one of those players that we would probably get something for.

To be honest I am not sure what to do with him but I think the next 5 weeks will determine his fate
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:55:53 PM »
Bung him in the middle and encourage him to run the lines, much like he played on Sunday, cause that's where his strength lies. I'd give him another year....3rd year's usually the make or break.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 09:35:27 PM »
I agree Disco and WP.
Rodan was quite exciting to watch when he debuted in 2002.
Somewhere along the way  that brash have no fear take them all on attitude disappeared.
I believe his development has been hampered by the current coaching regime.
He showed something last week that he still has what it takes.
Lets hope he gets the game time to get some consistency happening.
Worth keeping.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 12:35:28 AM »
I'd give him one more year to prove his worth. Only becuase there are so many duds that we have though. I predict he'll have a slightly better year next year, will fool the club into signing him up again and will be gone by the end of 2006.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 03:03:57 AM »
D-Rod's height or lack of it was what made other clubs overlook him and let him slip through to our pick 33. Now nearing the end of his third year at the Club that question mark over him still remains. He's quick and can break the lines which is something we badly lack in our team however he hasn't shown nowhere near enough of this trait this year as his confidence obviously waned and when he does such as last week he needs to improve his decision making in this regard as he regularly chooses to tuck the ball under his arm and "take 'em on" when the first option of a quick pass to a open forward line would've been the best option. I also question whether his first thought is to run because he doesn't appear to have enough depth to his kicking to make the distance to hit a teammate on the chest.

I'm not sure when his contract runs out. We have him down in the OER profiles as 2005?. I would give him another year as well unless there was a strongly favourable trade.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 08:13:52 AM »
Keep
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 04:06:42 PM »
If Rodan keeps up his good form in the midfield of the past two weeks for the rest of the year he would be a good chance to save himself from the chop.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 04:25:27 PM »
If Rodan keeps up his good form in the midfield of the past two weeks for the rest of the year he would be a good chance to save himself from the chop.

Amazing what game time will do  :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 04:33:55 PM »
What WP? You dont think that playing him for 5-8 minutes a quarter isnt game-time? I mean its ludicrous....hes actually playing 3 quarters now....how is he supposed to develop like that?

:shh
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne