Author Topic: Hawks go after Chris Judd  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hawks go after Chris Judd
« on: July 28, 2004, 02:51:20 PM »
Hawks set their sights on Judd
28 July 2004   Herald Sun

HAWTHORN is making an audacious play for West Coast wonder kid Chris Judd.

The Eagles have already rejected an unofficial trade offer, but the bottom-of-the-table Hawks are refusing to give up the chase.

It's understood they have offered the Eagles their priority draft choice -- most likely first overall in the 2004 national draft -- as well as two players for the 21-year-old superstar.

They hope to sway the Eagles to use the No. 1 pick to grab local star-in-waiting Lance Franklin, a 193cm key forward.

The players linked to a possible deal are Hawks full-back Jonathan Hay and small forward Mark Williams, both West Australians.

Melbourne clubs anticipate Judd returning home and already are juggling their salary cap for a tilt at one of, if not the, most exciting player in the competition.

The Hawks believe they can convince West Coast to trade Judd at the end of this year to avoid a possible Nick Stevens situation at the end of 2005.

The Hawks have embarked on a 3-5 year rebuilding program and want Judd, with No. 1 draft pick Luke Hodge, as the pillars on which the team could be built.

Franklin, who represented Western Australia in the recent national under-18 championships, is tipped to go top three at the draft.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10267198%255E20322,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Hawks go after Chris Judd
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:57:51 PM »
I don’t think any Club would even start to consider trading Judd unless they had priority picks 1 and 2, plus Round 1 picks 1 and 2 on the table. :gobdrop

Might sound over the top, but which Club would even begin to contemplate trading him unless he wanted to leave or there was an amazing offer on the table?

What Hawthorn is offering sounds like chicken feed.

If they want to do a deal with West Coast then they would need to throw in Luke Hodge and then some you would think.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:18:26 PM »
This is as far-fetched a deal as you can get. No way you would trade Judd for only a first round pick unless he wanted to go back to Victoria. Chucking in 2 players from the bottom side as well isn't much of an offer.

From our perspective it would be a great deal though. Franklin goes to the Eagles as first pick and then we have first crack at the rest - Deledio, Griffin, etc...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 03:20:36 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:19:55 PM »
Strange times indeed. Jon Hay & Williams and pick 1 - doesn't work for me. Hay's injury prone and Williams is ...er.... Idon't like him :P. You'd want the Hawks to throw in a Mitchell rather than a Williams.

Though they reckon young Franklin is a gun young player
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:54:54 PM »
This is as far-fetched a deal as you can get. No way you would trade Judd for only a first round pick unless he wanted to go back to Victoria. Chucking in 2 players from the bottom side as well isn't much of an offer.

From our perspective it would be a great deal though. Franklin goes to the Eagles as first pick and then we have first crack at the rest - Deledio, Griffin, etc...

And then top it off with Luke Hodge in the PSD  :thumbsup
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 04:19:24 AM »
Now the Hawks are apparently chasing after Pagan link ::).

Thank goodness Richmond are playing their cards close to their chest and not letting every next move end up in paper the next day. I would of thought the coaching candidates would prefer it that way rather than what Hawthorn are doing.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd